Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikehaska

XP OFFICE TO XP HOME

Guest Dan CYKA

Don't ask why, we'll just say that my kid's friend is a complete idiot.Is it very difficult or even possible to swith from XP Office back to XP Home?Thanks

Guest kilo_sierra17

What you are talking about is not possible, XP Home is an OS, XP Office, is just the newest version of Microsoft Office, which is a bunch of programs to use.

Guest brewmaster

Office XP can be downgraded to a previous version of office if that is what you are talking about. If you talking about uninstalling Windows XP (the OS) thats a bit more complicated. Why would you want to though? Not trying to be mean, but are you sure you have the right person pegged as the idiot?Brew

Guest Dan CYKA

OK I made a mistake. I ment that I wanted to switch from XP Pro back to XP Home. Sorry about the confusion. Yes I have the correct idiot.Thanks for any insight

The only way to do that is a clean install of XP Home. There is no migration path between the two XP versions. Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Dan CYKA

Thanks for the answer Doug. I tried installing XP Home again but it said that it could not be "upgraded to the Home version from XP Pro. The problem I am having is that he put a pirate copy of XP Pro on my system and I want to get rid of it.So do I have to completly format my HD to get it done or can it be done another way.BTW using the restore is not an option as I do not know how long it has been on. It was only when I was doing some work that I discovered what had been done while I was away for some time.Thanks again

Guest Rob

Yep ... safest way to remove the offending material is to format.

Guest Bill Kunert

The problem I am having is that he put a pirate>copy of XP Pro on my system and I want to get rid of it.I think I'd kill the kid that did it if he ever came near my computer again and I'd give my son restricted access to the computer.RegardsBill

Guest mikehaska

If I can offer my point of view...While I don't condone software piracy, the only way I learned computers was by playing around with them, breaking them, and then having to fix them. Because of that tinkering, I went to to learn the ins-and-outs of system maintainence, software operations, and computer hardware. I look at my sister, who had no such experience, and she is stumped by the simplest computer tasks. Even today, I love doing playing around with the tech stuff. On the website I am the webmaster of, the most fun I've ever had was implementing a PHP/MySQL content management system a few months ago. Right now, I'm playing around with a script that will parse some DB information into a printout to simplify my life.Long story short- if I wasn't given the chance to learn from my mistakes, I would never have learned, period. Maybe let your son try fixing this mistake, or at least work with him on the problem. The hassle you face now could be outweighed by the positive effects of the experience.