Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Creating new terrain/harbours in WED

Hi Guys,

With all the snow that's been hitting the UK this last week, I found myself with some time off. So I decieded to look into scenery creation for XPX just to fill out the world a bit. So I choose a nice simple airport, RJCR or Rebun airport in the north of Japan. Now I first edited the airport where it was, but after sorting out an underlay satellite image just for reference and found the airport to be slightly wrong place. So I rebuilt airport and I thought I'd fill in a bit of scenery around the runway.

The problem is though I'm unsure how to create a harbour wall, edit some roads in and level some of the terrain out.

In fairness I've found WED 1.2 to be very good if not yet fully finished (yes I know it's a beta). Opensceneryx is also an excellent resource.

So does anyone have any idea how to create harbour walls? The only solution I've found so far is to use the 'construction.fac' facade to create the basic shape, but its not to great, being a bit high, despite setting the height to just 0.1.

So is there anything I can do to improve things?

Best wishes,

Jess B

When starting to do things like harbour walls etc;, you need to start to consider using a 3d package such as blender. "Overlay editor" is a simple way to add objects but you can use WED now for this too I think.

There is a bit of a learning process involved in doing these things. Here is one place to start learning some things http://marginal.org.uk/x-planescenery/

You can't level terrain out AFAIK

Regards

Thanks Jason,

I had hoped to avoid blender but in for a penny I guess. As for terrain, that's unfortunate. It would be a really cool feature to have in WED. It would certainly make it much more powerful.

I have a question in this regard...

In the default instillation i have an area of land that is reality is supposed to be water, how do i fix that issue???

Can i change the default terrain data to show water instead?