Sign in to follow this  
3Green

Bombardier releases CSeries photos

Now explain the Pringles booster! And the thing with the rice! :P

Now explain the Pringles booster! And the thing with the rice! :P

From the picture I can't tell if the Pringles booster is on a plane. If it is call the applicable regulatory agency and never ever fly with that airline. Unfortunately I went to university to the Netherlands, not Canada, so rice slipping through the grill was not covered :P.

Both ATR with the new 600 series and Bombardier with the Q400 are dominating the Regional markets. There are many reasons for this, I will list a few of the key ones below.

1. On a typical flight the turboprops burn an average of 40% less fuel

2. The turboprops reach the same destination with 15 minutes of the regional jet.

3. Both the ATR-600 and Dash-8-Q400 feature state of the art flight decks same as the major airliners.

4. The turboprops are now a whole lot quieter, some even find them quieter than regional jets.

5. The turboprops can get into airports that the regional jets can't as their minimum takeoff distance is much shorter than any regional jet including the CRJ-200

6. The new digital entertainment system in the cabin is on par with many basic airliner jets, making them more appealing to consumers.

To hear just how much of an improvement the latest turboprop is look at this video below, you will find it hard to believe that its a turboprop:

This is what the new cabin looks like in the ATR-600:

This is the new flight deck of the ATR-600 (the Q400 is quite similar):

atr20-60020series20cockpit.jpg

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

You guys are forgetting the one thing that allows us to work all day..

index-1_zps9e991699.jpg

Speaking about the bbq....I live in "Northern" Alberta, it gets pretty cold here -40C right now actually. However my mom is South African, and in the winter on the rare days it is above -15 in our little suburb you might smell the smell of cooking steak or chicken on the bbq ( or "brai"). When our neighbors drive by and see this women all bundled up out on the back deck cooking her steak at -20 they always take a second look lol

I have had several people in the industry tell me, for what it's worth, that regional jets are on their way out, to be replaced by turboprops. The problem with regional jets is they they come at the high purchase cost of a jet, they have the high maintenance cost of a jet, the high fuel consumption of a jet, and with the low seating capacity of a turboprop, so it's like you get the worst of both worlds...you get all the bad things and nothing good.

I have had several people in the industry tell me, for what it's worth, that regional jets are on their way out, to be replaced by turboprops. The problem with regional jets is they they come at the high purchase cost of a jet, they have the high maintenance cost of a jet, the high fuel consumption of a jet, and with the low seating capacity of a turboprop, so it's like you get the worst of both worlds...you get all the bad things and nothing good.

Very true....The other consideration is the amount of time a jet gets from A to B on a short route compared to a Turboprop, the difference is too small to make those cost increased worth while.

A jet will takeoff faster then a turboprop and a jet will get up to altitude and cruise faster, but the advantages end there. A jet has no advantage over a turboprop when descending and arriving at an airport.

On short routes a jet usually saves about ~10 minutes of time for more then double the cost. Boston to Newark is a good example of a short route. Jet will takeoff and get to altitude faster but will have to descend without much cruise time and will get stuck in busy airspace like everyone else, so it may save about 5 to 10 minutes over all.

Consider the passenger will get stuck in things like traffic, parking, security, the waiting at the gate, the taxi time of the aircraft and waiting for a departure, 10 minutes saved in flight time isn't even noticeable to the passenger,

Matthew Kane

The only downside turboprops have is their perceived poor safety record. The uneducated flying public seems to think that the planes with the propellor thingies crash all the time while the jets do not. I guess they see the prop as like more moving parts, or maybe the prop makes the aircraft look like something from the 50's to them.

In reality the turboprop design especially by P&W is extremely efficient and reliable. Their PT6 engines are featured on thousands upon thousands of aircraft world wide, many of them have over 6000 hours runtime on them. However as you stated many people seem to think that a turboprop is antiquated and therefore not as safe as a turbofan.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

I guess they see the prop as like more moving parts, or maybe the prop makes the aircraft look like something from the 50's to them.

Yeah I think both of these are big factors, a couple years ago I took a short trip from Edmonton to Calgary and we saw the aircraft was a Air Canada Jazz Q300 and I was happy as it is rare I get to fly in a turboprop as most of my flights are long, but my father when he saw it was going on like we were about to get in a Wright flyer.. He actually liked it after the flight however.

I love my job. This is one of our last Dash-8's that I fly into Kapalua. I'll be moving back to the ATR-72 next month.

In reality the turboprop design especially by P&W is extremely efficient and reliable. Their PT6 engines are featured on thousands upon thousands of aircraft world wide, many of them have over 6000 hours runtime on them. However as you stated many people seem to think that a turboprop is antiquated and therefore not as safe as a turbofan.

You just nailed another one my friend...

Matthew Kane