Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

I give up...

After a 3 year long FSX career - or better said - 3 year fix problems with FSX career, I think I have just decided to give up on it now. In those 3 years, I've been spending more time achieving good framerates, fixing CTD's and other erros and problems, than I've actually spent flying.

Today, when I just tried to uninstall some ORBX scenery, the whole ground in FSX became black and empty. Autogen is still there, but the ground within approxomately a 2 nm radius, is completely black.

Surprisingly, there have never been any ORBX entries in Add/Remove programs (not sure if it's normal?), so I deleted the scenery via the ORBX folder. I just reloaded FSX and BAM! the whole world is black. Will I take a few days off my valuable time to reinstall all this? Not this time, cuz this was the straw that broke the camels back. I'm absolutely fed up with this game now, IT NEVER WORKS!

In 2010, when I started playing FSX, I started attempting to increase framerates, then later on, the famous UiAutomationCore.DLL CTD's appeared on my newer system. Then on another newer system API.DLL and NTDLL errors. After upgrading some hardware components these were fixed, but I got microstuttering which according to most people were normal on high-end systems, even despite the big framerates I achieve(d). Luckily, later on, the great VSync tweak got introduced by Word Not Allowed, which made my FSX 100% whenever 30 FPS is maintained as in 90% of the time.

Actually, this whole summer, I've been away from FSX for mainly playing racing sims like iRacing. It has been spoiling me so much, that I can't stand any problem in FSX anymore. At least that program can run on a consistent 60 FPS (usually 200+ FPS), and yet the graphics look fine. Since June, I haven't experienced the tiniest problem with that game and it has always been working like a charm and never had to worry about anything. iRacing, just like all other games of nowadays, can at least run completely fine without a single problem.

When I got back to FSX one month ago, I started to realise this game is doing more harm than good to my mood. When some problems started to arise again, I got frustrated, mad, and started acting it out on my parents, friends and girlfriend (not telling them I got mad over such a pathetic computer program of course).

So then I thought back about the things I had been doing on the PC last summer; simracing. And they never made me frustrated because thu always worked.

Right now, I just wish I didn't have all these stupid problems, I wish I could just fly without having to reinstall and mess with settings all the time because the thing doesn't work.

Maybe I am making this decision in the heat of the moment, but for now I am fed up with this thing and I'm saying goodbye. I just want to throw all my equipment out of the window actually. But I would do this with pain in my heart, because aviation is my biggest passion in life. And because I am medically not good enough to become a pilot, FSX is currently the only thing I can do with my passion.

Of course I also have good memories with FSX, like flying in those gorgeous PMDG planes, apart from the fact many of my flights ended in a CTD...

Hi, Arjen:

I got out of this hobby for a looooong time. In fact, before FSX my last sim was Falcon4.0, DCS Flaming Cliffs, and FS2002. I feel your pain; FSX has been ticking me off lately. BUT... I started with a fresh cfg file, applied Word Not Allowed's fixes to it, and now my flying is pain-free as of 2 nights ago. Going to do the DX10 fixes next...

I would say, take a few days off from it, and then reattack using a different angle. Best to you.

Kevin

Yeah my FSX crashes about half of the time when I start it up / choose a plane / change time & airport. I think soon I will get Acceleration and do a full reinstall and after that install only the addons I feel like I need at the moment.

I think most experienced or long time simmers can relate. However, it does seem to me that you have been going about things in a manner that results in painful experiences. For instance there have never been any orbx uninstall entries in the add/remove software control panel.

While I have had some tweaking issues that caused some loss of time...this sim is nothing like the racing games which are totally confined in space. This sim tries to recapture complex real world environments.

I always recommend:

* - have a dedicated FSX HD

1. do a base install of FSX and keep that on another drive in a safe place. This allows you do fix issues simply, compare new addons effects to base programs files and a slew of other helpful things.

2. maintain another install of FSX and use a registry utility to link it properly so that your computer doesn't know about the base copy I mention above.

3. Take your everyday FSX and make a complete clone or backup of it on a regular basis so that should anything happen to your everyday FSX you can easily restore all or parts of it from that backup.

4. Never be in a hurry to chase down the most recent tweaks and such unless you know what your doing. Always backup your terrain.cfg, scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg. I have about 10 saves of each, with each folder containing a txt file explaining what that particular backup was for.

5. Always, only install one bloody thing at at time, test it, be sure its working before moving on to another.

6. Use the forums, research, read old posts, learn the art of what works and doesn't work. Build up knowledge over time.

If my FSX blows up tomorrow, system "C" drive fails, I can be up and running again with everything working in a day. Which by the way it did last year. Never missed a beat.

I have over 500 scenery layers, 100s of aircraft, terabytes of data in my sim. It purrs.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I think most experienced or long time simmers can relate. However, it does seem to me that you have been going about things in a manner that results in painful experiences. For instance there have never been any orbx uninstall entries in the add/remove software control panel.

While I have had some tweaking issues that caused some loss of time...this sim is nothing like the racing games which are totally confined in space. This sim tries to recapture complex real world environments.

I always recommend:

* - have a dedicated FSX HD

1. do a base install of FSX and keep that on another drive in a safe place. This allows you do fix issues simply, compare new addons effects to base programs files and a slew of other helpful things.

2. maintain another install of FSX and use a registry utility to link it properly so that your computer doesn't know about the base copy I mention above.

3. Take your everyday FSX and make a complete clone or backup of it on a regular basis so that should anything happen to your everyday FSX you can easily restore all or parts of it from that backup.

4. Never be in a hurry to chase down the most recent tweaks and such unless you know what your doing. Always backup your terrain.cfg, scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg. I have about 10 saves of each, with each folder containing a txt file explaining what that particular backup was for.

5. Always, only install one bloody thing at at time, test it, be sure its working before moving on to another.

6. Use the forums, research, read old posts, learn the art of what works and doesn't work. Build up knowledge over time.

If my FSX blows up tomorrow, system "C" drive fails, I can be up and running again with everything working in a day. Which by the way it did last year. Never missed a beat.

I have over 500 scenery layers, 100s of aircraft, terabytes of data in my sim. It purrs.

So you are saying it's normal that there is no ORBX listedi n Add/Remove programs? If so, what's the correct way to uninstall it then?

Something must have occured with what I did; deleting the particular folder in the ORBX folder.

As an experienced FSX user I usually know what I'm doing and did the usual steps: put the fsx.CFG to default, copy and paste the default scenery.CFG to ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX, deleting the whole ORBX folder including anything related to ORBX inside the Scenery/World/Scenery folder.

And oh, don't underestimate racing "games", actually they are simulators just like flight simulators, and I mean really complicated simulators. Tracks are laser-scanned and nearly every bump and kerb is the same. And no this is no marketing scam, I'm a big motorsports fan and I know when a track looks accurate or not. Secondly, the physics are extremely complicated and douzens of things can be adjusted at the car. In other words, it's just as complicated at FSX, but in another way.

I am no expert and I don't have ORBX, but I suspect that ORBX REPLACES some scenery files, so when you removed ORBX files you fell into a black hole. Maybe an expert can tell you if ORBX makes a backup of the files it replaces (it should...).

And BTW, if you hae stability problems in FSX you can't solve, try Prepar3D, which is somewhat more stable.

Henri

Henri Arsenault

I am no expert and I don't have ORBX, but I suspect that ORBX REPLACES some scenery files, so when you removed ORBX files you fell into a black hole. Maybe an expert can tell you if ORBX makes a backup of the files it replaces (it should...).

And BTW, if you hae stability problems in FSX you can't solve, try Prepar3D, which is somewhat more stable.

Henri

I am suspecting these exact same things, but because I couldn't find a normal way to uninstall ORBX, I did it by deleting the ORBX folder.

P3D, I'm afraid that a few add-ons will not work? Will I still be able to fly on IVAO, will REX, OpusFSX and every scenery add-on still work fine?

And oh, don't underestimate racing "games", actually they are simulators just like flight simulators, and I mean really complicated simulators.

I think most people know that. The difference is that racing sims don't have to render terrain out to the horizon 50+ miles away, on the fly, from any random place on earth.

Unless, of course, someone's done the Cannonball. Hmmm... there's an idea... :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hi arjen. If you jsut deleted the Orbyx folder; could it still be in your recycle bin. Did you have a restor point that might help get back your textures.

Not sure, but I think before you uninstall the orbyx stuff, you need to switch back to FSX in that FTX cetral thingy.

Hopethis may help.

Best,

David

Hi arjen. If you jsut deleted the Orbyx folder; could it still be in your recycle bin. Did you have a restor point that might help get back your textures.

Not sure, but I think before you uninstall the orbyx stuff, you need to switch back to FSX in that FTX cetral thingy.

Hopethis may help.

Best,

David

I tried to delete it via FTX Central but it always gives me an error message about a network error and something wasn't found...

And no, don't have that folder anymore...

I think it's a sad comment on FSX that this forum sees a topic like this on a pretty regular basis...and yes, we can all relate! Who hasn't had a day (or seventeen) where we were ready to give up?

James

Well have fun!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Could you expand on this a little? Do you use your base install as a 'test bed' for new addons?

2. maintain another install of FSX and use a registry utility to link it properly so that your computer doesn't know about the base copy I mention above

Again, some details please.

FSX can be a struggle at times:

'When she was good she was very, very good,

And when she was bad she was horrid'

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Supporter.png

John

Hi

I'm a long time True image Home user .can't praise it enough.

had to do complete reinstalls of FSX nearly 100gb..backup and running in less than half an hour.

i have multiple saves of FSX Basic and full addons saved on a 1tb drive.also Full backup of C: which you need to have because of the FSX.cfg and other bits.

get FSX to a good state..make an image and save it takes 10 minutes,but saves hours and hours .

Don't give up Arjen

steve

Did you un-tick the ORBX folder in your scenery library settings, turn on empty scenery cache on exit, exited, shut down your computer and restarted?