Sign in to follow this  
DerStig

Need feedback for FS2Crew - Is it a good idea?

I have been watching FS2Crew videos for a while now, it's very impressive. The voice recognition is unbelievable and it looks like a new level for the FSX simulation. In fact, I almost bought it, but then suddenly it hit me. All these things that FS2Crew gives you, or in layman's terms, all the things F.O. does for you, are they really a good idea? I watched a 3x30 min tutorial of this addon and it seems like all captain is doing is talking. The "realism" of NGX to me is all the knobs and switches and what you have to do for every step in every check list and the combination of various failures. If the FO does all of that for you, then what's the point? Am I missing something here?

I am seriously considering buying this add-on, this is not a rant/complaint post but rather an honest question for veteran simmers who can clarify this.

Thanks

It's a must have, in my opinion. I never fly without it. The things the FO does for you are the types of things he would be doing in the real world. You still have your share of tasks during the preflight.

On edit, I believe you can skip the preflight part and set it all up yourself and have him jump in when it's time to start checklists, if I'm not mistaken.

Chris Hicks

I quite like it, I've got the NGX version. Can't get the voice recognition to work, but the button version is pretty good.

The voice operated is absolutely a MUST, no other words needed!

James Goggi

I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, Fs2Crew follows real Aircraft Standard Operating Procedures, So Fs2Crew is the realism, not the captain trying to press all the buttons.

An absolute must as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and Voice Control works fine for me, as long as I can remember the correct commands.

The next FS2Crew product is Emergency Procedures

http://www.fs2crew.c...gency-NGX!.html

I think this is a first....

ngxu_banner.png

Its no-brainer, if you want to add to your sim experance its a must.

Also check out RAAS, adds to any aircraft and works well.

I fly the NGX & J41 quite a bit and never without FS2Crew, so well suited together.

Most have. You will never fly without it. On take off and landing the F.O. is realy needed. And the checklists ad to do immersion.

The voice version is excellent.

It doesn't just call out checklists, but responds to all sorts of commands. As well as the major ones, such as gear, flaps etc, it can tune radios, set headings/courses/speeds/altitudes on the MCP, just by you speaking what you want. Especially if you enjoy hand flying IFR by following raw data, for example, it's invaluable, as it frees you from having to take your hands off the controls to set all of those things.

I held off buying FS2Crew for a long time for two reasons: 1. what's the fun if the co pilot does all the work (the same doubt you have) and 2. everything takes so much time and I only do short flights.

A few weeks ago I finally bought it and I ever since I have done NOTHING else but fly the 737 NGX with FS2Crew. (Using the button version btw.) Yes, you do a lot less, really a LOT less, but instead of making everything boring it made everything realistic!!! I love it! I am not alone in the 737NGX anymore (as if I was flying an ultralight on my own)! The added immersion and realism is awesome and imho FS2Crew is a must have! I am totally hooked on flying the 737 NGX with FS2Crew now: I can't remember being so hooked on flying as I am now. I also can't imagine flying without it: having to do everything yourself (like right after takeoff or right after landing) suddenly feels odd and weird. FS2Crew changed the game for me!

About my other doubt (FS2Crew taking too much time): I can do the entire preflight flow in 8 or 9 minutes (by using the FS2Crew skip option) which isn't long at all when you have to setup the FMC yourself and a few other things also (it's not that the co pilot does EVERYTHING). You can also skip the preflight part but even though I was used to doing FSX sessions that took about 30 minutes I just can't bring myself to NOT do the entire preflight flow now: it adds so much to the immersion! The last few weeks I have been doing 'short' flights that are quite long for me, taking up something an hour and a half all in all, and I love every second of it. If I have the time for it I even skip the skipping and enjoy the entire 30 minute preflight flow.

In short: with FS2Crew flying the 737 NGX became immensly more realistic and enjoyable. Doing everything yourself isn't realistic at ALL. Go get it.

I quite like it, I've got the NGX version. Can't get the voice recognition to work, but the button version is pretty good.

If you are having any problems with it just contact Bran York at FS2Crew. He is always willing to help.

FS2Crew Voice Command is an outstanding and immersive addon for FSX. It will change the way you sim. It is addictive and will spoil you and make you really miss it on aircraft that it is not available for.

I only got FS2Crew after I was very very familar with the NGX, I had the same concern that I wouldn't have the fun of sorting out all the systems but it hasn't been like that. You do the captains duties (plus extras like fully configuring the CDU) which is still a fair bit of work and for fun and "safety" I go over and check the status of the panels from time to time to make sure the FO is not snoozing. :P

I once had a confusion with the pressurization system after engine start with FS2Crew and had the pressurization warning come on above 10,000 feet and I will never make that mistake again by checking the panel as we go through the after takeoff checklist.

Personally if someone wanted FS2Crew to get away from having to learn much of the aircraft... well it helps with that but I don't recommend it, but if you are very familiar with the NGX then go for it. I still do solo preperation flights from time to time and only go through checklists with FS2Crew.

Yes, get it. You can skip the fs2crew part of any section of the flight if you want to do it all yourself (just click on the arrow buttons on the interface to move forward and back)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

As a Beta tester (so yes, there is some professional bias here) for FS2 Crew NGX & a PMDG NGX fan, I highly recommend it.

It is extremely immersive and will open the envelope in terms of your understanding & enjoyment of the 737NG. Boeing SOP's

are followed in addition to commanding the FO and communicating/commanding Ground & Cabin Crew.

Voice Control is what I strongly suggest. This will provide you with a plethora of abilities. You just need to configure

Speech Control in Windows.

Also, once "FS2 Crew - Emergency NGX" is released (we're beta testing this right now for pre-release) this attaches as an add-on to

FS2 Crew NGX and will open even more horizons for your NGX education & enjoyment.

Put simply....it is a must for NGXers!

Tech support is also excellent if you're experiencing any issues (although if you follow instructions properly, you won't have any).

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

In short: with FS2Crew flying the 737 NGX became immensly more realistic and enjoyable. Doing everything yourself isn't realistic at ALL. Go get it.

In fact, doing everything yourself, in RL, would be illegal!

I'm with all those who say get it. I have it and always use the voice version when flying the NGX (which is always!).

My only criticism is that I wish we could be a bit more conversational when issuing instructions. For example instead of just saying "before start procedure" it would be nice if we could say "ok, shall we go through the before start procedure?" After all, these guys are sitting together in a confined space and surely don't talk like robots to each other?

Iain Smith