Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z06z33

Building 737 Cockpit

looking to build a 737 cockpit thats similer to this

so what would be the cost of this more or less than 5k US?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

looking to build a 737 cockpit thats similer to this

so what would be the cost of this more or less than 5k US?

That's my friends Scott's sim, he's moved from projectors now to 60" TVs but 5k is one tenth of what he has spent so far....

My overhead alone is 5k, MIP is another 4k, throttle 3k, yokes, 3k, rudders, 2.5k, seats 2k, jrails 1.5k.....still not including shell, liners, software, rear overhead, pedestal or displays.

Look here for pricing

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/ac_type.php?id=8

Keep in mind, stuff like the MIP/ CDU / Glare package don't include the two19", one 15", and one custom 12" monitors you need, nor the CDUs. You'll also need an interface card for the switches and LED (SYS4 card), and a hardware kit plus monitor mounts to hold them against the back of the MIP.

Add Sim-Avionics at $1700, or Prosim737 300 euro jumping to 600 euro Feb 1st to drive the systems and display the avionics. Need one PC for the avionics (six display outputs, so three video cards), then another PC for FSX, P3D or XP (XP only working with Sim Avionics right now).

MCP and dual EFIS can be as cheap as 900 euro, or as much as $4k depending on what you want.

That would get you flying as you can start with engines running and won't need the overhead right away. In fact both sim a and ProSim emulate the MCP and overhead in a display if you want to ad them to another monitor and just click them.

Most of these builds take years, for both the cost related as well as the amount of wiring, interfacing, etc....fwd overhead has 97 annunciators to wire and about the same amount of switches. I'm three years into my build and just flying in the past month. To be fair I took a year of building and just collected $$ and parts as I got bored not being able to fly. Best thing is get something running to keep the enthusiasm up.

Displays can be a single monitor, multiple large format monitors (I use three 60's) or short throw PJs with warping software.....lots of opinions here, whatever works for you.

Seats, overhead frames and other bits can be bought from scrapped AC, but the scrappers know builders look for them so don't expect cheap. Weber seats are in the 1500 to 2000 a pair range and if you use a shell you'll need J or straight rails to get in the seat. IPECO seats run about $4000 a pair if you can find them and definitely need rails.

Good luck whatever you do....

I heard that it'll run you $100K US. But if don't mind not having the F/O's side of the sim or a shell around you, here's what you can get for a reasonable price:

Jetmax's 737- Jetmax.ca- $6995.95 (for the most complete model)

And for an overhead that looks great, check out the VRInsight 737 overhead panel.

Both of them would round out well under $9000.

Start here:

http://www.jetmax.ca/products

Then view their full cockpit setups. You will get a very good idea of the cost and scope of a cockpit project.

5k? The computers to run FSX and the various visuals are worth more than that. But don't give up - doesnt have to happen all at once, in fact it takes the average builder 6 months to a year to complete a project at least. In 12 years, Ive built 4 different cockpits and building has become as much of a hobby as flying!

I've decided to try to build my own from scratch for know I'm just gonna drag and drop gauges on a second moniter mounted behind the mip and work from there

Jetmax looks like a good start -- it includes all the electronics (which I heard are 'plug and play'), and a flap gauge. I have the jetmax throttle and it also includes a port for you to plug the tiller.

Only problem is there is no opportunity to expand (you may want to build a full cockpit down the line) and you can't build in parts -- you'll have to put down the initial investment of 3500 cad. 

Of course you could always go with the full MIP route with flyengravity, FDS or the other vendors out there and build at your own pace.

I'm looking at a 5-10 year build timeline here...

I had seriously considered Jetmax in the beginning, but once I factored in all I wanted it became out my price range, I applaud FDS for providing a turn-key style simulator and until I started working on my own I didn't realize how much time/effort must go into making just one simpit. Word of advice once you start this project, learn basic carpentry, basic electronics, and basic programming of whatever you decide on using as the bridge to your hardware.