Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

I want to use FSX bloom with higher settings

Hey folks,

I'm able to make FSX run quite well on lower settings with bloom enabled. This is only for default aircrafts and CLS add ons. Under graphics, everything is maxed except for water (low 2x), Autogen (sparse), Scenery Complexity (normal).

With the CLS MD-80 at Aerosoft's Palma De Mallorca with high UT2 ai, all road and airport vehicles turned on, I get pretty consistent 24fps (min I saw was 18-19). This is still playable for me, but I still haven't tested PMDG.

The thing is, I'm hooked on the bloom. I love the effects but my landscape is less 3d now with low autogen and scenery complexity.

I heard that bloom relies on the graphics card. I'm currently running a GTX560. Is there a card that can give good fps with bloom turned on? Normally, without bloom, I set scenery complexity at 'dense' and autogen on 'normal' when flying cls and pmdg aircrafts. fps is very good to excellent, even with 100% traffic from UT2.

I'd like to have these higher settings back while using bloom. Is it possible by now?

Thanks

Hi Maurice; You might take a look at SweetFX, as it not only improves the colour and contrast of the sim, all configurable, but it also allows you to configure the bloom threshold, power and width!

I always thought that FSX looked somewhat "washed-out" - particularly the "MegaScenery-type" photo-realism textures, but it looks great in DX9, as well as in DX10. A great addition.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Try DX10! Bloom is much less of a performance hog in that mode. Go to the DX10 forum, as it has instructions to implement the latest shaders , that correct most of the problems DX10 preview mode had.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Tom - you Da MAN!!

:lol: :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Toufic,

I do have ENB but not using it at the moment because I'm running the BP=0 tweak. I heard this is a no no if you want to take advantage of what BP=0 can give. But I may give it a try anyway just to see. Thanks for the link. I do have that particular enb. When looking at the thread again, I didn't realize that Shade was being used. I tried that enb setting and palette without Shade a while back and find the brightness too strong. I fly on a 60" plasma with all the lights out, so the brightness tend to be a little much at times. However, I just started using Shade again and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do use SweetFX on FS9 and really enjoy the result. I'm worried about using it or enb at the moment because of the BP=0 tweak. I think I will try both SweetFX and ENB to see how much performance loss I get. Hope it doesn't affect the fps increase I got from bp=0.

Thanks

Tom,

I'd really like to use DX10 but it will be too problematic right now because I have a lot of add on airports from Aerosoft. Last time I tried it, some of the buildings on my add ons lost their textures. I found out that Aerosoft makes their add ons for DX9 only.

Also, I had a major problem with my PMDG MD-11 landing lights in DX10. Somehow, the light was cast about 100ft ahead and about 50ft to the right. Re-installing the aircraft didn't fix the problem. I had to re-install everything which was a nightmare lol.

I really like the perf increase in DX10, along with the water and lighting but I think I will wait until they have a fix that address all DX10 problems. I'm scared to click on the DX10 preview tab again because I'd hate to have to re-install everything if my MD-11 lights go weird again lol.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

The thing is, I'm hooked on the bloom. I love the effects but my landscape is less 3d now with low autogen and scenery complexity.

I'm with you. What I have clamored for is for someone who knows how to program a realtime switch to turn bloom on and off on-the-fly. This way if you need to taxi around and bloom effects is too much it can be off, but once airborn and in an area your machine has no problems handling you use a simple keystroke to toggle bloom on, and back off as needed. Be a nice addition to something like FSUIPC, where there are a potpourri of various areas not handled better elsewhere.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X