Sign in to follow this  
BlakeWilliams

Is i7 2700K SB still the way to go?

Hi All,

Haven't been on the forums in a while a have finally decided I need a new rig and look forward to getting back into the sim world again. I see that the new Ivy Bridge cpu's need delidding on some models and I want to stay clear of this. I was looking at the i7 3930K - but dont think I need 6 cores for FSX. So my question - is the i7 2700K still the best option? I think i've got the rest of the rig ironed out - but still need some advice on cpu.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't get the 3930 for sure but....

I do think it's a tossup between the 3570/3770/2700K for FSX. I like my 2500K... but there's bigger and better now.

With Ivy bridge you can get some very fast RAM and it appears to help smooth things out somewhat in FSX. I say appears because I've got nothing scientific to back this up... just from reading these forums etc... Fast ram hasn't had as much impact with SB than it has with IB.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, doesn't the benefit of faster RAM with IB require an OC? If the Blake doesn't want to de-lid maybe in that situation a 2700k is the way to go?

I just picked up a 2700K and OC'ed to 4.8ghz with ease and nice temps. Not going to say fsx is perfect, because thats impossible, but it is an incredible improvement over my last rig (locked 2600 @ 3.4ghz)

I thought about 3770K but the idea of delidding to attain negligible performance increases over the 2700K, was a deal breaker for me.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

+1 Marc. I'm jealous.. The 2700K is a super proc.. a darned good buy..

Everybody is getting hotter and faster (sigh)... I have to talk at the Boss-Lady of the Finance Dept.... :unsure:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ryan, doesn't the benefit of faster RAM with IB require an OC? If the Blake doesn't want to de-lid maybe in that situation a 2700k is the way to go?

Not necessarily. Say he get's his IB to 4.5GHz (no delidding and with that fast 2400mhz ram). That's probably about the same as a 2700K @ 4.8-4.9.... Either way he's going to want to OC the IB. No one said you can't OC IB... just that you can't go as high clock for clock as SB....

I think if I were to buy a new system right now I'd go IB. It's newer tech for one.... and I'd want the ability to smooth gameplay out a little with the faster ram. And if I did get balsy I could de-lid and have more power than the SB cpu.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Think I'm just gonna go for the 2700K. If I get the Ivy Bridge, I know i'll be tempted the whole time to rip the sucker apart and I just dont want to do that. I've seen some pretty good results from the 2700. After all, I'm coming from a Core duo with sliders all the way to the left just make the J-41 sing at 14 fps. Think of differences!!!

The 2700K is a dandy......will scale effortlessly!

HLJAMES

Hi All,

I see that the new Ivy Bridge cpu's need delidding on some models and I want to stay clear of this.

Thanks in advance!

No, I wouldn't agree with that.

Defective CPU's, where Intel have messed up the TIM application, may "need" delidding, but a properly manufactured Ivy Bridge doesn't.

Yes, delidding provides an advantage if you wish to overclock above 4.6Ghz, but it's not compulsory to delid.

I have an i7 3770k, and seriously considered delidding, but given that my CPU is performing well at 4.5GHz, I simply don't need to delid. The extra 200 - 400 MHz just doesn't provide the performance boost for me that would make it worthwhile.

So no, don't think that if you purchased an Ivy Bridge that you would be required to delid. The extra few hundred MHz amounts to very little in terms of frame rate.

And don't forget, Ivy Bridge is a faster architecture. Older CPU's have to be overlclocked higher to match it..