Sign in to follow this  
BladeLWS

Metal Storm

Just saw this interesting piece of technology on Future Fighting Machines just now and I thought I'd share it with everyone. Its call "Metal Storm". A company in Brisbane, Austrailia has been developing systems that fire ONE MILLION!!! projectiles a minute. It involves no using electricity to fire these weapons, like a rail gun. It can be fitted with grenades, cameras, shells, almost anything that can be shot out of cannon. The launchers look like the VLS tubes on US Navy crusiers and destroyers, but there are as much as 10-20 projectiles in one tube, each one firing by a burst of electricity. Also they are making pistols out of the same technology. It would be like 10 rounds in the tube at one, and firing three rounds out of a pistol at once. Reloading is simple, pull out the spent tube, and insert a new one. Also there systems can be fitted to any a/c with NATO hardpoints. The canisters on a/c should look like the Storm Shadow the RAF has, except these can drop 100-200 grenades or anti-personnell/material bomblets in less than a minute. Here is the website www.metalstorm.com , they have a wide range of video tests. In a battlefeild system, there would be a launcher, with 100-200 tubes on it, say one filled with cameras, another with mines, another with tank busters etc etc. You shoot off some cameras, look for the enemy, you identify and lock out any civilians or friendlies. ID the enemy troops, and fire your volley (200-400 rounds of anti-tank coming down around you will ruin ANYONES day). Also they don't have to be in military applications, it can be used at airports to fight fires. You set up a system, filled with airburst fire extinguishers, and you fire at the crashed aircraft, most of the fires are out before anyone arrives on the scene. There are graphics of it on their site.

Guest mikehaska

I was just thinking that what the world needs right now is a bigger gun. In my opinion, it's just to darn difficult to snuff out your enemy. I hope this is a step in the right direction- I know I'm not the only one thinking "hey- this world is just to darn safe. 1,000,000 projectiles a second sure will make it safer".

1 Million per minute, 1 million per sec LOL... My thinking is it can help save the lives of airliner passengers and save valuble rescue time.

Guest mikehaska

Remember - Millions of projectiles per second don't kill people, people kill people. :-lol

Guest cw1011

What we need is x-ray glasses that will help our young men and women on the ground in places like Iraq to help figure out who the bad guys are.

Actually we have that but its still in testing. It using GPS locators on all NATO and US troops and each soldier will have his own CPU attached to him displaying their posistions.