Sign in to follow this  

Alright, I went back to 4.2GHz with 1.315v. It seems like this is really stable, no crashes so far. Would water-cooling help with my problem, or is it not really temperature related? I mean, I don't think so.

Doesn't sound like heat is your issue so water won't really help you. Remember though the higher the vcore the hotter the chip will get.

Your chip sounds finicky when it comes to voltage and will just need a higher voltage than you have tried. But if you are not comfortable with higher voltage then keep what you have. That is the trick to OC'ing chips, find the fastest stable speed that you are comfortable with. Other settings like PLL, LLC, phase control, C-states, etc can all affect your OC.

I noticed with my 2500k there was a big jump voltage wise from 4.2-4.5 then minor jumps to 4.7.

Also beware of using the auto vcore when overclocking. It has a nasty tendency to use way more voltage than needed resulting in lowering the max clock potential of your chip and bringing unnecessary heat/stress. I have yet to see an overclock guide recommend auto vcore due to the potential for over volt.

Are you manually setting the volts or using offset mode?

I have links to several guides if you are interested.

Google "CPU Degradation". CPUs are made out of silicons on things called waffles. Their thermal conductivity decays over a period of time. As their conductivity decreases, they require more and more voltages to hit the same frequencies. They will always run in the same base frequency, but any increase will require an exponential growth in voltages. That means if you could do 4.2 Ghz to 4.5 Ghz with an additional 0.05v today, when degradation starts happening, you will suddenly require 0.5v maybe even more. It happens and with these core i CPUs this happens much more frequently.

I used to run 24/7 5.0 Ghz @ 1.485 Ghz, one day suddenly I started getting BSODs. Now I need 1.535 for the same frequency. For me this happened at 5.0 Ghz, for some people it happens at 4.2 Ghz.

That being said, RAM speed is a big limitation to CPU overclocking. Depending on the quality of the RAM you have, you may have to downclock your RAM significantly before hitting high levels. For instance, I can do 4.75 Ghz/2333 Mhz at 1.4v core and 1.65v DRAM, but if I want to do 4.8 Ghz/2400 Mhz, I now need 1.425v core and 1.69v DRAM, which is a significant increase.

I thinks its your motherboard but that's just me get an x79 overclock problem gone, I had the same problem got a rock solid gigabyte bam no problems.

Rich Sennett

4.2ghz is still really good. Why do you wanna overclock it anymore? If it doesn't wanna go more dint force it.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

4.2ghz is still really good. Why do you wanna overclock it anymore? If it doesn't wanna go more dint force it.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

Yeah I agree, I'll leave it at 4.2. Thanks.