Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

Wind/Pressure differences between PC systems

I am still suffering from wind/pressure shifts. I am using High altitude stabilisation, and I also use the GRIB forecast Data as well as Sim friendly GRIB Wind and Tempt targets. Id rather not use the stabilised GRIB DATA because they are simulated and I want to fly with real world weather.

That being said they are greatly reduced. Just that I get 2-3 in a 4-5 hour flight. Flying with VAFS I get penalized everytime.

Now that this is a big FSX bug, and hard to conquer I must say you are working very hard to supress them and its appreciated.

What I dont understand in the manual, is that there seems to be a premise that some people suffer more than others despite measures in place to supress.

This to me doesnt make sense. All systems are running FSX with SP2 then why would my system suffer more than the other person who runs the same FSX installation and exact same FSX bug. If your system doesnt experience it or rarely, how is yours different, and how can I make it the same. ?

I think Ive tried everything. The only thing different is hardware, and I dont see how this would play a difference in the shifts.

IF it is settings in FSX or what not, what is it that makes a difference that doesnt work for me??

Dave

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Hi Dave

If you are flying with the sim rate speeded up, especially above x2 then it is possible to get wind shifts. Certain aircraft sims are more susceptible to wind shifts.

If FSX is struggling to cope due to the number of add-on packages, detailed scenery, high defintion high resolution cloud textures (we recommend non HD low resolution textures) etc then wind shifts are more likely. Flight monitoring programs can cause problems.

It is important to fill in your destination ICAO. Setting stabilisd GRIB has obviously helped you. Do you notice much difference between P3D and FSX? Are the winds shifts severe or just small and fleeting?

We run OpusFSX on both i5 (like yours) and i7 multicore PCs and laptops, the multicore PCs are obviously much better at handling FSX and any add-ons. We don't run any add-ons on our system apart from some aircraft sims such as the NGX, we have tried various textures and had no problems.

Regards

Cheryl

Thanks for all the info. No i never run sim rate speed other than 1x.

Ive reduced my cloud textures to 1024 as well. The wind shifts in p3d and fsx are pretty much the same. I do have detailed scenery and some addons. Just enhances sim experience. The wind shifts are almost always at high levels.

Which flight monitoring programs are you referring too?

The wind shifts are severe enough that with VAFS penalizes me for excessive G forces making passengers sick. Speed jumps20-30kts and im either up or down 600ft. Seems more like a pressure shift than anything.

Perhaps getting some addons will help you conquer the winds shifts others experience?

BTW: the last update really helped the TAT. No longer have an inversion while climbing lower levels. Its a nice gradual colder temp that decreases while climbing for the most part. This helps the climb rate tremendously. So great job!

CYVR LSZH 

One of our users reported a problem when using flight keeper in FSX weather mode.

We limit pressure changes to 2 millibars between weather cells, i.e. 30 feet, so FSX is changing the pressure itself beyond this, beyond our set targets.

You have to be gentle with FSX to coax it to behave and loading on more addons is asking for trouble. We know what the bugs are in FSX but unfortunately can't recode FSX.

Good news about the temps at least.

Have you tried experienting with your transition and forced recovery altitudes? Can't suggest anything else.

Regards

Cheryl

One of our users reported a problem when using flight keeper in FSX weather mode.

We limit pressure changes to 2 millibars between weather cells, i.e. 30 feet, so FSX is changing the pressure itself beyond this, beyond our set targets.

You have to be gentle with FSX to coax it to behave and loading on more addons is asking for trouble. We know what the bugs are in FSX but unfortunately can't recode FSX.

Good news about the temps at least.

Have you tried experienting with your transition and forced recovery altitudes? Can't suggest anything else.

Regards

Cheryl

Yes FSX is indeed fragile, and volatile. Treat her like a lady and she might reward you. lol

Im not sure why more addons, would affect the bugs in FSX that are hard coded in. What does a traffic program for example have to do with playing around with winds? or my airport detailed scenery addon.

I have not played around with recovery altitude too much mostly because I dont understand it too much, and its stated that recovery negates the surface winds on arrival. So Id rather not do that.

Dave

CYVR LSZH 

More addons just put extra strain on FSX and it has less time to do its vital calculations, hence introducing wind shifts etc. Something has to give.

The recovery altitude is where OpusFSX tries to recover true surface winds, recovery only happens if it will not upset FSX too much. The forced recovery altitude is where OpusFSX recovers surface winds no matter what, which may result in a wind shift but this is usually set at a low enough altitude not to cause a problem.

Regards

Cheryl

We have some ideas up our sleeve about introducing static weather at altitude to prevent wind shift problems on certain systems when using aircraft such as the MD which are suseptable. Do you encounter more wind shift problems on the MD11 as opposed to the NGX?

Cheryl

We have some ideas up our sleeve about introducing static weather at altitude to prevent wind shift problems on certain systems when using aircraft such as the MD which are suseptable. Do you encounter more wind shift problems on the MD11 as opposed to the NGX?

Cheryl

Hmm tough one to call. I think the MD has a slight edge in susceptibility but other older aircraft like the level D 67 also experience large shifts.

Static weather means weather in a bubble that doesn't change correct? Not to keen on that, as I try to keep things as real as possible.

I appreciate the effort to resolve this and also recognize it is just something I have to put up with, and was just making sure I have all measures in place to at least minimize it. Often times it seems that opus "catches" the shift enough that it softens the blow and I'm not penalized. As if to mellow it out very quickly without damage.

Thanks for your time!

CYVR LSZH 

Thanks for the feedback, yes the option would be for static unchanging weather for those people having major wind shift problems.

We might include an option to extend the weather beyond 400 miles and we may give an option for minimal updates above a certain altitude.

Glad to hear we are minimising wind shifts on your system to a tollerable level for the main part.

Strange twist and balance as realism dictates we want some turbulence in a rough area as well as smooth sailing in calm areas but at the same time fsx is a wild animal that slaps you around for no reason.

CYVR LSZH 

I have now posted Beta Version 2.83.2. In this beta, enabling Wind Stabilisation will also result in stabilising the surface pressures, hence making the weather less changeable in the updates. Perhaps this will help.

Cheryl

I have now posted Beta Version 2.83.2. In this beta, enabling Wind Stabilisation will also result in stabilising the surface pressures, hence making the weather less changeable in the updates. Perhaps this will help.

Cheryl

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

CYVR LSZH 

We have now discovered another problem within FSX/P3D which you should be made aware of.

The problem is quite obvious, FSX will change the wind speed and direction erratically several times per second.

Recently we have added turbulence factors to the wind zones and cloud layers. This is to enable the FSX turbulence and thermal effects allowing such things as wings flex, which the sim has to control.

I have now discovered that even with the FSX turbulence and thermal effects DISABLED, the sim can still become very erratic due to the turbulence levels assigned to the winds and clouds.

The problem manifests itself by very erratic ambient wind direction and speeds which rapidly fluctuate. This seems to seriously hinder the sim, stopping it from being able to calculate and change its ambient conditions, especially winds, to meet the specified targets. This ends up causing all sorts of problems including wind shifts, general erratic behavior and A/T disconnects.

Disabling the FSX turbulence and thermal effects on its own does not prevent this problem from occuring. However, setting all the turbulence levels in the injected weather to zero completely stabilises the sim. No more erratic bahavior.

I will therefore be adding a 'Include Wing Flex Data' option which will be DISABLED by default. Only enable this option if you wish to see the FSX effects including wing flex, ASI fluctuations etc.. But if you wish or need to stabilise your sim, then make sure BOTH the Opus and the sim options are disabled. In other words, set BOTH the disable 'Include Wing Flex Data' (in the OpusFSX Weather dialog), and Disable turbulence and thermal effects (in the FSX Weather Settings).

The above has absolutely no effect on the realistic OpusFSX turbulent motions. These have no reliance on FSX and are handled entirely by Opus using the LWE and the RW DHM accelerometer data.

The above new option ... 'Include Wing Flex Data' is ONLY relevant to the internal and additional turbulence and thermal effects within FSX or P3D. These are not related to the realistic and coordinated OpusFSX turbulence effects.

The turbulence effects inside the simulator ONLY flex the wings and fluctuate the ASI and VSI ... That's all.

Finally tried the above. So that is why I never got my wing flex. I was wondering why it was missing. So did last update, and all is much calmer.

But It sure is nice to see the wing flex. So I enabled it in FSX AND included wing flex data, and my last flight 4.5 hours long had nothing major.

Perhaps they were always fighting which was causing the wind shifts. who knows. Although it wasnt the MD11. Was flying the NGX.

But appreciate your efforts. Now there is another option.

CYVR LSZH