Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Oculus Rift OPUS integration

Hi OPUS crew -- you've managed to integrate TrackIR and the CP Flight MCP with your software in such short periods of time; would it be possible to do the same with the Oculus Rift which is being released in a few weeks?

Best regards. :)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

It's a headset over your eyes. How are you going to see your yoke, joystick, keyboard, charts? It might be fun for acrobatics or dogfighting; ie a game. But doesn't seem very good for a complicated simulator. Also from what I know of it, it's a little more involved than just hooking to TrackIR's api. It doesn't just change your viewpoint. It manipulates and modifies what the game outputs to the graphics card. I don't think anyone but ACES would be able to integrate. But we'll see. Also the developer SDK and prototype is $300. Opus probably won't pay for it and the fact that you have to pay for the SDK is worrying. Again a little more complicated than TrackIR integration. Also don't know where you got a release of a few weeks. The SDK doesn't ship until April per theie website, and no eta or price for the consumer version.

How about using TrackIR (which is already built in to many games) and a quality VR headset?

I've seen comments about running FSX in 3D, so if that's possible it's likely possible to run through a VR headset just as well. Combine this with the existing TrackIR integration and you've got the same thing.

The most likely reason it's not already commonplace is because of the expense and the fact that only recently have we had really high quality LCD displays that would work in such an application. I don't know if the LCD quality is as good as we need yet.

Most VR headsets don't completely cover the eyes at the bottom, so to see your keyboard, etc, all you have to do is glance down, about the same as looking at your monitor and glancing at your keyboard without moving your head.

Maybe Simmo can tell us more about 3D FSX.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

It's a headset over your eyes. How are you going to see your yoke, joystick, keyboard, charts? It might be fun for acrobatics or dogfighting; ie a game. But doesn't seem very good for a complicated simulator. Also from what I know of it, it's a little more involved than just hooking to TrackIR's api. It doesn't just change your viewpoint. It manipulates and modifies what the game outputs to the graphics card. I don't think anyone but ACES would be able to integrate. But we'll see. Also the developer SDK and prototype is $300. Opus probably won't pay for it and the fact that you have to pay for the SDK is worrying. Again a little more complicated than TrackIR integration. Also don't know where you got a release of a few weeks. The SDK doesn't ship until April per theie website, and no eta or price for the consumer version.

You can feel for your yoke and throttle. Instruments can be handled with the mouse. Charts can be called up withi. FSX.

As for the release date, I have the developer version on order so, YES I expect a release In a few weeks.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

We don't have any immediate plans, let us know how you get on with it. Has LM announced anything about integration yet?

Cheers

Cheryl