Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

The New PC (parts still deciding)

Hi all,

I've been putting getting a new machine off for quite some time due to various reasons, now I am committed to get a new rig.

Below are some parts that I've already decided on, some parts still undecided (needing your help), and some I have no idea.

To keep this short and easy to read, I will try to explain myself in point form, hope to get some feedbacks and suggestions.

*****Aim*****

• To get a machine where I can fly my addons (won't be anything stupid I hope) at a stable 30fps at any time
  • Main addons being all the weather ones, terrain or environment enhancements, EZCA, PMDG recent products (NGX, future 777, 747 v2 etc.), ORBX scenery, potentially growing into trackIR
  • Graphics setting pretty much all maxed out, except for those we all agree are less or insignificant, but AA being a big one for me personally

*****Previous Problems*****

• Existing machine is running an old first gen i7 (970 from memory), tried to OC to 4.0GHz, and its crying (by that I mean very hot), bought a Noctua NH14D, a lot better but still struggling
  • Not stable system, outputting too much heat
  • Didn't consider whats good RAM, just bought a bunch (8GB total, Kingston)
  • Normal HDD, 7200rpm ones
  • Not getting stable graphics or frames

*****Current Hardware List*****

• MB: Asus Z77 (not sure on the exact model, and if there are other suggestions, please let me know)
  • CPU: i5 3570K or i7 3770K (not decided, confused about i7's heat output, but seeing lots of good results from the i7 on FSXMark, please comment)
  • GFX: NVidia GTX580 - Carried over from my old machine
  • RAM: Undecided, please comment
  • HD: At least one SSD (128GB) and one SATA (1TB)
  • Cooling: Corsair H100i (going to try my NH14D on it first, then see if I need to go H2O)
  • Case: Undecided, but something that I can plug in the H100i, please comment
  • PSU: Undecided, I was just thinking to get something that can support the other components, please comment

I am also running dual screen, both resolution 1920x1080, not sure if this is any useful for your commenting. And if I have left out something important, please let me know.

Thanks in advanced,

Cheers,

Brendan

P.S.

Sorry, this didn't turn out to be as short as I'd like it. I've left this kind of open for more options in comments and feedback. Thanks.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

To get a machine where I can fly my addons (won't be anything stupid I hope) at a stable 30fps at any time

Main addons being all the weather ones, terrain or environment enhancements, EZCA, PMDG recent products (NGX, future 777, 747 v2 etc.), ORBX scenery, potentially growing into trackIR

Graphics setting pretty much all maxed out, except for those we all agree are less or insignificant, but AA being a big one for me personally

i7 3770K

Unfortunately, with your combination of add-ons (similar to mine, expect I do not use general regional scenery such as FTX or GEX), achieving a steady 30 frames/s at any time on your proposed system is extremely unlikely.

During high-altitude cruise, in exterior views, in rural areas, and with default aircraft, such performance can definitely be achieved, but you will probably need more overclocking than what is practical in order to meet those standards in the VC on the ground, especially at complex payware airports.

While my non-overclocked, stock computer possesses specifications slightly weaker than those of your proposed system, I have difficulty maintaining a steady 24 frames/s running the PMDG B747 at FSDT airports after applying tweaks and using DX10, the latter two of which offer better performance. My frame rates decrease to approximately 20 frames/s at UK2000 airports.

I am also running dual screen, both resolution 1920x1080

I am guessing that this will require more graphics card strength, particularly if you want to use high-definition clouds and water.

Basically, always keep your FSX performance expectations modest, or else you might disappoint yourself, as I did when I upgraded from my 2008 Apple iMac (Core 2 Duo E8235) to my current system. I will let other builders with more experience than I have comment on your other components.

Thanks Owen, I have planned to OC it, thus the watercooling and the 'K' series CPU. Except this 'modest' expectation, I am not quite sure how to quantify, and what is considered 'modest'.

People ask me why do I keep upgrading my machine, I am not someone who follows technology or keeps updated with the current trends, but I guess the reason is that I have not yet got a machine that satisfies me. Everytime, I get one, I find something else critically wrong with my hardware, or related limitations.

So this time, I am spending decent hours and time researching for the "most" suitable machine. I see people on youtube, or people from AOA having to record the screen while getting smooth animation still on the ground. That is what I'm trying to go for more or less. Their machine might be aged by one generation, and is possible to achieve such a result, I believe with the current generation, it can be better.

Though I am not chasing the MOST POWERFUL machine out there. I simply want to get a rig that will "satisfy" me. (Maybe asking too much? lol)

Brendan Chen

You'll do fine with either I5 or I7 (Up to you $$$$). 8g for ram.

If I have the budget for i7, will it be better? 8g ram wise, what speed and brand should I be looking at? Recently I've just realised you (may) need to OC your ram to go with the CPU as well, should I be considering RAM cooling too?

Brendan Chen

Also regarding motherboard, I had very little experience in it, all I know was Z68 or Z77 are good. And one should find one that is easy to OC with.

I know one of the top-of-the range board its Asus ROG type board. I was looking at the Maximus V-Gene, and wonder, would anyone recommend this (or this types of boards), or is it an overkill?

What type of boards are commonly used in OCs in the FS community?

Brendan Chen

You'll do fine with either I5 or I7 (Up to you $$$$). 8g for ram.

Agreed... Ram.... something like this (faster ram is good for ivy)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231638

To be sure check your mobo's ram brands it can accept (I'm fairly sure it would take this)

Case - the one I have and LOVE! Corsair 650D

http://www.corsair.c...eries-650d.html

PSU - I also love my Seasonic x750... But I hear the new corsair txv2's are nice!

The 750w would be more than enough power:

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/tx-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx750-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-750-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_560-660-760-850.htm

The Seasonic is modular and paired with the case I listed you don't really need a modular psu. In fact a non modular is almost better because you can feed the big mass of cables behind the mobo tray...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Agreed... Ram.... something like this (faster ram is good for ivy)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231638

To be sure check your mobo's ram brands it can accept (I'm fairly sure it would take this)

The closest thing that comes to this is: here or here, not sure if it makes that much of a difference? Except in any one of these there is no cooler like the one you showed me, is that cooler absolutely necessary?

Brendan Chen

That would be fine... those timings are just a tad slower than the one I linked but you'd be fine!

The cooler is nice but you'll be okay without one (I'm presuming they include the cooler in my link because they're overclocking the ram a little). That's what those massive heat spreads are for. I was going to mention that... but you already said you own a H100i so no problem with the CPU heatsink and ram heatspreaders!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well I am planning to get the H100i, don't have one at the moment. I do have an NH14D which I will probably try before I get an H100i. I leave in the tropics, so ambient room temps during summers can get to upper to 30s, so I'm concerned about my cooling.

With this information, do you think I should probably go with the H100i straight up? And during winters, will there be any type of condensation problems with closed-loop water coolers?

Brendan Chen

Go I7 , for FSX you do not want to skimp on the CPU, get a CPU that will crunch FSX like a toy, and this is also dependent on how much you really want to spend, and is usually the problem with buying Intel chips. However the I7 3770K should do nicely, unless you really want to play with the big dogs and go with a Socket 2011 I7 3930K, but get prepared to spend $$$$$$$ for that. As for a case, this is something only you can really answer, what exactly do you expect from the case, how do you want it to look, and how big do you want it to be?

I personally use an Antec 1200 V3 ATX Full tower, its a great case, looks are basic, but its very functional and practical. As for a CPU cooler, if you really want to OC and I suspect you do, get the Corsair H100i, unless you want to build your own custom liquid cooled system, but that costs $$$$$$$$$.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Case - the one I have and LOVE! Corsair 650D

http://www.corsair.c...eries-650d.html

This case indeed do look promising, but I initially was looking at something like this, would this hold the H100i?

PSU - I also love my Seasonic x750... But I hear the new corsair txv2's are nice!

The 750w would be more than enough power:

http://www.corsair.c...wer-supply.html

http://www.seasonicu...660-760-850.htm

The Seasonic is modular and paired with the case I listed you don't really need a modular psu. In fact a non modular is almost better because you can feed the big mass of cables behind the mobo tray...

I'm not quite sure on this concept of "modularity", could you please explain? Aren't all PSUs modular (as in they are a standalone system) anyway?

On the motherboard part, I also have no much ideas, is something like this an overkill? Or is about right? If overkill, any other suggestions?

Brendan Chen

Go I7 , for FSX you do not want to skimp on the CPU, get a CPU that will crunch FSX like a toy, and this is also dependent on how much you really want to spend, and is usually the problem with buying Intel chips. However the I7 3770K should do nicely, unless you really want to play with the big dogs and go with a Socket 2011 I7 3930K, but get prepared to spend $$$$$$$ for that.

Yea great point there, the 39xx is too much, and not really prepared to pay for it (got other hobbies to run that are quite expensive also) lol.

As for a case, this is something only you can really answer, what exactly do you expect from the case, how do you want it to look, and how big do you want it to be?

I personally use an Antec 1200 V3 ATX Full tower, its a great case, looks are basic, but its very functional and practical.

Case wise if I'm going for something this big, I don't want to also skimp out on it. My order of importance for the case is: cooling, size (the bigger the better I guess, so I can fit whatever I need to fit in it, including the H100i), looks.

I wouldn't say I am not that concerned about looks, because I am, but it's not my top priority. Thus I asked whether something like this would be suitable for what I need? Because looks wise and its specs seem sound, but I might have missed out on some important attributes.

As for a CPU cooler, if you really want to OC and I suspect you do, get the Corsair H100i, unless you want to build your own custom liquid cooled system, but that costs $$$$$$$$$.

Nah, don't have the knowledge or the budget to go custom. But you would suggest H100i straight up? Or try the NH14D first? The TIM from the H100i would be good for cooling? Or should I get something else custom as well?

Brendan Chen

That's a big case but yes it would work. It looks pretty cool actually!

Modular, referring to the cabling, meaning you only plug in (to the PSU) the cables you'll use. The back of the PSU has keyed holes where the cords fit and if you only have 1 hard drive, you only plug in 1 sata cable to the PSU. Non modular means a big cylindrical gob of wires comes out the back of the PSU... it's messier for cases that don't have place to hide the unused wires behind the mobo tray. Your proposed case probably has a place to hide them.

Z77 for motherboard yours listed is a good one.

If thats the look you like, try this....

http://www.thermalta...x?id=C_00001802

Isn't that for water cooling?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |