Sign in to follow this  
WR269

Weather at YBBN

My home town is being affected by the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald. We have had cyclonic winds for 24 hours and over 300 mm of rain. At the moment winds are gusting to 45 knots.

The significance of this is that YBBN tower will be evacuated if winds reach 50 knots as the swaying will be considered unsafe.

The weather bureau has warned of tropical thunderstorms in the area for this afternoon so it looks like the weather nightmare will extend a little bit longer.

Anybody using the flight tracker app is in for some very interesting stuff. An Emirates 777 did two missed approaches before it had to divert and just saw a VOZ 737 perform another missed approach.

If you wish to test your weather engines today, this is the place to do it.

We had crosswinds this morning in Dublin at 28kts, gusting 32kts, CB all around and moderate rain. Quite the sporty approach... :rolleyes:

Of course, as is always the case with Dublin when there's a cross wind, the cross wind runway was closed for maintainance... Go figure... :rolleyes:

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

But Dublin doesn't feature as many dangerous animals, Rónán. :P Seriously, I hope you Oz folks are safe and that the only downside really are those missed approaches and things.

But Dublin doesn't feature as many dangerous animals, Rónán. :P

What, but only two months ago, one of our aircraft suffered a..... wait for it...

"Badger Strike". :mellow:

Yup, if that's not a dangerous animal, then I don't know what is... :P ^_^ :rolleyes:

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

The "good thing" here Ronan is that the main 01/19 runway at YBBN was built ACROSS the prevailing wind due to political pressure, to appease suburbs under the predicted flight path, so crosswind landings here are just about the norm.

The two main rivers around my area will flood once again tonight, but the level is not expected to be as high as 2011 when it was a complete disaster. I truly feel for people just finishing their rebuilding process after the floods of 2011 and they have been told to once again pack up and evacuate. It is truly heartbreaking.

Some rivers up north will flood to their highest level ever today so the cities of Bundaberg, Gladstone and Gympie face an immense amount of damage. The system is moving south towards Sydney at the moment.

If you're talking about the

, then I agree. :lol:

That chap should narrate everything on the Discovery Channel LOL!! :lol:

But no, just your standard generic Irish Badger...

The "good thing" here Ronan is that the main 01/19 runway at YBBN was built ACROSS the prevailing wind due to political pressure, to appease suburbs under the predicted flight path, so crosswind landings here are just about the norm.

The two main rivers around my area will flood once again tonight, but the level is not expected to be as high as 2011 when it was a complete disaster. I truly feel for people just finishing their rebuilding process after the floods of 2011 and they have been told to once again pack up and evacuate. It is truly heartbreaking.

Some rivers up north will flood to their highest level ever today so the cities of Bundaberg, Gladstone and Gympie face an immense amount of damage. The system is moving south towards Sydney at the moment.

Ah political pressure, we're no stranger to that here, our third largest airport in the Republic of Ireland is bult on a hill that's almost always in a cloud... :rolleyes:

Gosh, I hadn't known yee were getting such storms, I thought there was a drought going on down under.... Hope y'all hold up well through it.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

We were in a heat wave until 2 weeks ago, everything was cinder dry, we were sweltering....now we are flooding...like a well known local song says..."this is Australia....."

Of course the difference between the two counties being that yee have these wild swings in weather, whereas in Ireland, the only difference between Summer and Winter is that in Summer, the rain is warmer here... :blush:

Indeed, we've been having similarly poor weather today, with flooding expected along the coast tonight, but not too much property damage expected, and this morning was another sporty arrival, this time winds 34kts gusting 48kts... :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0128/364898-weather-warning/

In other news:

554337_253174511482237_491474618_n.jpg

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Just thought I'd post this here, a pic from one of the Dublin Airport spotters, if the date on the photo is right, this is me landing yesterday at max demonstrated x-wind:

8426677793_6cc60c356a.jpg

Aer Lingus (Retro)     Airbus A320              EI-DVM

Winds 90 degrees off at 33 knots, minimum 17, maximum 38 knots.

From 2000' down to about 700AGL the winds were 80 degrees off at 55knots, gusting 60knots!!! :O

Aircraft diverting left right and center, we luckily were at the maximum x-wind component crossing the threshold, so legal to land.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

If you're talking about the

, then I agree. :lol:

What did I just watch lol

I was in the middle of a flight on VATSIM from YBCS to YBBN during that time with AS2012 weather on and everything.

Unfortunately I lost power at that moment and was never able to complete it :(

if the date on the photo is right, this is me landing yesterday at max demonstrated x-wind:

Wow, and the prop folks looking even more dramatic. Not taking into account what the perspective does though. http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/ :O

Is that the retro paint on your Airbus?

So close! Next time, pilots should wave. :Phttp://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Gosh, I hadn't known yee were getting such storms, I thought there was a drought going on down under....

There still is on the other side of the country, here in Perth. To all you QLDer's hope you're hangin in there/got through it.

Ronan, that link under the picture of you landing, do you always flare that much?

edit: just realised that picture might be a takeoff?