Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Capturing the localizer - Concorde X

Gah. So many terms and numbers.

How do you capture the localizer in this plane? I'm just flying and randomly picking a nearby airport to land at with ILS. Trying to understand the ILS procedure in this plane. I set the runway ILS frequency in Nav1 and steady cruise at about 3000ft heading at a mild angle towards the runway but nothing ever happens. The plane never seems to pickup and align itself to the runway.

I've watched dozens of videos but they are all modern tubeliners.

Is there a general figure of how close you have to be to the airport to catch the ILS signal?

Hey, finally got one but it didn't land so well. Pretty much way overshot the runway. I was at 3000ft when the plane turned right to head towards the runway. Surprised it didn't cancel the landing when it past over the ILS? It just kept landing but way into the shrubs.

jkaywRgImi9uJ.jpg

At 64 tonnes, 250kts and with an intercept angle of nearly 90 degrees, the real one would have done the same.

Read the tutorial.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

It's the usual story! "why can't I capture the ILS?" I don't know how many threads there have been with that title and nine times out of ten it's because you are going tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast!

As above "read" the manuel.

In real life, ATC won't give you an intercept angle (course) of more than 30 degrees... so that's what you want to aim for when you "self-vector." Also 250... lol... that's pretty fast. In Concorde I'd shoot for 180-200...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Speed 190 to 200 Knots.

Intercept angle 30 to 45 degrees max.

Hit the VOR LOC button

Intercept from above at 10 miles out or more to give yourself time.

Once you see the glideslope moving down hit the GLIDE button, lower the nose and reduce speed to 180 knots.

at 800 feet callout, reduce speed to Vref (160 to 165 knots).

If weather is clear, disconnect the A/P and land.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Intercept from above at 10 miles out or more to give yourself time.

Is there a normal distance that the signal should be acquired?

And yeah, I'm not really trying to land or do things properly atm, just trying to get and check the hang of how ILS works, esp. with this big techno sled.

Is there a normal distance that the signal should be acquired?

And yeah, I'm not really trying to land or do things properly atm, just trying to get and check the hang of how ILS works, esp. with this big techno sled.

I would recommend doing some basic ILS practice in the 172 or other default aircraft to get a good understanding of how it works, before you try to jump into the deep end with something like the Concorde.

I agree there.... at Concorde speeds you'll be flying a really fast approach... things will whiz by and you won't really gain any knowledge...

Fly the Cessna or mooney...

In real life you'll be "turned on" the localizer at a point about 3-5 miles from the final approach fix (sometimes the Outer Marker). So about 10-ish miles from the airport.

You should get the approach plate for the one you're practicing. It will tell you what altitude to intercept at for glide slope information.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Joining the chorus, you don't do yourself a favour with trying the basics in the overweight Concorde from your example.

A piston plane (easy engine handling, no turbine delay) and an airport with the corresponding charts at hand will do. Later, you can switch to faster planes and see how the mechanics change. Or the timing, to be precise.

Not to be read the wrong way, Concorde X is a great addon. But with the basic high workload plus the improper setup, she may not allow to devote much attention to the ILS basics. Still, she may be the most challenging plane in the sim. And, later, the most rewarding. :smile:

I didn't zoom the screen shot until now. With 64Kg of contents remaining, that makes landing tough (maybe even impossible). I am usually landing with less than 18,000Kgs and usually around 11,000 Kgs.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Here is a test flight I use to check the limits and proper operation of the ILS/AP system:

ILS Procedure for FSX (practice) at KSEA (B738 <30% fuel):

Set COM1 to Tower 119.9.

Set NAV1 to ILS RWY 34 RT 110.3.

Set NAV2 to ILS RWY 34 LT 117.1. (Both DMEs the same)

Set GPS/NAV switch to NAV.

1. Taxi to position and hold Rwy 34 RT.

2. Don't call the tower and they will ignore you. ATC/Tower procedures come later.

3. Set AP HDG to 343, ALT to 5000, and AT AS to 250.Turn HSI CRS to 343 just for correct card orientation.

4. Takeoff. Set AP/HDG/ALT/AT to ON.

5. Turn HDG to 168. Aircraft will turn to 168 and level off at 5000.

6. At 23 miles DME, turn HDG to 010 and AT AS to 190. (The LOC needle will stay active to about 25 Miles. When the DME reads about 20 miles the Glideslope (GS) needle will go active and peg to the top of the guage and the BELOW G/S light will come ON).

7. When the LOC needle comes off the right peg, set APP (or LOC) to ON. The aircraft will turn to center the LOC needle and HDG will dis-engage. The GS needle will slowly come down and center. The ALT will dis-engage.

8. Drop 3 clicks of flaps, Set AT AS to 160. Drop gear. The aircraft will fly 2.5 degree slope.

9. Drop gear and set AT AS to 150. Add flaps slowly to Full DN.

10. At 100 feet, dis-engage AT and AP, close power levers.

11. Flare/land.

Do a touch and go to try it again.

Have fun

Dave

Here is a test flight I use to check the limits and proper operation of the ILS/AP system:

ILS Procedure for FSX (practice) at KSEA (B738 <30% fuel):

Set COM1 to Tower 119.9.

Set NAV1 to ILS RWY 34 RT 110.3.

Set NAV2 to ILS RWY 34 LT 117.1. (Both DMEs the same)

Set GPS/NAV switch to NAV.

1. Taxi to position and hold Rwy 34 RT.

2. Don't call the tower and they will ignore you. ATC/Tower procedures come later.

3. Set AP HDG to 343, ALT to 5000, and AT AS to 250.Turn HSI CRS to 343 just for correct card orientation.

4. Takeoff. Set AP/HDG/ALT/AT to ON.

5. Turn HDG to 168. Aircraft will turn to 168 and level off at 5000.

6. At 23 miles DME, turn HDG to 010 and AT AS to 190. (The LOC needle will stay active to about 25 Miles. When the DME reads about 20 miles the Glideslope (GS) needle will go active and peg to the top of the guage and the BELOW G/S light will come ON).

7. When the LOC needle comes off the right peg, set APP (or LOC) to ON. The aircraft will turn to center the LOC needle and HDG will dis-engage. The GS needle will slowly come down and center. The ALT will dis-engage.

8. Drop 3 clicks of flaps, Set AT AS to 160. Drop gear. The aircraft will fly 2.5 degree slope.

9. Drop gear and set AT AS to 150. Add flaps slowly to Full DN.

10. At 100 feet, dis-engage AT and AP, close power levers.

11. Flare/land.

Do a touch and go to try it again.

Have fun

Dave

"Line up and wait" aka the rest of the world!