Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

FS2004 with new ultra-thin 42" LED TV

I just got a new ultrathin LG 42" LED TV for FS2004, swapping out my triple DELL LCD display with TH2G. It's lovely to put a 747 on this big screen in spot mode and see everything all at once on a larger scale and with no bezels. And the vertical height of the monitor is great too. Takeoffs are more realistic with much bigger runway views and the resolution is tolerable. Colors are vibrant and very realistic. EWith Flight Environment, the skyscapes are sensational and totally realistic, especially the clouds. I think FS runs smoother as well on just the single monitor than the triple setup, but am still trying to validate this. However, in doing this, I've had to give up peripheral vision and it's a major give up. I did an approach to Kai Tak in the PSS 777 and could see the PAPI until nearly at the checkerboard and then when I turned, I lost the runway view and the PAPI on the screen. It's like being blind in one eye after 6 years of peripheral vision. I thought about resurrecting Track IR5 but frankly it never really worked that well for me over the years although recently I was told that this is probably due to light reflection somewhere in my sim room.

I may stick with this bigger screen. Not yet sure. Still experimenting. Thought I'd post for the benefit of others considering a similar migration.

JS

How far back do you sit from the 42? I was thinking of 3 x 32" LED  or 3 x 40" LED TV's, but my viewing distance from my monitor at present is under 3'. At a range of 2.5' would it be too pixelated? My office is very small, but want 3 x something. Any advice appreciated. 

My two eyes are approximately 54" away from the 42" LED screen.  I measured very carefully and went to check out a huge range of LED ascreens at Best Buy.  They must have thought I was a madman because I had a 10 foot measuring tape and spent 2.5 hours standing and measuring many different screens.  I was tempted to get a 55" monitor but 54" is too close.  54" works very well for me.  I have a huge flat office desk and the LED sits at the very back of it, just ahead of the structural wall.  I get an additional 15-18" of distance thanks to my CH Yoke which is screwed into the desk.  I had also thought about getting 27",30", and 32" LEDs in Triplehead format, but it was too difficult to fit.  You need to be careful with size and distance.  Sorry for late reply, hope this helps.