Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

The New PC (parts still deciding)

I second Ryan's recommendation on the PSUs, (Seasonic is one of the three manufacturers for Corsair PSUs). Corsair cases are highly regarded as some of the best you can buy. I have G.Skills in my setup and I have no complaints. You want the sticks that have the combination of the fastest frequencies with the lowest latencies.

If it was me I would select my motherboard first and then download the memory QVL from the Asus's website for that board. You can't go wrong with the memory sticks that have been tested and are known to be compatible.

I would suggest looking here for more advice. These guys are extremely helpful. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

Chuck Biggins

If thats the look you like, try this....

http://www.thermalta...x?id=C_00001802

This looks like the same one as the one I mentioned except with the LCS built in. Now my two concerns are; 1) Will this LCS be less 'good' compared to the H100i (which I expect), and 2) I don't think I can even get the case where I live, otherwise I will probably have to shop online somewhere (does newegg ship international?)

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

I know newegg has many different sites, it depends upon where you live, as for the LCS it was just an option for you if you are really serious about OC and using a LQC system.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Well with that it means I won't need the H100i then?

I know newegg has many different sites, it depends upon where you live, as for the LCS it was just an option for you if you are really serious about OC and using a LQC system.

Well with the LCS it means I won't need the H100i?

Brendan Chen

If it was me I would select my motherboard first and then download the memory QVL from the Asus's website for that board. You can't go wrong with the memory sticks that have been tested and are known to be compatible.

Wow interesting, I can't seemed to find a match on the motherboard's QVL to the RAM that are available from umart (scaled down version of newegg in Aus). The closest match are:

And it looks like none of these match ones from the QVL :S

• G.SKILL F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB )
  • G.SKILL F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB )
  • G.SKILL F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB )
  • G.SKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD(XMP) 32GB ( 4x 8GB )
  • G.SKILL F3-19200CL9D-4GBPIS(XMP)

Now I am stuck again. The bold are my original pick, but does this mean that if it is not on the QVL, it's no good?

Brendan Chen

It should still work without any issues. As long as the voltages and frequencies match what the board and processor can handle. The QVL shows what ASUS believes can be trusted to work.

Chuck Biggins

I just finished a new build a couple months ago and went through a lot of these same questions.

H100i is an excellent choice. I started with the nh-d14 and the change was well worth it.

I went with the g.skill trident 2400, just make sure you get the 9cl, not the 10.

I have the coolmaster 932 advanced case. Love it. Highly recommend. Especially considering how large my graphics cards are. My first case was an antec 900 and my gpu's wouldn't fit.

You don't need an i7 for fsx. I5 is fine. I went with i7 though for occasional video editing. I was able to oc to 4.6 no problem.

I went from a gtx670 to a single gtx680 to two 680s. I get great fps with sliders maxed and hd clouds with the exception of pmdg which slows things down a bit while at the airports.

Hope any of that helps.

Well with that it means I won't need the H100i then?

Well with the LCS it means I won't need the H100i?

Well yes BUT...

I'd just stick with your case and your H100i. That water loop... I don't know of the components at all. One things for sure... the experts recommend you don't skimp with sub par components for LCS... You can easily spend as much as your rig costs on water cooling/liquid cooling solutions. Another thing that is proven is the quality of the H100i.... You spent the money on your H100i - keep it!

"Waygo" - I too suggested the CL9 but his stores in AU don't have any kits with 9 timings from the QVL sheet. He should be fine with CL10 in my opinion or just find a 8GB kit with CL9 that's not on the QVL.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok well the CL9 wasn't completely impossible. I am currently in France, and seems to be able to find the CL9, please tell me if this is the one we're talking about? Once again, no cooler

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00138944.html

Brendan Chen

Go I7 , for FSX you do not want to skimp on the CPU, get a CPU that will crunch FSX like a toy, and this is also dependent on how much you really want to spend, and is usually the problem with buying Intel chips. However the I7 3770K should do nicely, unless you really want to play with the big dogs and go with a Socket 2011 I7 3930K, but get prepared to spend $$$$$$$ for that. As for a case, this is something only you can really answer, what exactly do you expect from the case, how do you want it to look, and how big do you want it to be?

Exactly if you can afford it go for it, FSX needs all the CPU it can get. Now its 2013 nothing will bring FSX to its knees. Nothing, but it worth trying. Intel I7 3930k that alone cost more than mid range PC you can buy at Costco, but that just intel cartel for you.

Yea the price seems quite scary with the 3930K, I'll probably just stick to 3770K.

As with many US shops, I'm not sure it does any shipping to AUS...

Brendan Chen

So now with the updated list of hardwares, please comment on anything that's out of ordinary that I might have overlooked for a performance OC FSX machine.

Regarding PSU, WOW, are they always this expensive???

Brendan Chen

Save yourself $100 and get the I5 3570K instead, seriously

Save yourself $100 and get the I5 3570K instead, seriously

So does it mean the drop in 100 bux here go on the PSU? And I should get the more expensive version of the PSU?

Brendan Chen

So does it mean the drop in 100 bux here go on the PSU? And I should get the more expensive version of the PSU?

That means you'll get the same performance in FSX with a 3570K, a 3770K or even a $1000 3960X.

As for the PSU, they are expensive, yes, especially the modular ones, but those are great options.