Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jesperi Lauhio1

Dome light problem

Guest Jesperi Lauhio

Hi!

I hit today a rather odd problem with NGX cockpit lightning. The dome light/storm light (or some other light like those) stays on all the time when the engines are running. If I want to darken the cockpit totally, it's not possible. Hitting Shift + L turns off all cockpit lights except this particular light. I haven't been able to turn it off. What makes this even more confusing is that the light appears only in Virtual Cockpit. Any idea?

Here's a pic to demonstrate:

As you see, there's a light in the cockpit. I've turned all cockpit lights off, but that light still appears.

Guest Jesperi Lauhio

The overhead looks like this:

It isn't the dome light as that is switched off in your screenshot. There's a floodlight controlled on the centre pedestal that might give you this illumination. Maybe it's not included in those lights controlled by the FSX shortcut. It's certainly possible to have a completely dark cockpit with the engines running, but I've never used SHIFT+L in the NGX so I don't know what it controls.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Are you sure your dome light is actually on? If you raise your VC view of the overhead slightly, you will see the light itself. Turn the dome switch to DIM or Bright to see with it should look like when it is on.

One of the bulbs in the dome light is tied into the emergancy lighting system, so you will sometimes see the dome turning on while you are shutting down the cockpit if you kill the main power before you disarm the emergancy lights.

Used to happen to me in the past too. Dome light was off, all the flood lights were off as well, but the cockpit remained illuminated just like Jesperi's screenshots show.

Matheus Mafra

Guest Jesperi Lauhio

Used to happen to me in the past too. Dome light was off, all the flood lights were off as well, but the cockpit remained illuminated just like Jesperi's screenshots show.

Just this happens. I'm 100% sure that all lights are turned off in the cockpit, but that light still remains to be on. It turns off when the engines are shut down...

Does deliberatly turning it on have any effect?

I don't know about the OP, but it didn't for me. Switching the dome light to "dim" wouldn't make any difference while switching it to bright would make the cockpit slightly brighter. After turning the light off the flight deck would remain illiminated.

Usually the Emergency exits lights have a warning light when they aren't armed,

But it's worth a try to verify if they are on...

Good point. I never checked the Emergency Lights.

Matheus Mafra

I know this is an old thread but I found out why this happens. As PMDG uses the smoke system to control the dome light, if you accidentally press I (i) key, you can actually activate the light regardless of switch position.

I discovered this after a large cat walked across my keyboard.

• Like 1

I discovered this after a large cat walked across my keyboard.

Awesome! :BigGrin:   What would we do without our beloved pets?

Awesome! :BigGrin:   What would we do without our beloved pets?

Yes indeed. I was on the ground between flights when he did it. 

The solution is to use the I key to toggle the dome light.

Yep, I was thinking the "I" key myself, but was beat to it.. I often use that as a quicky dome

light when I want to see something on the overhead, like say the light switches if the panel

lights are dim, but am too lazy to view back to the actual dome light switch..   lol

NM5K, on 22 Jan 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yep, I was thinking the "I" key myself, but was beat to it.. I often use that as a quicky dome

light when I want to see something on the overhead, like say the light switches if the panel

lights are dim, but am too lazy to view back to the actual dome light switch..   lol

It could also be useful if starting in a cold n dark cockpit in DX10 mode where night is dark... really really dark!