Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Rain40 fix, only for DX10?

Found a tip using a rain fix in this -> http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/pri-news/avsim-software-and-hardware-guide-for-fsx-r1032 great guide but the instructions says I should delete the Shaders10 folder after replacing the original rain.fx file but I don't have Shaders10 folder and I guess that's because I'm not using DX10.

Does this mean the fix will only work if you're running FSX in DX10 preview mode and if yes, is there a similar rain fix that will work for DX9? Would be very happy if so because the "tunnel effect" both for rain and snow in FSX is really ugly!

TIA,

Richard Åsberg

If you pop over to the DX10 forum and take a look at Paul's excellent how to document, on page 5 I think, you will find the links to the original rain fix and what you need to do.

If you pop over to the DX10 forum and take a look at Paul's excellent how to document, on page 5 I think, you will find the links to the original rain fix and what you need to do.

Thanks, will have a look!

Richard Åsberg

Just had a look but I'm not sure what you were referring to because all I could find was the same installation instructions I already read which seem to assume you're running FSX in DX10 preview mode.

Richard Åsberg

Hi it will work for DX9 as that's what it was originally written for. Use the Gizmo version. The newer version is optimised for a triple monitor setup and might also work in DX9 but I've not tried it.

Hi it will work for DX9 as that's what it was originally written for. Use the Gizmo version. The newer version is optimised for a triple monitor setup and might also work in DX9 but I've not tried it.

Looking at the installation instructions for the Gizmo version it says to delete the rain.fx_xxxxxxx file located in a folder with Shaders10 in it's path, doesn't that indicate DX10?

Guess I could just give it a go and see what happens, maybe that's what I'll do.

Richard Åsberg

Forgive me if being blind or stupid reading the installation instruction for this rain fix but this is what the doc says:

Open your (drive) \%FSX-root%\ShadersHLSL \Misc\ and make a backup copy of Rain40.fx, then replace it

with this modified version here.

Once done – go to your C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\Misc

folder, and remove/delete the Rain40.fx_0x4700000000000000_0x0f file. This will be replaced by FSX when you

next fire it up.

Could you please help me understand how to accomplish the second step marked in bold when I don't have a Shaders10 folder but only a Shaders folder that doesn't include the mentioned Rain40.fx_0x4700000000000000_0x0f file? Or maybe I can just omit this second step?

However I still am puzzled when you say this is for DX9, isn't the Shaders10 folder mentioned in the installation doc a pure DX10 folder and the Shaders folder I find it's DX9 equivalent?

Richard Åsberg

Haven't tried this fix but I believe if you're only using DX9 then the second step isn't necessary.

If there's a Rain40.fx_0x4700000000000000_0x0f file in the DX9 folder, you might try deleting it (after making a backup) and see what happens.

Already checked and I don't have a Rain40.fx_0x4700000000000000_0x0f file in the DX9 folder which makes me wonder if this really works running under DX9, can someone confirm this?

Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens and if I see any difference.

Richard Åsberg

Just did a flight from ESSA-EGLL and arrived in a rainy London and boy was it an improvement over the default rain effect in FSX!

Thank you so much for this fix!!

Richard Åsberg

What exactly does this fix improve for DX9 users?

The name of the fix says it all, it will fix the rain effect and it really is a major improvement IMHO...far better than I expected!

You should try it out and see for yourself.

Richard Åsberg

Well, I have never had a problem with the rain effect in FSX, that's why I asked.

The name of the fix says it all, it will fix the rain effect and it really is a major improvement IMHO...far better than I expected!

You should try it out and see for yourself.

Glad you got it sorted :)