Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Are you using DX9 or DX10?

That is a MAJOR issue for me, as I am a major AI nut, and I have tons of FS9 AI models/paints. I fear, even with the new mod, that I will lose those textures with DX10. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

That is the case AJ. I purchased Addon Converter X, as I use FTX AI when flying downunder, and the planes were white, but the converter (20USD) fixed that.

Reading PJ's posts regarding the new update coming from Steve "The Fixer", it will make all airports in DX10  ( FlyTampa as an example) fully compatible.

I was the same as you when I was deciding to give it a try, it took me about 10 mins to make the change, but now I can switch back and forth between DX9 & 10 in just a few mins.  it takes longer to boil an egg.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

That is the case AJ. I purchased Addon Converter X, as I use FTX AI when flying downunder, and the planes were white, but the converter (20USD) fixed that.

Does that mean that the payware addon converter X will make FS9 AI fully FSX compliant?   I didn't know that, I always thought it was just for addon aircraft and it was hit or miss if the converter worked. I think about UT2, and how it uses FSX compliant versions of FS9 AI models (Aardvark, TFS, etc..) and I always wondered how they did that since FSX native versions of those AI models are not available for the general public as freeware.   That may explain that!

Reading PJ's posts regarding the new update coming from Steve "The Fixer", it will make all airports in DX10 ( FlyTampa as an example) fully compatible.

Did you mean to say DX9 airports will be fully compatible?   If so, that is great news.

I don't want to say I've made up my mind, I'm open to the possibility of conversion in the future if more progress can be made on the compatibility front.   And the option of switching between DX9 and DX10 sounds feasible, as I have even switched between FS9 and FSX years ago to suit the addon aircraft I was flying.   I don't see why not, as it would be great to see how it works between two airports that benefit from the DX10 mod. 

Tell me, is DX10 more reliable that DX9, as far as not being prone to OOMs or CTDs?   Apart from some prettier graphics, I am curious about why folks go to the trouble of using DX10.

DX9. Maybe a day will come when you can use the majority of your scenery with it.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

How easy is it to switch between the 2 modes? Is it a matter of editing your fsx.cfg file and changing the d3d10=x entry to switch or does it involve more steps?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

@

NGXfanatic

Certainly, the OOM's in DX9 was a deciding factor. Also, more atmospheric,fluid, stable. well too me it is :)  As for FS9 airports, I am not sure, addon converter is supposed to make FS9 airports usable in FSX ( I heard that is hit and miss) but it does work great with fs9 ported over ai. I also use MTX5.4b, but that is DX10 compliant out of the box.

When Steve releases the update, I am sure it is getting close, it will make airports that don't work in DX10, like Dubai from FST work in DX10.

If or when you decide to make the switch, you can PM me and help you set it up.

How easy is it to switch between the 2 modes? Is it a matter of editing your fsx.cfg file and changing the d3d10=x entry to switch or does it involve more steps?

I have two fsx.cfg's. One is named fsx.cfgDX9 and the other is fsx.cfgDX10. I just remove the last three letters to the cfg which I am going to use. I have a shortcut to my %APP% folder on my desktop, so it can be switched very quickly.

As for NI inspector, I have 2 exported settings files, and just import either my DX10- or DX9 settings, and that is very quick as well.

As I am not switching between the two modes on every flight, it is not a hassle really.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

DX10 and SweetFX cause I have lots of addon and run into OOM with DX9 lot more than I do in DX10. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

DX10 vote for me.  No more OOMs, more stable, Water textures and some sceneries just look better, and slight FPS improvement make it all the worthwhile.  The few cons I can live with and Im sure will be sorted out very soon with Steves hard work. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

DX10 with SweetFX 1.4.

Looks good & runs smoothly with no problems - so far!!   ^_^

DX10, don't fly too much at night.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I float between both. I have set up a quick swap process that has me in and out of a DX10 config in seconds.

I see plusses in both.

DX10 has great performance and a few nice visual treats.

DX9 for night flying due to the not-quite-ready-yet DX10 scenery issues at night.

DX10 in my opinion has a future with the work being done by Steve to sort out these last remaining issues.

The FSX community has solved numerous tech issues thought to be impossible in the past (eg highmemfix etc) There's no reason why we can't make DX10 a winner!

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Like to add,  Pj's "How To" doc is really good for those who have never ventured into DX10 territory. Some posters have said they don't want to muck up there DX9, I can assure it won't, no DLL's or XML's are altered, so FSX installs  are quite safe.

I hope the add-on manufacturers have a peak at this thread. A few are adamant in their position that DX10 preview is crap and refuse to support it (even though their models work, for the most part, in DX10 - not naming any names (Milviz) :P )

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)