Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Problem overclocking an AMD Phenom II X4

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965(BE) Deneb on a MSI 780G mobo. I can raise the CPU clock from default 3.4 GHz to 3.8 GHz

without problem. But if I go to 4 GHz I will encounter occasional blue screens in FSX (but not in other games it seem so far).

By monitoring the temperature I can see that it is not the problem. It goes up to max a little bit above 50 deg C (I have a hyper 212+ cooler). The voltage is listed as 1.45 V and I can't change that since menu option is grayed out.

I have the exact same CPU as you on an MSI K9N2 Sli Platinum motherboard. I can get to 4.0GHZ on air (I am using an Zalman CNPS9900ALED Cooler) however doing this also requires tweaking the voltages bit by bit until you get them right, tomshardware.com has a pretty good guide for overclocking this CPU, just not sure where it is.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

I have the exact same CPU as you on an MSI K9N2 Sli Platinum motherboard. I can get to 4.0GHZ on air (I am using an Zalman CNPS9900ALED Cooler) however doing this also requires tweaking the voltages bit by bit until you get them right, tomshardware.com has a pretty good guide for overclocking this CPU, just not sure where it is.

For some reason I can't tweak the voltage its setting is set to auto and can't be changed. I looked for that guide at tomshardware but couldn't find it. I did find many forum posts about OC this CPU and one post said that Phenoms is very heat sensitive and if they reach 52-53 deg C that will give a BSOD. If so that explains why I have problems.

are you using the stock heatsink and thermal paste?

No using a Hyper 212+ cooler and arctic silver paste. Have an extra fan on the cooler.

Interesting, I am using a Zalman CNPS9900ALED Cooler and Arctic Silver Paste, I can get my CPU up to 4.0GHz and hold a steady 48C on FSX.

Ok what about system cooling, your enclosure (case), and fans, also ambient room temperature?

If all else fails, consider going to a Corsair H100i, and it will work on many other CPU's if you decide to upgrade sooner or later, excellent design IMO.

Interesting, I am using a Zalman CNPS9900ALED Cooler and Arctic Silver Paste, I can get my CPU up to 4.0GHz and hold a steady 48C on FSX.

Ok what about system cooling, your enclosure (case), and fans, also ambient room temperature?

If all else fails, consider going to a Corsair H100i, and it will work on many other CPU's if you decide to upgrade sooner or later, excellent design IMO.

I have a

Fractal Design Define R3, Titanium

and my current room temp is 20 deg C

The Dractal Design case is quite basic in terms of aesthetics however it is known as a good performer, I think the best bet for you at this point is to invest in a Corsair H100i CPU cooler, quite honestly it looks like you have ample airflow and your ambient temperature is good. I do know that our CPU's are known for running very hot with a small thermal window. Your CPU cooler while definitely not bad seems to be the common factor in your heating issues at this point.

I know the H100i is 100 USD and is a bit pricey, however like I said earlier you can move it on to future upgrades and its really well designed, guaranteed to drop your temps a bit and keep them there. If liquid Cooling is not your thing then consider this...

Zalman CNPS12X CPU Cooler:

imageview.jpg

BE ADVISED, installing this CPU cooler is a bit of tricky work, and it is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE, be sure of your RAM and CASE clearances before purchasing, however for an Air Cooler this thing DOMINATES.

When I was using AMD Phenoms for FSX, and I used many, I could never get above 4.0, 3.9 as far as that goes and that was liquid cooling. Research and experience dictated it is just their nature. Perhaps their new CPU architecture is better.