Sign in to follow this  
jimh

Awful Water

Hi,

As some will know, I've just re-installed FSX, doing everything by the book, and am very happy indeed with FSX/DX10.

Until now that is! I've suddenly acquired the most awful water. I like the very realistic breakers in DX10, but now every little river has breakers which would challenge a surfer, plus a muddy background mixed in with the blue. The link is of a part of upper Southampton Water (Orbx EU)

https://www.dropbox....ful Water.jpg?m

I did install Accufeel, and update it to V2, but I think that was before the sudden change in how the water looks. I have mid high set in FSX.

Since I'm not very clever, I could sure use some suggestions as to how to get back to where I was.

PS Please don't suggest I start another FSX install!!! :)

Thanks, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

I have found having the water setting at 5 in the FSX.cfg or Mid2x is the best setting. When I had it at your setting, I got cloud shadows. PaulJ told me to lower the setting and the problem went away.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim.

5 is my usual setting. I've restored my appdata\local\......\shader folders from a backup. I've restored the ShadersHLSL folder from a backup of FSX, plus a copy of WaterConstants.xml. These are all the files I can think of, which might be involved. No change!

I can see now that I'm probably seeing big waves, with reflections to match. The "breakers" seem to be large reflections on the waves, rather than the former breakers, which appear, then gradually fade away, as in real life. Over here we call them "white horses", and as a long life sailor, I'm more than familiar with the real ones.

I'm beginning to believe that Accufeel V2 might have caused this. Installing Accufeel v2 more of less coincided with the appearance of this effect. I've disabled the sea effects, but it made no difference. I don't see any way to uninstall it in the normal way.

Most annoying. Every puddle has these very big waves, covered in white.

Regards, Jim

I've gone back to DX9, and see the same effect, with waves bigger than I've ever seen in FSX.

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

I've restored the ShadersHLSL folder from a backup of FSX, plus a copy of WaterConstants.xml.

Those folders only apply to DX10. They have nothing to do with DX9. In your OP you stated you have the water set to mid-high set. That's not what I had mine set at 5 in the fsx.cfg and mid2x in the fsx settings. I saw anomalies with a setting higher than this. The folders/files changed in the ShadersHLSL folder only belong to DX10. They would have no effect on DX9. Steve's Shader fix only changes one file in the General folder - General10. The one deleted in your User/AppData folder is only a cache and it is rebuilt once deleted when you restart FSX. I'm thinking you have a file in the Orbx scenery that has water effects. Did you try to run FSX/DX10 in another location to see if the problem still existed outside a Orbx scenery location? In any case, you'll have to play with the water effects slider to get the best effect. In DX10 mode, Microsoft had envisioned white caps on a lake or ocean so what you were seeing was the white cap effect.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here is water for DX10 with the Water Shader Fix and a setting of High 1x.

Cheers

jja

Edited by firehawk44
Image removed. Far exceeded the 400KB weight limit. Please repost with correct size. Thanks.

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. In my OP my description was sloppy.

I have water at 5 in FSX.cfg, and Mid 2x in FSX.

I've flown in Orbx scenery and default, but no change. I've backed off the water slider in FSX. The white caps disappeared in 1x settings, but so did the waves!

I did think the "white caps" were simply white waves, but I've hovered above them and can see that the white caps are now so big that they take a long time to dissipate, giving the impression that they simply go on and on.

I think I need to find a way to reduce the size of the waves, back to where they were previously. I have no idea what caused the change, but it was a dramatic difference.

thanks for trying to help, JJ.

Regards, jim h.

Jim - did you install the Patch 3.2.2 and the bonus pack? This includes darker water, and if you did, and still have the problem I can probably show you how to reduce those waves.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks. Paul.

I have installed 3.2.2, I have the black bkg,bmp, and I've used the FSW Lite FSWC+DX10 shader.

I'd really like to get back to the white caps is saw, when I first go to the stage of seeing what you were originally talking about.

Best Wishes, Jim

Hi Jim; If it's any help, I'm using ActiveSky 2012 water, with Inland Blue and Inland Brown darkened within AS - nothing else being done to the textures. My suggestion would be to get back to the default textures - the FSX_Root\Texture\ folder I think, and replace them from backup (or other). You might also ask about this on the ActiveSky forum, too. Those waves are certainly controllable within the shader folder, (Water40Consts.fxh) but if you've already done that - then it must be some other problem.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

I'm copying a backup texture folder, and will try a flight with it.

I can have a go at your Active Sky 2012 suggestion later.

Me control things within Water40Consts.fxh? You are either joking or flattering me!!

Cheers, Jim

Many a fine intellect came out of Scotland! Remember the Bard!

Very True!

My Grandfather was an authority on Burns and founded one of the Burn's Clubs.

When I was younger, I could recite Tam O'Shanter from beginning to end.

I still wouldn't know how to start editing the Water40Consts.fxh, though! :unsure:

I copied a backup of my Effects folder, and Hey Presto!, my white caps are back to where they were.

Thanks a million, Paul.

If I was greedy, I would like them to be just a little bit bigger, more a Force 5, than a Force 3.

I tweaked the Active Sky 2012 Inland Water, Blue and Brown, not so vivid blue, and both reduced brightness. I like the difference, but it didn't make any difference to the breakers. I don't expect you meant that to enhance them.

Best Wishes, Jim