I have been a FSX flight simmer for a number of years and have had great pleasure in using it.

I recently upgraded to a new high end gamming computer and saw some AMAZING scenery screen shots and video about X-Plane so I decided to switch.

After spending a good coin and getting is all setup, I find that the scenery is total crap!!!

Airport buildings are missing, total cities are missing! Sooooo.......where do all of these lovely pics and video's come from????

I just don't get it. I have all settings on extreme at all times!

Any suggestions?

The best FSX and X-Plane screenshots have one thing in common. They're both loaded with addons.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

new user and he starts by bashing xp10 :lol: something fishy going on in here :Thinking: FSX forum is two threads up and then make a left turn at the corner of FS9 and Flight avenue :P

I have been a FSX flight simmer for a number of years and have had great pleasure in using it.

I recently upgraded to a new high end gamming computer and saw some AMAZING scenery screen shots and video about X-Plane so I decided to switch.

After spending a good coin and getting is all setup, I find that the scenery is total crap!!!

Airport buildings are missing, total cities are missing! Sooooo.......where do all of these lovely pics and video's come from????

Any suggestions?

OMG XP10 is soooo crappy looking :lol:

Any suggestions?

a refund and an Optometrist :lol: Just%20Kidding.gif

Ok, so this video is NOT going to come from my X-Plane 10!! I'm not bashing it. I need help to get it set up properly I guess.

I'm guessing this video was not made by the X-plane 10 out of the box!!

Any suggestions?

Hi floydh and welcome to the X-Plane forum! :)

First of all, can you link the videos you're talking about? As suggested, they could probably be loaded with add-ons.

Regarding your questions:

1) X-Plane does not have generic airport buildings. This means that almost all airports will be without buildings. I say almost because if you have the Aerosoft version of X-Plane 10, you will have scenery for some european airports (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

2) Regarding cities, the autogen and urban textures of X-Plane are still being actively developed and improved. X-Plane is continually updated, the latest version is 10.20 beta. Make sure that you updated your X-Plane to the latest version. To install and update X-Plane, DO NOT USE THE INSTALLER FOUND ON THE DVD, use instead the installer/updater found here: http://www.x-plane.c...taller-updater/

3) Can you provide us with a screenshot of your rendering settings?

Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thanks Marco for being kind. After reading the first reply to my post I was considering getting as far away from this X-Plane clan as possible. All my settings are on the highest settings.

Hey Marco;

How do I get my screen shot and pics on here for you to see?

Thanks Marco for being kind. After reading the first reply to my post I was considering getting as far away from this X-Plane clan as possible. All my settings are on the highest settings.

Hey Marco;

Welcome to the XP Forums, Floyd! Don't take Isis too serious... It just happens you show up in what has been a pretty heated forum in the past week, so tensions are running high! hahaha

Ok, let's see if we can help... It would help if you would go to your profile and fill out the section for your system specs. This way we can see what system you have. Also, show us a screenshot of your settings page within XP.

Once you do that, we can start trying to figure out what is wrong with your install..

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Hey Marco;

After going to the rendering settings screen and taking a screenshot (SHIFT + SPACE), post a message here (click on "More reply options"), you'll see an "Attach Files" box, click "Browse...", choose the screenshot you made (you find it in the main X-Plane folder), then "Attach this file", wait a second for it to upload, a thumbnail of it will appear, then click "Add to post".

However, it's highly advisable that you first convert the original screenshot from .png format to .jpg format, to decrease the file size.

Maybe I'm going yo bed, but you'll find other helpful people here :)

EDIT: Also, try uploading some screenshots of the scenery so we can see what you don't like. :-)

Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hey BimmerCop;

I have updated my computer info.

Opps, there's the Rendering Options. Meant to send it to Marco.

Hey BimmerCop;

I have updated my computer info.

Ok, Floyd... I see now... Well, for starters, I don't have much experience with ATI cards, so I can't comment on how well they perform with XP. I know LR highly recommends nVidia cards for XP but like i said, I personally don't know much about them.

Overall, you have a very capable system for XP, no doubt. Realistically, running ALL SLIDERS to extreme is really pushing it. We need to see your rendering settings. Follow the guide MurMur posted above, so you can post that screenshot.

But let me ask you this... Why exactly do you mean by looks like crap? Is it image quality such as blurriness, shimmering, etc, or is it just lack of buildings and objects?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Opps, there's the Rendering Options. Meant to send it to Marco.

Uhmmm... Ok so everything's on max... As I said, some urban areas are better than others in X-Plane since that aspect is still being developed. Have you updated to the latest version (10.20 beta)? Send us a screenshot so we can see what you don't like in the scenery?

I wished my FSX looked like the videos of FSX I see on youtube... :-)

Its perfectly smooth. Runs great but the houses, the trees, streets and the like are very cartoon'ish! Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll check out some "stuff" and check back here tomorrow.

Well, I'm with you on this. Coming from a good pimped FSX, X-Plane looks awful after the first start. But if we would reinstall FSX without all the add ons, how would it look?

The biggest mistake people make (I too) is to compare both sims. I like to give XP a fair chance, so I will stay away from the corner of the world that I like most in FSX, North America, with UTX landclass, GEX textures and even ORBX/Tongass Fjords X scenery. I don't want to compare, so I will make XP my "Europe sim".

My plan is to install photo scenery, OSM buildings and airport scenery. I'm sure it will look good.

You have good hardware so you should be able to enjoy it, once you added some stuff to it.

Don't give up because some X People will tell you "You want landmarks and seasons? Then XP is not for you..." Some even turn bugs into features.

Don't compare, don't praise FSX, don't praise XP and it should work. That's the way I want to do it.

I can see from Isis' posted video why some people might find the buildings cartoonish. Personally, this doesn't bother me. It's mostly a matter of the developers getting the textures right. It's a matter of style, and I find the XP "style" to be better than that of Microsoft Flight for the scenery. A lot of people complain that FSX scenery is cartoonish... I don't agree.

It looks like out-of-the-box, XPlane is going to be limited. This is to be expected from such a small team. Outside developers will fill in the gaps, but I suspect it will take a considerable investment to get to the superior level shown in the videos.

I saw a lot of things in that video that I really liked.

Comparisons with FSX are going to be inevitable, since most people will be coming from there. I think most people have the good sense to compare stock FSX to stock XP, and the best add-ons for FSX to the best add-ons for XP. I fly totally stock FSX scenery, so any of the add-on videos are going to look good to me. But then, stock FSX looks pretty good with the scenery sliders set high: mostly 30 fps and no stutters, but some graphics glitches with density set to max, likely due to bandwidth limitations on the graphics card.

With any new flight sim, you need to give it some time. I didn't realize at first how much improvement Microsoft Flight had made, and it was only after a bunch of hours flying and going back to FSX for comparison that I noticed how much better Flight was. But I never did get to liking Flights's autogen as much as FSX's. I'm currently flying FSX, not Flight, because no matter how much it was improved, I couldn't deal with Flight's limitations. This doesn't make Flight bad in any way, it's just a personal preference.

There's a lot of potential in XPlane, and it will be very interesting to see how things develop over time.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;