Sign in to follow this  
brucek

SSD partition re-size question

I have a new install of Windows 8 on an SSD, where I have created a partition on the drive for the OS. I also have a second partition of the SSD that I am using for FSX. I started out with creating equal partitions of 60GB, but now realize that I will be needing more capacity in the FSX partition.

I realize I can reduce the size of the partition that the OS resides on (I would use Disk Manager in the OS to do this). But if I also want to increase the FSX partition to use the space freed up by the reduction in the OS partition, how does that work? Would I need to format the newly increased FSX partition- as I assume that would blow away my FSX files that I have already installed there. Or is it simply as easy as just decreasing one partition and increasing another?

Thanks, Bruce.

I have a new install of Windows 8 on an SSD, where I have created a partition on the drive for the OS. I also have a second partition of the SSD that I am using for FSX. I started out with creating equal partitions of 60GB, but now realize that I will be needing more capacity in the FSX partition.

I realize I can reduce the size of the partition that the OS resides on (I would use Disk Manager in the OS to do this). But if I also want to increase the FSX partition to use the space freed up by the reduction in the OS partition, how does that work? Would I need to format the newly increased FSX partition- as I assume that would blow away my FSX files that I have already installed there. Or is it simply as easy as just decreasing one partition and increasing another?

Thanks, Bruce.

You can use EASEUS Partition Master to both resize and move data around to achieve that

Not trying to stir the pot in any way, but why partition at all these days? I haven't partitioned a drive since XP and even then it didn't really do anything for me.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks daaz, much appreciated. Dave, thinking about this now, the idea of creating separate partitions on the same SSD was probably a dumb idea..... I guess old habits die hard... :)

Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Captains!

I take this topic opportunity to place my question.

I recently bought a new machine only for FSX and with only 1x 500GB SSD drive.

As Bruce said, "old habits die hard". And so I did 2 partitions. 1 for OS (130GB) and the rest for FSX.

Following Pauls' guide, I'm a bit puzzled with the pagefile setting:
do I manage it 3072-3072 only in drive C:\(OS) or in both C:\(OS) and D:\(FSX)?

I know this is kind a silly question but I only moved to FSX now! :blush: :lol:

Thanks in advance and best regards :wink:

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

IMHO partitioning a SDD is pointless and (possibly?) harmful.

spacer.png