Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Preventing Windows 7 From Automatically Updating Graphics Driver?

Hi,

Is there a way to prevent Windows 7 from automatically updating my Display driver?

I have Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit- SP 1 and MS Flight Sim X. After purchasing several Carenado aircraft I noticed my instrument gauges would randomly double up and overlap each other. After posting the problem on the Carenado forum it was suggested that I try the NVIDIA 270.61 driver (dated April 7, 2011) that the author said gave him no problems. He also had the same card as me, the GTX -275. Sure enough, I downloaded and installed the driver and it worked fine also curing the weird graphics problem.

Recently I noticed the problem was back. Sure enough, somehow my driver version was updated to one dated October 2, 2012. I never updated this. Luckily I was able to roll back the driver to the 270.61 and everything was fine again.

Tonight, I see it's back to the October one again! Windows did an update a few days ago. Is this when it happened? I have never had this problem before. is there a way to prevent it from doing this when it installs updates?

I could never understand why it's suggested to "always update to the latest drivers" when the newer ones seem to cause problems. In other words, the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" probably should apply to computers. Thanks. Regards, Tom

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings

You can change the settings to "Check for updates but le me choose whether to download and install them".

... also, Flaps, in addition to David's very sound idea - if you install the latest Nvidia drivers and Inspector version for that gpu - you should never have Windows second-guessing you, and you will have that much greater control over your pc, and what you see in FSX.

All the Best,

:wink:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I see your point about the latest drivers, but that's the problem. As far as FSX goes, I've learned over the years that if a driver works fine, don't mess with it. In my case, all the newer drivers as of last year have caused this doubling and overlapping of several gauges on the instrument panels of several addon aircraft including Carenado and Flight 1s Citation Mustang. This one driver that was recommended did the trick. I'd love to know why newer drivers that should be backward compatable as well as for the newer hardware don't always work well. Thanks. Tom