Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

Complete Reinstall of FSX

I'm thinking of doing a complete reinstall of FSX and am wondering whether to reinstall the OS as well. I know with XP and earlier versions a reinstall would really clean things up and everything would be a lot faster. Does this still hold true with Win 7 64, or to a lesser degree?

I have the same experience with Win7. A complete reinstall and proper disc defrag definately will speed up performance.

Harro

b77lr_10.jpg

Harro Lippmann

I have my OS on an SSD so the defrag wouldn't be relevant but even then it might be worth it?

If You are/were installing some stuff which is not present anymore, it is worth going from the scratch.

That way You will have better organized Registry tree, more free space on HDD.

But please do a backup before, and check if it is working in case of some issues after formatting Your system drive

My installation is now somewhat old, and still, on the SSD, I see no difference to day one.

Srdan, I have changed winter tires today in one of my cars.

Until replacement, I'd say exactly the same - ' I see no difference to day one'. But... As soon as I move with a punch of power, I felt much better grip.

FatBack - You have to decide on Your own, if it is worth going from scratch. If You have plenty of tools installed to Your OS, and they all work, leave it as is. If You have only FSX, I'd go all the way.

Actually, I have cleaned up my PC after more than two Years. The speed benefit is very small (or even non-existent) but I have gained few bytes of free data on my disks.

The OS is fine now. But for the time it will take to uninstall all my FSX sceneries and aircraft and check the directories and registry to make sure but never in the back of my mind being 100% sure I can just reinstall the OS. It might not be faster but I'll feel better, for no other reason than I'll feel better. And I have a large drive on the system that I can copy my OS and FSX drives to just in case I need anything later. So after some contemplation it will be a full reinstall. If you don't hear from me in the next week please send EMS.

You could just uninstall FSX, then run CCleaner. Unless you've been using Win7 for a couple of years with lots and lots of different software I see no need to do a reinstall. The performance gain would be theoretical.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Everything is running great, and I hate to do it, but somehow I've messed up my "airport data files in FSX core file struture," as PMDG support says, and I tend to agree with them. So FSX has to go, and uninstalling all my FSX programs will take as long as a new OS install.

Yikes! Good luck. It sure is time consuming removing all those addons... There should have been an ISO standard that addon devs could comply to.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have my FSX installed on a 250GB SSD (FSX, scenery, everything). Win 7 is there too. I install everything else not related to flightsim now on my old "C" drive, which is F: now. Flightsim loads much faster. Runs better (& faster) too. Running faster probably has a lot to do with the fact that I also upgraded to an AMD Radeon 6850 and an Intel I7 3.5 GHz processor. But the huge speedup in loading must be due to the solid state drive. I just wish that I would have gotten at least a 500GB drive though, as I see that someday soon, I could be running out of space.

I would have thought that absurd back in the eighties when my Commodore Amiga was state of the art with a 40mhz Motorola 68030 processor, eight MB RAM, and an 80 MB hard drive.

SubLogic's Flight Simulator II for the Amiga was miles ahead of the IBM compatible version of flightsim.

My how times change.

I had an Amiga too lol. Earl Weaver Baseball was great. I had Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth and all the other guys and I'd edit their stats so nobody could beat me. Of course there was no internet then so nobody was me lol. That was 20 years ago and the graphics on that game could stand up today. The Sublogic Flight Simulator was good too, for its time. OMG, 20 years of flight simming?

At the time, the graphics were awesome. I had all the books by Charles Gulick. His writing style really got one into the sim, with all his adventures.

I still have all his books. Considering trying some of those adventures in today's flightsim.

Didn't have his books. I would take off from KOAK to KSFO and try to land and I never did. I didn't have the concept of how to land, but I had fun trying. Many many times. My dad was a pilot and if he could have seen me then he'd cringe lol. But hey, it was fun.

Edit: My new picture is Purple Girl after her first "solid" food.

I have heard both sides of the argument - some say when you install it should not be placed in the program files program - some say the opposite - any thoughts w/ you guys? Thanks!

I like the following guide for uninstalling/reinstalling FSX - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx. Only thing I would add is running a CCleaner after the uninstall.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10