Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Aivlasoft EFB Questions

So thinking about getting this but have a few questions. Can you use this as a stand alone chart viewer? Or do you have to have it integrated with fsx? If it had to be integrated, how does it affect fsx with respect to that 4GB memory limit? Really don't want anything else eating away over what I currently have eating away towards that 4gb OOM issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

I don't use it as a chart viewer at all...it'll display a map that approximates the plan view on an approach chart, but it does not display jepp plates.

It runs external to FSX and communicates via Simconnect, so it has its own VAS memory space that does not eat into the VAS allocated to FSX.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yes, you can use it as a standalone chart viewer, fsx does not to be running. However, it is not as detailed as a Jepp chart, but does draw its data from whatever airac cycle you have installed so the routes and sids and stars are accurate. There should be some screen shots of the various types of charts (departure, enroute, arrival and approach) on their website. It does have a neat feature where you can look at all the sids and stars. This makes choosing one a lot simpler.

I wouldn't recommend it as a chart viewer. As mentioned it takes its data from navigraph and misses stuff on some charts like altitude crossing restrictions.

I use it as a primary source of descent planning but if it misses approach plate info I use aircharts.org as a backup source.

It's other major benefit is airport navigation and gate number referencing.

I will say though, that the approach plates for runways have all most all the info you find on the real chart, minus maybe some misc data such as obstacles and etc.

I've tried fscommander, FSTramp, DBS airport GPS, fswidgets' efb, and navigraph's NDAC viewer.

In the end aivlasoft has the most streamlined and comprehensive navigational aid package.

Imo, the only thing above it would be jeppesen's efb package airlines buy for their commercial pilots.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

Airac cycle? Navigraph? Where is EFB getting its info from, one or the other or both, or are they both the same? lol...

How do you know what version of what you have installed and how do you update them/it?

Can you tell I'm real good at this.. :P

Navigation databases are updated every 28 days. Each 28 day period is called an Airac cycle. In real world, I should only use the latest released cycle.

Now where can one get the updated Navdata for each cycle? You can buy each cycle from either Navigraph or AeroSoft (NavData Pro).

Hope this helps (without explaining all the things that are included in the Navdata)!

Airac cycle? Navigraph? Where is EFB getting its info from, one or the other or both, or are they both the same? lol...

How do you know what version of what you have installed and how do you update them/it?

Can you tell I'm real good at this.. :P

And Navigraph has a self installer, just make sure you use the one for Aivlasoft.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I do not recommend this one. If you want more realism, just stick to real world charts. Aivlasoft EFB use Navigraph AIRAC to "create" charts, and your FMC does the same. I can't see the reason to use this EFB.

Ah haaa, so Airac is the actual 28 day cycle of Navigraph data? That makes more sense... Cheers guys..

I just registered at Navigraph.com and see there are 2 sets, 1 for EFB and 1 set for the PMDG,, so if flying the NGX, and using EFB, I assume I would need both, 1 to make sure FSX/EFB is up to date and the other to make sure the PMDG FMC is up to date and matching it... Is that about right? (All assumed from my lack of knowing what I am doing)

David, I really like EFB, its a lot more "Visual" than just a bunch of numbers in a little calculator (FMC) lol

I like the moving map too, and the airport maps... Maybe it just doesn't float your boat, but oh well... Horses for courses huh..

I use it every time I fly alongside the jepp charts. It's very good although as stated above does occasionally miss things.

It's a good quick reference and helps greatly with you situational awareness!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Thanks for the answers. So to be sure this application is a standalone and does not use up any fsx resources or memory? I run a single computer with two monitor setup. I plan on having it on the second monitor

Eric 

Thanks for the answers. So to be sure this application is a standalone and does not use up any fsx resources or memory? I run a single computer with two monitor setup. I plan on having it on the second monitor

You could run it from a networked PC if you so wished it.

EFB has two components. The data connector, and the EFB program itself. The connector will sit on the same machine as FSX - then you could install the EFB program wherever you want, but also works on the same machine. And yes I can confirm it doesn't affect FSXs memory usage.

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I have the same setup, and it works perfectly.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I do not recommend this one. If you want more realism, just stick to real world charts. Aivlasoft EFB use Navigraph AIRAC to "create" charts, and your FMC does the same. I can't see the reason to use this EFB.

Airport navigation (gates/ramps, taxiways, runways and headings), quick approach plate referencing, comprehensive SID/STAR overviews for individual airports, moving map, wind indicator, online traffic integration (AI, VATSIM, IVAO), VATSIM/IVAO integration (boundary lines, real time tunable available frequencies), weather/metar/taf lookup.....

There is plenty this efb does besides just reference chart data.

Airport navigation (gates/ramps, taxiways, runways and headings), quick approach plate referencing, comprehensive SID/STAR overviews for individual airports, moving map, wind indicator, online traffic integration (AI, VATSIM, IVAO), VATSIM/IVAO integration (boundary lines, real time tunable available frequencies), weather/metar/taf lookup.....

There is plenty this efb does besides just reference chart data.

Wow, that does do a lot. Ginna have to get it.

Eric