Sign in to follow this  

Okay, this is pretty weird. Right now I'm back down to my original 4.2GHz with 1.315v. My idle temperature is about 40 Celcius, and this is stable. I'm trying to get 4.5, and every time I start a test with Prime95 I BSOD after about 1 min. and 30 seconds. I "trial" checked 4.5 with, firstly, 1.320v. I BSOD'ed after ~1:20. Then I tried 1.330, and same thing. Then, after a lot of different voltages, I tried 1.355v, and I STILL BSOD'ed. I kinda gave up on 4.5 because I didn't want to get any higher on my voltages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem hitting 4.5GHz as well, but it's holding steady at 4.3GHz for now. It might be that you got the runt of the litter in terms of Overclocking!

Danny

:Confused:

Some processors have better overclockablity than others, even if they are the exact same model. For example, I've heard of people hitting 4.8GHz with their 2500K, whereas the OP and I can't get it above 4.5GHz...

Danny

Okay, this is pretty weird. Right now I'm back down to my original 4.2GHz with 1.315v. My idle temperature is about 40 Celcius, and this is stable. I'm trying to get 4.5, and every time I start a test with Prime95 I BSOD after about 1 min. and 30 seconds. I "trial" checked 4.5 with, firstly, 1.320v. I BSOD'ed after ~1:20. Then I tried 1.330, and same thing. Then, after a lot of different voltages, I tried 1.355v, and I STILL BSOD'ed. I kinda gave up on 4.5 because I didn't want to get any higher on my voltages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Did you set your RAM speed, timings and voltage manually? have you checked it's running in spec?

Also remember to put settings like Load-Line Calibration, Phase Control, and Duty Control to Extreme or at least to Ultra High. Try increasing CPU Maximum Capability. Disable EPU Power Saving Mode, disable Spread Spectrum (very important). Disable all power saving modes like C1E, C3, and C6. Put overclocking mode to X.M.P. so your RAM will be put to the default specs. Always leave base clock at 100 MHz, and only change the multiplier. Try increasing CPU PLL Voltage to 1.8 or 1.9V too.

And 1.355 is not even THAT high for 4.5 GHz, I mean, most people can do it with like 1.32, but I also needed 1.35V for it, and I need 1.39V for 4.7 GHz.

As long you don't exceed 1.4V you are safe. Try to increase the voltage even more.

Some processors have better overclockablity than others, even if they are the exact same model. For example, I've heard of people hitting 4.8GHz with their 2500K, whereas the OP and I can't get it above 4.5GHz...

Why is that? It makes no sense to me.

Did you set your RAM speed, timings and voltage manually? have you checked it's running in spec?

I don't want to overclock my memory, though, so everything is at its default speeds for my RAM.

Also remember to put settings like Load-Line Calibration, Phase Control, and Duty Control to Extreme or at least to Ultra High. Try increasing CPU Maximum Capability. Disable EPU Power Saving Mode, disable Spread Spectrum (very important). Disable all power saving modes like C1E, C3, and C6. Put overclocking mode to X.M.P. so your RAM will be put to the default specs. Always leave base clock at 100 MHz, and only change the multiplier. Try increasing CPU PLL Voltage to 1.8 or 1.9V too.

And 1.355 is not even THAT high for 4.5 GHz, I mean, most people can do it with like 1.32, but I also needed 1.35V for it, and I need 1.39V for 4.7 GHz.

As long you don't exceed 1.4V you are safe. Try to increase the voltage even more.

Okay, I'll have to change some of those settings. I did turn off spread spectrum, but I forgot to do the rest such as the power options.

Thanks

Edited by linux731

Hi Diego:

I know this isn't the 2500k - but these are working examples of the settings for the 2600K. Try them.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Don't be sad. Mine can only go to 4.4 and that's with auto vcore (I don't recommend this at all)... but it was the ONLY way to get mine stable.

I run RAM on XMP with mult 44x, auto vcore. That's the only combination for mine which seems to work at all.

If I were you I'd reset everything, set XMP if you RAM has that. Set 45 multi and auto vcore (keep an eye on temps) and just boot once into windows... don't play any games etc... just see what the temp is. If it's low then run P95 and see what happens... With auto vcore my voltage goes between 1.344 and 1.356v temps in P95 or IBT go to about 70C max.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

yeah, that's probably it. I mean you RAM should either be set manually or through the XMP profile. Diego, if you leave it to it's own devices, chances are your mobo is choosing to run your RAM off spec.

Post screenies of CPU-Z, both Memory & SPD tabs

I'll try disabling those power saving things. Let's see. I'll check out your Dropbox file, thanks.

yeah, that's probably it. I mean you RAM should either be set manually or through the XMP profile. Diego, if you leave it to it's own devices, chances are your mobo is choosing to run your RAM off spec.

Post screenies of CPU-Z, both Memory & SPD tabs

Here you go:

It's probably your Command Rate. now set to 1T as seen in the memory tab, when it should be 2T, as seen in the XMP-1600 column in the SPD tab

+1 - Overclocking requires Ram to be setup perfectly. Usually the best route is to use the XMP profile 1.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Depends on your Mobo but you should have an option to set the memory profile in bios somewhere like the Extreme Profile here:

MBOC_2.png

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png