Sign in to follow this  
DerStig

FSX hangs during shut down/corrupts default flight

I can reproduce this very frequently.

If you try to shut down fsx when you are in the middle of a flight (I tried disabling the HS as was discussed here, and it doesn't always work, there were times it didn't work), FSX goes into "not responding" mode in task manager. And if you kill it, sometimes it corrupts the profile (or something of that sort) so that next time you bring up FSX, it hangs as well around 278MB and never recovers. The only way to fix this is to delete all default flights in the FSX folder under documents and settings.

Try re-installing FSX.

I've never heard of anyone having to delete their default flights in the FSX docs and settings folder???

Bryan,

Asking to reinstall FSX is a bit too much for this, I have a ton of add-ons, not to mention several custom configurations, this will take me a few days:) This problem started happening right after installing FS2Crew and it is extremely easy to reproduce it (just try double clicking on the FSX icon and close the window when you are running the automatic departure briefing and 9 out of 10 times it will happen).

The shutdown hang is very frequent (if you close during any FO interaction or any sound being played), the start-up hang is not so much, of those times when there is a shutdown hang, maybe 5 out of 10 times it happens, but it does happen. I start FSX, memory climbs to 278MB, right at the same spot, FSX process icon starts blinking in task manager saying "not responding" (I am using Windows 8 64 bit). You can restart it a million times, it gets stuck in the same spot, over and over again. If you go the FSX folder in "My Documents" and delete the saved flights, next time it starts up.

My gut feeling is, during shut-down sequence of FSX, there is a thread or something running blocking the entire sequence, which does saving of some files, when that save process fails and corrupts the files, this problem happens - Let me know if you need debugging for this, I'm a programmer myself as well, will be more than happy to help.

Hi Mehmet,

Why are you double clicking on the FSX icon when FSX is already loaded?

I just ran two tests:

1. I shut down FSX in the middle of the Departure Brief by clicking the close "X" icon in the top right hand corner- No problems. FSX shutdown normally.

2. I shut down FSX in the middle of the pre-flight setup flow. Again, no problems, FSX shutdown normally.

All of our threads are shutdown properly when FSX exits.

Are you running EZDOK by chance? I had that running before and with it running FSX sometimes wouldn't shut down cleanly.

I'm at a loss though to explain your corrupt default flights issue. That's one I've never seen or heard of before.

Generally speaking, though, I recommend not using Saved Flights. They've historically been problematic with complex 3rd party addons.

I'm using Win 8 64, too.

Cheers,

Hi Mehmet,

Why are you double clicking on the FSX icon when FSX is already loaded?

I just ran two tests:

1. I shut down FSX in the middle of the Departure Brief by clicking the close "X" icon in the top right hand corner- No problems. FSX shutdown normally.

2. I shut down FSX in the middle of the pre-flight setup flow. Again, no problems, FSX shutdown normally.

All of our threads are shutdown properly when FSX exits.

Are you running EZDOK by chance? I had that running before and with it running FSX sometimes wouldn't shut down cleanly.

I'm at a loss though to explain your corrupt default flights issue. That's one I've never seen or heard of before.

Generally speaking, though, I recommend not using Saved Flights. They've historically been problematic with complex 3rd party addons.

I'm using Win 8 64, too.

Cheers,

Hi Bryan,

What I meant by double clicking is the icon of the FSX window on the top left corner (I run FSX in windowed mode) - so I do this only for closing. I am going to try to see if I can give you more info by reproducing this under different conditions. I'll try disabling my addons one by one and see what happens.

Thanks.