Sign in to follow this  
jeffchan

FSX - Engines reduce to Idle during takeoff climb-out

I am operating FSX with the MAAM DC-3 suite of aircraft modified for FSX..

I have had the much debated issues with missing gauges that I have resolved with information from this forum.

The loading and engine start procedures go well and I takeoff normally.

However, at about 2000 feet altitude I hear a "chicken/turkey" sound over the speakers, the engines reduce to idle

without any input from me and I settle slowly onto the ground.

This only happens with the MAAM DC3 aircraft. The default FSX aircraft perform normally. The "chicken/turkey"

sound must be part of FSX or the MAAM files - programmers with a sense of humour!

I must be doing something incorrectly. Can anyone help?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Shame on you. You blew up two perfectly good Pratt & Whitneys! Those are going to cost you something north of $60K - each, to rebuild. :-)

You are correct that this sound was the result of "programmers with a sense of humour!", but the code-writing comics were not the MS guys. The idea originated with our our gauge guru, Fred Banting, demonstrating the sense of humor that Canadians are famous for (many of the great comedians working in the U.S. are actually Canucks).

When we decided to incorporate an engine failure feature in our TMB Avenger, Fred found a funny chicken clucking sound to use in place of the more conventional bang noise found in other planes when you blow up a mill. But since it was for the TBM "Turkey", i located the turkey gobble sound for the TBM. The engine failure mod was subsequently incorporated into the R4D/DC-3/C-47 the B-25 packages, and we put the chicken sound you heard in these planes as the engine failure.wav.

So, you must have been a bad boy and were not paying attention to your gauges while climbing out. The engine failure mod is activated when you exceed the redlines for too long. Specifically, as Manifold Pressure exceeds the Maximum Continuous Power Rating, the Cylinder Head Temperature will gradually begin to rise. As the MP increases the CHT rises faster. You will see the needles of both the Cylinder Temp and Oil Temp gauges climb toward their redlines. If corrective action is not taken, the engines will fail and you will hear the dreaded outraged chicken!.

The METO (Maximum Except Takeoff) numbers for the R4D, which has the more powerful,1350 BHP, P&W 1830-94 engines, and all other repaints based on it, are Manifold Pressure 43.5 inches and an RPM of 2600 at 105 knots. The DC-3 and C-47 aircraft in this package equipped with the 1830-92 of 1200 BHP METO has numbers of 42 MP and 2550 RPM. Check your kneeboard to see which engines you have in your particular Douglas.

So remember to reduce your throttles and props to the correct settings and avoid the "buck-buck-buck-buGAWK of shame". If you forget and do suffer the failure, you will need to reload the aircraft to "repair" the engines. If you are a realism nut, feather those props and start looking for a flat place to put her down for a dead-stick landing. If you pull it off, reloading the plane from the Aircraft Menu will set you right. I hope you remembered to pull back on the "go sticks", though, otherwise you'll find yourself on a takeoff roll, ready or not!

You can cheat and do this in-flight without interrupting your present trip by using the key shortcut: Alt, A, A, Enter. Your wounded Gooney Bird will be magicallly healed,engines running. Now pull back those levers or you're going to waste a couple more P&Ws!

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Bill,

Thanks. I appreciate the prompt reply.

Fred Banting and I share a similar sarcastic sense of humour.

Full power certainly shortens the takeoff roll though.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, full power, or nearly so, is not only OK for takeoff, it's S.O.P. Hence the METO - Maximum EXCEPT Take-Off number. Just reduce on climb-out and the foul fowl will remain silent.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org