Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

WOW - Ultimate Low Flying

I downloaded and installed the freeware (formerly payware) FS9 Virtavia F-111 tonight. It's not up to the standard of their later offerings but it's still pretty good and a lot of fun to fly and, like all AlphaSim and Virtavia products, the external model is excellent. But the real thrill is this ----- here's what I discovered...

It has a HUD that has several different settings and one of them is almost full screen. (Shift-5) What I then did was turn off the 2D panel (shift-1) with the HUD now the only instrument showing and the scenery full screen. Down to low level and screaming along at 600 knots at 200 feet or less with the wings fully swept back - and with FPS in the 70's!! For the first time, I actually experienced something close to the real feeling of speed at low level. The scenery was flying by in a blur - just as it does in the real world. It truly was an adrenaline-pumping experience... Even my wife was impressed when she looked over my shoulder at my insistence that she come and see this thing!!!!!! (Normally she thinks flight sim is about as interesting as watching grass grow!!)

I did a flight out of RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus, dropped down to 200 AGL and flew to the Aerosoft LCLK Larnaca airport and did a simulated bomb run at about 100' or less - below the control tower cab and just over the buildings. Frame rates never went below 60 and the sensation of speed and utter fluidity was truly incredible... I hate to sound "gushy" but I have to say that this was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had in flight simming - and I've been doing it since FS95.....

Give it a try people - you will be amazed. My system is a pretty good one so you may not get quite the same results - but I'm guessing that most people will....

Enjoy - I know you will!!!

Ian

Morning/Aft/eve/night Ian

Just ti say ,you may not post that often ,but when you do its always a joy to read.Your enthusiasm for the hobby is amazing, your attitude always positive .

Excellent ! I am feeling positive myself this morning as for the first time in nearly two weeks the sun is streaming through my window after two weeks of grey days ,snow,frost and (for the UK) bloody low temperatures.

Anyways that's it ,not really Fsim related I know ,but what the heck Spring is getting tantalizingly close in our part of the world ,and I love it.

cheers to you and good f111 flying

Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

WOW indeed Ian B)

I realise this is the FS9 section.

Low flying is also what I really enjoy, specially in the Swiss Pro X (FSX) scenery.

This scenery is amazing for low level flight and I always choose the Iris Pro F16D or sometimes the Aerosoft F16C

And sometimes I fly around Kandahar standard FSX scenery, like NATO type sorties low level.

To switch the lights of in the room is to even merge more with the images on the screen.

It's great fun to do the so called 'Pop -up' attack runs on a imaginary target like an airstrip or something.

And Ian, I can recommend AccuSim, it is the icing on the cake in terms of the "flying feel",

Be sure to download Version 2, it is pay ware and well worth it.

http://www.flightsim...eel-v2-Released

cheers

Morning/Aft/eve/night Ian

Just ti say ,you may not post that often ,but when you do its always a joy to read.Your enthusiasm for the hobby is amazing, your attitude always positive .

Excellent ! I am feeling positive myself this morning as for the first time in nearly two weeks the sun is streaming through my window after two weeks of grey days ,snow,frost and (for the UK) bloody low temperatures.

Anyways that's it ,not really Fsim related I know ,but what the heck Spring is getting tantalizingly close in our part of the world ,and I love it.

cheers to you and good f111 flying

Andy

Thanks Andy. It's freezing cold here too. We had snow last night after days of sub-freezing weather and when I turned the outside lights on it was like a field of diamonds - the light was twinkling off ice crytstals I guess.. Beautiful!!!

WOW indeed Ian B)

I realise this is the FS9 section.

Low flying is also what I really enjoy, specially in the Swiss Pro X (FSX) scenery.

This scenery is amazing for low level flight and I always choose the Iris Pro F16D or sometimes the Aerosoft F16C

And sometimes I fly around Kandahar standard FSX scenery, like NATO type sorties low level.

To switch the lights of in the room is to even merge more with the images on the screen.

It's great fun to do the so called 'Pop -up' attack runs on a imaginary target like an airstrip or something.

And Ian, I can recommend AccuSim, it is the icing on the cake in terms of the "flying feel",

Be sure to download Version 2, it is pay ware and well worth it.

http://www.flightsim...eel-v2-Released

cheers

Hi Ralph. At this point I'm strictly FS9 but I am starting to weaken - and AccuSim is definitely one reason I'm being tempted to give FSX another try. It really does seem to be one of those revolutionary products that moves us toward the mythical FS11..... Enjoy!!

Ian

Just to emphasize for anyone who is interested in trying this, the key is that you are in full screen in 2D panel view but with no 2D panel! (removed with shift-1).. Only the HUD information is visible. The other thing is that the lower the zoom, the more sensation of speed there is. Try it with the zoom set to .25 - and be prepared for an amazing ride.

Low flying??? Humbug!!!!!

This is low flying!!! All the way there and back at night using just the mark 1 eyeball and basic navigation aids.

Yeah... but they cheated, and made it much easier with a coupla searchlights focussed on the water surface at just the right height!

Ian, did you investigate some of the amazing panel work available for the 'Vark?

I started this long ago, never completed the course, but I still see this amazing folder substructure:

PigPanel.jpg

Love the F111, huge fan. Used to love the dump and burn routines they'd do in Australia as a teenager at all the airshows.

I'll throw my hat in the ring as a low flying fan (watch from the 42:10 mark)

That was filmed on PilotEdge, following 3 F/A-18's on a Military Training Route through the southern California desert. If anyone has a hankering to try it, those F18's are actually drones. They leave every 5 mins from KNLC, rwy 34R, you can't miss 'em.

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360

Yeah... but they cheated, and made it much easier with a coupla searchlights focussed on the water surface at just the right height!

They only used the searchlights when they got to the lakes and started their bombing runs. They did not use any lights in navigating to and from England. All done at treetop height there and back.

No intention to belittle the effort... actually I've done the Dambusters routine in FS9.

There is only rudimentary scenery for the Ruhr dams, so I practiced on some we have in NZ.

You do get some of the rush, setting up for the run while dodging the terrain:

...and then, flew the actual mission route

DB1a.jpg

Like most things in war, dead boring until it stops being boring, at which point you needed to be awake enough to tell the difference!

Edited by firehawk44
Image removed. Exceeds 400KB weight limit.

I've also done the entire route and bombing run on FS9 and yes the scenery is "lacking". To simulate moonlight i kept the time at dusk and navigated using the same methods keeping below 100ft all the way there and back.

Some of those simmers who "crow" about GPS should try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I presume you've seen the film?

Yes and i wish Peter Jackson would get over The Hobbit fixation and get on with the remake!

He has full-scale Lancasters just sitting around...

Ian,

Your story is amazing and your enthusiasm always enjoyable but the ones who read your stories. I also like the AlphaSim/Virtavia aircrafts, including the F-111. You should have a look at the SimScape F-16 (www.simscape.fr). It is based on the geat freeware F-16 by Kirk Olsson but it bring a nice HUD that can go full screen using the mini-panel mode. It also provides a great flying experience at low level with very good FPS. It works for both fs9 and FSX. I like it much :)

Eric

A "Dam Busters" movie from Peter Jackson - now there's a dream waiting to come true... ^_^ But they would have to use the original "Dam Busters March" --- no new music allowed! LOL

Along with 617 squadron's amazing low-flying feat let's not forget the USAAF B24 attack on Ploesti. Though it was daylight, it was also done in tight formation and with an aircraft that was notoriously difficult (heavy controls) to fly... Both were amazing feats of airmanship and guts - and sadly, both were incredibly costly in terms of lives - both for the aircrews and many innocent civilians on the ground....

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions...

Cheers

Ian

I'm working on things like flood protection and dam security in Germany in my RW profession... :huh:

But now my question to WingZ: Which Lancaster model do you use?

And by the way: What's your opinion to the Virtavia He 111 and B-24? And where can I get the He 111? While the B-24 is available at Simmarket, the He 111 isn't. Is it abandoned?

Thanks, Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

There is only rudimentary scenery for the Ruhr dams, so I practiced on some we have in NZ.

Edited by firehawk44, Yesterday, 06:14 AM.

Image removed. Exceeds 400KB weight limit.

DBNZ1024.jpg

Harald, this is the Plane Design Lancaster, which was the subject of a freeware release for the dambusters model over at Simviation:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=lancaster&x=0&y=0

Didn't know Virtavia had an FS9 He-111...

The only one I have is the Groundcrew CFS2 model which does have limitations, obviously.

I also do not find it hosted anywhere any more, alas.