Sign in to follow this  
Reason

Majestic Software Dash 8 Q400

The upgrade fee was calculated based on the manual effort required to perform an upgrade.

Due to the fact, that Dash-8 will sell via numerous sales channels, it can and will happen that the sales will not be performed through the same sales channels during the entire lifecycle of the product, as new retailers will be added, and some other removed from the distribution and therefor, the cross upgrades will also be required.

Please, understand that all of these will require manual handling, which is expensive. Hence the upgrade fee.

Please also note, that the pricing is preliminary and can vary between the sales channels. For example, there might be a way for a particular distributor not charge an upgrade fee, if an upgrade is automatic. Or a smaller fee, to compensate for the money loss due to the credit card transaction tax.

regards,

fanda

• Upvote 1

Hi Fanda,

Thanks for the explaination. From my point of view I was dissapointed because I want to fly this great looking sim from day one of release when the pilot version is released. However I want to buy the pro version, and am not impressed to find out that if I buy the pilot version then upgrade to the pro version when that is released I have to cough up an extra 20 euro!

I would have thought the upgrade would be a downloadable exe file. Run that and put in a product key and you are good to go. Not 20 euro's for that.

I am more than happy to pay for your top quality product, but do not like the upgrade policy you have.

Cheers

Neil

• Upvote 1

In my opinion 20 euros upgrade fee is completely reasonable when we are talking about probably the best airliner simulation ever made for FSX.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion 20 euros upgrade fee is completely reasonable when we are talking about probably the best airliner simulation ever made for FSX.

No wrong, it's not 20 euros, it 25 euros plus a charge for upgrade 20 euros thats total of 45 euros. The problem is we can only buy the PILOT version the day it comes out and the point is that's a lot to pay for an upgrade, if the Pro version came out at the same time most would buy the Pro version that is 25 euros more not 45 euros more.

I hear what your saying Fanda but I still think for the people that want your product on day of release they should not get penalized because the PRO version will not be available on release.

Could it be an option to pay for the PRO version 75 euros on release day and then get the upgrade when available and not pay the 20 euro charge?

• Upvote 1

The solution to the upgrade seems obvious: allow people to buy the advanced version on the first day, although it is not available, then let them upgrade for free later when the advanced version comes out. If this does not cover the handling cost, then just increase the cost of the advanced version up front by say 10 euros or whatever amount is necessary. "Maniacs" will buy it anyway...

Henri

Please also note, that the pricing is preliminary and can vary between the sales channels. For example, there might be a way for a particular distributor not charge an upgrade fee, if an upgrade is automatic. Or a smaller fee, to compensate for the money loss due to the credit card transaction tax.

So does that mean that the likes of Aerosoft wouldn't have to charge the upgrade fee due to their automatic system?

Regards,

Ró.

Out of curiosity, why don't those who are complaining just sit tight like me? I'll pass on the Pilot Edition, and wait for the Pro Edition and buy that. Just because a more expensive option is available, doesn't mean you've got to buy it, remember?

Patience, anyone?

No wrong, it's not 20 euros, it 25 euros plus a charge for upgrade 20 euros thats total of 45 euros. The problem is we can only buy the PILOT version the day it comes out and the point is that's a lot to pay for an upgrade, if the Pro version came out at the same time most would buy the Pro version that is 25 euros more not 45 euros more.

I hear what your saying Fanda but I still think for the people that want your product on day of release they should not get penalized because the PRO version will not be available on release.

Could it be an option to pay for the PRO version 75 euros on release day and then get the upgrade when available and not pay the 20 euro charge?

We will think about this, thank you for the suggestion.

The database will be from Navigraph, and can be upgraded from there

The shared cockpit will use our own implementation, it will not be an FSX shared cockpit

We obviously can't comment on the aerosoft upgrade policies

best regards,

fanda

Excellent news! Can't wait to see what magic you guys come up with. Release within the next few weeks? :)

Out of curiosity, why don't those who are complaining just sit tight like me? I'll pass on the Pilot Edition, and wait for the Pro Edition and buy that. Just because a more expensive option is available, doesn't mean you've got to buy it, remember?

Patience, anyone?

Yup this is my plan.

Patience, anyone?

Very well said!!

Oh c'mon, this "dumbed down" attitude is soooo lame.

FSX experience has taught me that these "dumbed down" planes, the so called "easy", finally end up being the most difficult.

Why?

Because they are like "plastic toys":

- full of bugs

- missing essential features

Examples:

- Aerosoft Airbus X (no FMC at all)

- Aerosoft Airbus X Extended:

----> no LNAV when radial interception is involved

----> incorrectly calculated ToD

----> no custom waypoints when there are multiple fixes with the same name

- QW 757 (no custom waypoints)

AS much as I would like to be flying this from day one, I too will await the release of the Pro version before buying. I see it as damaging, in particular to image, to charge an upgrade fee on top of the actual difference between the two products. €20 as an administration fee for a product costing "only" €75 is a massive charge in terms of percentage, you're looking at around a 30% surcharge to upgrade. Given that it seems at least a number of users would like to be able to use the Q400 from release but would like to purchase the PRO ultimately, or even the TRAINING edition, might it not be more expedient to allow users to purchase the respective version from the outset, which would automatically allow the use of a lesser version up until the point in time at which the actual purchased version becomes available?

IE a licence key that is valid for PILOT/PRO/TRAINING, if the TRAINING version was purchased, a key valid for PILOT/PRO if PRO purchased, and PILOT only if the PILOT version purchased? I am sure that this is possible, as I have seen it many times in commercial software at work, perhaps via some form of online activation and fingerprinting... Of course, it is a question of the cost...

Though, if it remains as it is, then I will just sit it out like all of you others and wait for the PRO version to hit the virtual shelves...

Majestic will have to wait for my money, their disadvantage... :) though, they will get it at SOME point... they decide when ultimately, so the ball is now in their court.

With respect to the propellers, I see no reason to change anything even if there were the time or opportunity. The sounds are spot on, the animations look good (my last 4 flights in a Q400 were in the seats just in front of the blades disc, so I got to see the appearance pretty close up for 4 entire flights and I think Majestic have done a great job at rendering the props), just thought I would add that...A

• Upvote 1

we should call the upgrade fee "the impatience fee" :)

Buying a ticket for several versions from the day one is a good idea but it has a serious drawback. The users who bought PRO and TRAINING will pressure us, the developpers, to accelerate the release of these versions. This WILL happen without any doubt. Now that nobody gave us a penny, the pressure is already very high. Imagine how it will be when hundreds or thousands of users having paid their money will be waiting for the new release!

Well if they take that on board you wont have to wait will you!

Thank you Fanda for listening and taking the idea on board.

The users who bought PRO and TRAINING will pressure us, the developpers, to accelerate the release of these versions. This WILL happen without any doubt.

Yes they will but they will have the PILOT version to keep them happy :biggrin: we have waited 3 years :P :smile:

FSX experience has taught me that these "dumbed down" planes, the so called "easy", finally end up being the most difficult.

Why?

- full of bugs

Examples:

And when it rains, there are no raindrops on the windshields.

You know, this discussion is so academic. Some people, like me, like to fly without too much effort. Some people like to simulate to the max. I couldn't care less about missing custom waypoints, for you, it's a nuisance.

All I wanted to know was if I can start the Dash-8 with CTR-E. In the meantime, I am sorry I ever did ask, because I got treated like an idiot.

Thank you very much.

Well after the Fokker 70/100 farce I for one am never paying for an unfinished product again. Not comparing Majestic with Digital Aviation, it's still a principle to remember.

That said, the cheapo version might be good enough for me. Don't need a 2D panel.

Am I the only one here who wants a fully functioning FMS but couldn't really care less about shared cockpit, failure models and modelled individual circuit breakers?

Why?

- full of bugs

Examples:

Yeah sure, but more than likely Majestic Dash 8 Pilot edition will be already one of the most advanced simulations ever, in the same class with 737NGX and at least one way even better. (flight modeling).

The database will be from Navigraph, and can be upgraded from there

The shared cockpit will use our own implementation, it will not be an FSX shared cockpit

We obviously can't comment on the aerosoft upgrade policies

best regards,

fanda

Hello Fanda,

Just to through my valuable (yeah!) two cents in this pot, I would agree to an option to pay the full Pro version cost from the start, in order to get the "Pilot" version when it is released, then get the "Pro" version as an upgrade when it is available.

You may even want to just make this an option if the product is purchased from your web store an Majestic.

I purchased my "Pilot" version of your Q300 at Simmarket, then when I realized that you are selling them at your web shop, I purchased the "Pro" version and other upgrades there.

I know you do better when people buy the product from direct from you.

I appreciate the comments, but this time we will not be selling direct. It is our goal to concentrate on the development, and leave the sales to the certified distributors. The cost of maintaining the shop and the transaction fees are too high when selling a single product

The licensing however will be handled by Majestic, which means we will have instant information about every purchase.

regards,

fanda

Thanks again for your input! I too, like others, hope we could pay for a PRO version up front, and then upgrade when the time comes. If not, I will simply wait for the Pro version to be released. Either way, you're getting my money! :P