Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

PMDG 747 wind shift problems with AS 2012

I just installed Active Sky 2012, with the latest updates, to try to eliminate wild wind shifts at altitude in the PMDG 747. Only after purchasing the product, and reading the README file, did I discover that DWC in AS 2012 can make the problem worse. The problem is still there and the aircraft still has major airspeed fluctuations at high altitudes when the wind abruptly changes.

I don't have FSUIPC yet, but I'm thinking I'm gonna need that too. The AS 2012 manual has recommended settings for both, but they seem contradictory. Do I use AS 2012 DWC, or do I disable wind smoothing in FSUIPC, etc.,etc. I'm pretty confused at this point.

Are any of you using both? If so, what settings are you using in each application and does it solve the wind shift problem? Try to be specific since I'm not very tech savy.

Thanks.

Pete Locascio

I had my AS 2012 selected to DWC that was before I discovers I could make 3rd party airplanes like PMDG make steep S- turns, so I selected to Standard and never got those steep S-turns again. I also lowered the maximum windshear and wind turbulence a bit just in case it wouldn't go all crazy.

I have active sky, and fsuipc, I haven't changed any of the settings in active sky or fsuipc and I don't get s bends.

Get FSUIPC, it is kind of a requirement for flight simulator

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Disabling turbulence effects in FSX options should help with S-turns. As for AS2012 in DWC I'm quite surprised that it can cause such problems. I've been using it (ASE) with all my addon airplanes (J41, MD11, NGX, etc) and never had any problems (besides the bug in FSUIPC which actually caused s-turns, but it was solved long time ago). Generally I prefer Smooth Cloud Transitions in AS2012, but when I switch to DWC I turn off all weather options in FSUIPC. Of course 747 is quite old now and could be written in other way than other PMDG products.

What I mean is you pick initial settings when you install active sky or FSUIPC. I'm reasonably sure that you need to have each set up for optimum performance. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Are you using wind smoothing in FSUIPC and DWC in active sky? I'm not having problems with s-turns, only wild wind shifts. Thanks

Pete Locascio

Are you, by any chance, using some old or unregistered FSUIPC? The only situation when wind shifts were happening to me in DWC mode, was when weather was stacked/hanged (I don't know proper word), by FSUIPC, and as I mentioned this bug was solved, but could be still present in unregistered version.

DWC does not need any additional smoothing in FSUIPC.

I just downloaded the latest version today and registered it. I disabled the weather in FSUIPC, but limited the wind direction and speed changes using the wind menu. So AS is running the weather and so far it seems to work OK.

I'm doing a flight on VATSIM from KSEA to KIAH. If I fall out of the sky you'll probabaly see the smoke. Not from the airplane, but from my computer as I trash it and burn it.

Pete Locascio

It just happened again. This time the airspeed dropped 40 knots, but I didn't see a large change in the wind. I think I'm gonna find a hobby that's a lot less frustrating than this is. I've spent way too much time and money on all these addons.

Pete Locascio

It just happened again. This time the airspeed dropped 40 knots, but I didn't see a large change in the wind. I think I'm gonna find a hobby that's a lot less frustrating than this is. I've spent way too much time and money on all these addons.

Were you on a VATSIM flight? Were you using FSInn? If so, it's critical that you disable all weather effects in FSInn itself; otherwise, you could experience temperature anomalies at altitude and thus see that airspeed issue. Also, make sure you have the latest beta patch for AS2012; it's version 4755.

I've flown dozens of VATSIM flights in the PMDG MD-11 and PMDG 737, among others, with no problems. Wind smoothing (only) is enabled in FSUIPC, and AS2012 is set to DWC mode. That's it, and it's working for me.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png