Sign in to follow this  
macpilot

RC4 File Extension

I have not used RC4 in awhile. Last week I started using it again. I wanted to take advantage of the save feature for long flights. I checked that the key command is CTRL+SHFT+;. Today when I tried to load the "Previously saved RCDs" none were listed. When I checked the "user/my documents/flight simulator X files/ directory 2 were named " 26-62281-KALWCYBA-7$2" and 1 with with extension of "26-62281-KALWCYBA-7$2.WX". The other file was KALWCYBA.rc4. The 3 "26-62281-KALWCYBA-7$2" had a saved time of 5:18pm the KALWCYBA.rc4 file had a save time of 4:01pm. Can someone tell me wha'ts going on. Also listed were 3 7$1 files with a save time of 5:08pm. Showing that I had saved the flight twice. Which I did.

My Radar contact version is 4.3.3845

Operating System... Window 7 Ultimate 64

GEForce 660 ti

FSUIPC/FSUIPC4 Version Number 4.5.7.0

Simulator... FS X Deluxe with Acceleration

Browser Type and Version MS Internet Explorer

CPU(s) Speed Intel i7 CPU 2.67 GHz

DRAM size 6GB

Thanks in advance to all wh reply.

Bill

I can only test under XP and FS9 with FSUIPC3. I do not have FSX.

I ran the test with Autosave 1.5.0.1 both enabled and disabled. (I enabled autosave to run on the ground as well. The autosave documentation is a text file in the folder you unzipped it into. The autosave configuration file is in your FS folder.)

I tried several saves with the ctrl-shift-; hot key. I got the correct names as:

245-56285-KANE-KGRB-1$1.FLT

245-56285-KANE-KGRB-1$1.WX

245-56285-KANE-KGRB-1$1.rcd

245-56620-KANE-KGRB-1$2.FLT

245-56620-KANE-KGRB-1$2.WX

245-56620-KANE-KGRB-1$2.rcd

The first field is the RC/FS session. The next number has to do with the date/time of the save. The $1 is the number of the file set saved in the current session.

There was no difference with or without autosave running.

Without RC running the you get a file name of just autosave followed by a date and unique number if autosave is enabled.

I also tested loading an .rcd by starting FS with a parked aircraft, loading RC with the appropriate plan file, and then loaded the rcd and it performed as expected reloading the aircraft in the parked situation and weather saved in the .rcd.

.flt is the saved FS state, .wx is the saved weather state, and .rcd is the RC state of the saved situation.

I forgot what the .rc4 files are.

I suspect that your incomplete names might have to do with system timing. In FSX autosave is included with FSUIPC4 if user registered and can be enabled. If enabled, disable it to see if your conflict is resolved. BE sure your FSUIPC4 is current from:

http://forum.simflig...pdated-modules/

Update makerwys.exe from the link and then do the RC scenery rebuild since you have not been active for a while:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

in rc, click the flt/wx button, and define the path where the .flt and .wx files are stored. then rc will put the .rcd files where they need to go

Thanks for your replies.

I have rebuilt the scenery and makerwys.exe.

I have defined the path for .flt and .wx files. I just noticed that I don't have a .flt file

What I don't get is any .rcd files. And what is an .rc4 file?

I have checked and the autosave feature in FSUIPC4 is not enabled.

Can you think of anything else I can check?

Thanks.

Bill

I have updated FSUIPC4 to the current version. I still get an CYBACYXJ.RC4 no RCD file.

The files below are dated 1/28/13 3:54pm

26-57252-CYBACYXJ-7$2 Microsoft Flight Simulator Application

26-57252-CYBACYXJ-7$2 D:\Programs (86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

26-57252-CYBACYXJ-7$2.WX

CYBACYXJ.RC4 Dated 1/28/13 1:10pm

I don't know what additional information I can give you. Someone must know what generates a .RC4 file.

Thank You.

Bill

Your path for flight-wxr files should look like this when you define it:

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Ginsberg\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files (or Flight Simulator X Files).

and might be slightly different in your version of Windows. When you set it just browse to that folder. It is the same folder where your .pln files are.

To see what you have set make a copy of rcv3.dat located in your RC folder and rename the copy to rcv3.txt. open it in wordpad and it will be similar to ther following:

---------------

Sun Contry Airlines Inc - USA,suncountry,1, 1 , 30 , 20 , 50 , 1000 , 0 , 9.999999E+33 , 10 , 0 , 1 , 1 , 0 , 1 , 0 , 1 , 200 , 1200 , 0 ,, 0 ,C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Ginsberg\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\KANE-KGRB.PLN

1800 , 1800 , 1800

0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0

0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Ginsberg\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files

--------------------------

I highlighted areas of interest. The first area is the airline you selected and its radio call. The next highlighted is the last flightplan used. The last highlighted area is the flt-wxr path you browsed to in that setting. Be sure not to cancel out of that browse, otherwise that last field will be deleted and on your next RC start you might lose the whole file with RC starting with an error 62. You can use that rcv3.txt as a back up to avoid a reinstall. Do not attempt to directly edit rcv3.dat. Formatting is critical.

If you can't get this set up paste the last version of the rcv3.txt file copied again from rcv3.dat in a reply here.

Thanks Ron,

Here is the file you requested. The path looks right to me it is where my .pln files are. Also the files from my last message are going there. Just no .rcd file.

Bill

Your submitted rcv3 file shows your last .pln was in:

C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\CYBACYXJ.PLN

not in:

c:\flight\fs2004

In RC paths for flt-wxr try setting it via browsing to;

C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

I do not know specifically if RC can handle a different folder from where your .pln files were stored.

In your first post you also have in your path "direcory 2" as a sub-directory to the normal path in your documents folder.

In FS itself I think it saves the .pln (if you use its planner), .flt, and .wx files in folder tree down from my documents. All four types need to be in the same folder AFAIK.

I'm sorry Ron but I totally confused by your last reply.

First I'm using FSX. All .PLN files go to c:\users\bill\documents\flight simulator X Files directory. Which is the directory in my rcv3.txt file. I understand that all three files must be in the same directory, .flt .wx and .rcd. But I'm not getting the .flt and .rcd files any where.

I don't understand your reference to c:\flight\fs2004 when I'm using FSX.

Also you haven't said what creates an .RC4 file!!!!!!!

Thanks for your patience. But I don't know what I'm missing.

Bill

Thus is what you sent me (emphasis mine) for your copied rcv3.dat:

"King Air,kin,2 rc, 2 , 15 , 30 , 10 , 1000 , 0 , 0 , 10 , 0 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 15 , 50 , 1200 ,, 2 ,C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\CYBACYXJ.PLN

1800 , 1800 , 1800

c:\flight\fs2004

0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0

0"

That was in the rcv3.txt file you sent me. In addition there is no flt-wxr path in the last field. That happens if you cancel out of a browse.

I missed the first time in that file some other differences that are improper.

kin,kingair,King Air,2 rc, 2 is the aircraft data RC uses and that part appears correct (it is supposed to be in a different order in rcv3.dat).

I modified my rcv3.dat file to match what yours should look like, Here it is attached as a .txt file;

Load this in RC after examining it, save your original file rcv3.dat file by renaming it, and place this one as rcv3.dat in your rcv4 folder. My options are different including incorrect cruise, etc, but that should be read from your plan.

I'm doing this to avoid a reinstall for you however you may need to do that. If it loads go through all of the RC general settings as this file has mine for allowed deviations, altitude restrictions from my last flight, etc. This was created from a plan originally departing CYXS as CYBA was not in the planner I use. It loaded OK (it is a short direct flight) in RC. Since I do not have FSX this should be as I saved it inmy FSX flights folder for simulating these things.

Here is what mine (commented) looks like after converting it based on what you sent me:

King Air,kin,2 rc, 2 , 30 , 20 , 50 , 1000 , 0 , 9.999999E+34 , 10 , 0 , 1 , 1 , 0 , 1 , 0 , 1 , 200 , 1200 , 0 ,, 0 ,C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\CYBACYXJ.PLN

1800 , 1800 , 1800

>>>>>>>>>>this line should have been blank.

C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files >>>>>>>>>>>>This line was missing.

If this loads then go through all of your RC options such as deviations allowed, etc., and other settings. They keyboard assignments are not in this file.

Be prepared to do a reinstall. The rcv3.dat file you attached was definitely corrupted and that would have been the next step anyway.

As far as what the RC4 type is I request jd answer that.

the rcd, flt and wx file all have to go to the same directory.

after clicking the .flt/.wx button, enter the path where the .flt and .wx files are stored in fs. ususally that is something like c:\users\xyzx\documents........

it's not the root directory of fs

jd

Ron and JD,

Ron I used your file as requested. I ran teh CYBACYXT flight again. I saved twice along the way. Exited FSX. Then started FSX again placed aircraft at KPHL. Loaded RC tried to load a previos RCD flight none listed. Exited FSX. Went to the C:\bill\my documents\Flight Simulator X files directory. Results were the same as before. Checked the rcv3.dat file and it listed c:\flights\fs2004.

current rcv3 file attached.

I guess the next step is to reinstall RC4. Can you please tell me the correct steps to do this so that we make sure I do it right.

Thanks guys for your patience and help.

Bill

There is one more test before reinstalling.

Put back the file I sent you. Then load a .pln for a flight using different airports that are known to work. This is just to insure there are no scenery issues, Use default airports and runways must be 3,000 feet or greater for this test.

Fly it with RC and save the flights via RC. Do not use the two airports in your previous flights.

Just to insure your RC install file is OK download a new one from your previous link or request it from jd@jdtllc.com subject registration update and rcv4 link. Include your user name old e-mail address and current e-mail address if different. Be sure to allow jdtllc.com through your pc and isp e-mail spam filters. This will make sure your user data on file is updated to facilitate the auto key generation service and provide you with a new link for the download.

Using Win control panel uninstall RCv4 with the programs applet (after you have received the new installer file). To run the installer you will have to right click on the installer .exe file and select run as admin - a program level access (and it helps to be logged in with admin rights as well-you can use your current user name if you have admin rights). This should get you to the registration screen and then you can send in the auto e-mail it creates and that should work after jd has updated your data. You should get a reply within thirty minutes for auto registration unless there are internet issues.

After receiving your e-mail with the new key start rc with right clicking on it and selecting run as admin. It is important when you paste in the key from the registration e-mail that no extra characters follow the last character as Win is prone to do. The cursor should fall right after the last character and if not backspace until it does. Let the installer run and for the scenery rebuild part make sure you put in the correct path to the FSX folder. Close RC. Now reinstall the current versions of FSUIPC4 and makerwys.exe in case the installer "retro'd" those items to previous versions. Now set up a shortcut to rcv4.exe, right click on it, and set its security properties to run as admin. Restart RC and double check your paths and then rebuild the scenery database again at this point set up yor RC key assignments and general options and close it. You should now be good to go.

For your first flight use default airports and a default aircraft with out any flight saves. Use a plan over 200 nm. If all ran OK then after closing RC and fs go into your RC4 folder and under that create a new folder call datbacks. Copy your rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat files into that to provide a backup.

To close RC if not terminated normally from RC itself before FSX closes, just alt-tab to RC while FSX is still running and click the Quit button. Avoid using the task manager to close RC as RC will hang if it is not finished and closed before FSX closes.

When entering in RC options your deviations on heading and altitude do not excessively enter large values in an attempt to stop RC from monitoring you altitude and headings. We have had issues with users attempting that.

While waiting for your key think of any system hardware or software changes that might have affected FS and RC. Do not attempt to use the 3 GB .exe modification on RC.

Be sure RC is passed through all of your security applications as noted in the pinned topics.

I think I have listed most of the "gotcha's".

Ronzie,

That worked. I've attached the rcv3 file after the flight. I saved 3 times during the flight. When I checked the directory and 3 files were there. Including .wx and .rcd.

So what have we learned form this? What do I do now?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Bill

Let us see if the scenery is the culprit. Word or Wordpad do the following - but do not save:

We'll just take a shortcut. In rcv4\data first open (using open with) a4.csv and then r4.csv. See if CYBA and CYXJ are both listed. the a4 line should have the correct coordinates for each and the r4 line(s) should have runway information. This is the final result of the scenery rebuild. We're trying to see if the correct default and add-on scenery details are present in both files and we're not missing. This is just an "insurance" check. Also see if both airports are listed in f4.csv in the rcv4\data folder. That is a fixed data file but with the very recent versions of makerwys.exe there is a reference f4.csv file with comm data that is built from your installed scenery (but not used) by RC in your FS folder. You can use any missing airport line you observe in the rcv4\data\f4.csv file by copying the line from FSX\f4.csv and inserting it in alphabetical order in the rcv4\data\f4.csv carefully maintaining the critical data format.

If OK try your initial plan. If it fails with the same error you might have to reinstall RC again. If it fails with those two airports then it is a scenery problem but it should display an error message. Another symptom is if after loading a plan and then starting FS with a loaded flight with the same departure airport but the aircraft is moved with the RC start, then there is a scenery coordinate mismatch between the plan and RC's airport data.

I assume you mean it was the RC reinstall that worked.

So "stress" the system if you wish with the worst case. If your first flight was less than150 nm that could present a problem which might be one cause. Remember that RC was created for controlled flight although I realize in certain circumstances this could happen on very short routes.

If you need to reinstall if using the new install safe copies of rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat (after registering and setting paths) doesn't work for restoring those you just use the same key unless you change the location of RC or format the volume in which case anew key will need to be regenerated again. You do get a few tries on the keys.

Was there anything specific that you noticed that might have caused the failure?

Please tell us what steps you took.