Sign in to follow this  
tanker

Weather Program for FSX

Now that I have my PC working well with FSX (thanks, Word Not Allowed), I would like to improve the weather over the FSX default options. I have looked at Activesky 2012, but I am concerned that the included textures will somehow interfere with the GEX textures (I also have UTX installed). I would like to have improved cloud textures, but not at the expense of a heavy fps hit. Anyone have AS2012 + GEX + UTX? Or is there another weather program I should consider?

Dale

Weather programs and textures from them will not interfere with UTX or GEX they're completely different.

I recommend OPUS as a wether addon and REX for textures.

However there are some high quality freeware cloud,sky, water textures etc.

There's also FEX from flight 1 I believe.

OPUS us the simplest to use, and has the most realistic weather.

Lee

I am using all three with nearly the same hardware setup as yours and have experienced not problem whatsoever. I personally like AS2012 for weather and am using their textures,

Richard

Before you choose a weather engine, research them all and determine which one has the feature set you prefer. Opus has lots of camera options, AS2012 has a weather map and lots of good textures. The three main weather programs all give similar cloud depictions and are equally accurate, but vary in interpolation of weather between stations.

If you go with AS2012, get the latest beta for some improved cloud textures. The beta seems to be quite stable.

The textures available in AS2012 can be installed individually; for example you can install just the cloud textures if you wish. There are also water textures (you can recolor these if you wish from within AS2012), runway and taxiway textures, sun and moon, and probably others I've forgotten.

No matter which weather program you choose, a registered copy of FSUIPC4 will help with weather smoothing, and has a lot of additional features besides.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Opus, hands down. Try it for free and once you do you'll be hooked. It's awesome. Post closed lol.

AS2012 without question. Configurable for your type of flying with a single click - low and slow with lots of eye candy or high and fast with accurate temps, winds. or something in the middle. Graphics are in the eye of the beholder but I prefer AS2012 to any other. On MY system, less frame hit and better looking.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There seems to be some sort of consensus emerging that the highest Rez 4096 textures aren't necessary and lower Rez actually looks better. As others have said, there no problem with texture conflict with the program's you mention.

Secondly, AS2012 has great textures and a good weather engine, but the best weather engine IMHO Is OpusFSX so far as the most realistic weather representation goes ... And it works perfectly with whatever textures you have installed. I use it with free textures!

SkipperMac

For the benefit of the OP, here is an excellent review of Opus here

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/js/opus/opus.htm

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Worth commenting, of course, that OpusfSX is in constant development and therefore many improvements have been made since the review was written.

Opps, forgot to mention that. Thanks.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I would say REX Essentials has matured into a great weather engine this last 6 months. Its on a par with any of the other engines mentioned above. With the introduction of new upper level data this past week its even better than previous versions.

They have a very active forum and support is second to none.

I may be bias being a beta tester for them but trust me, I`ve owned and tried them all and I`m sticking with Essentials from now on. It creates the most amazing atmospheres and the Metar depiction is first class.

Cheers Doogie

Rexe with me all in one package, now with the latest updates its even better

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Rex is a brilliant program, i have been with Rex since i started flight sim and i wouldnt go any better. Rex has giving my flightsim a whole new drive to fly it's not FSX without it. the HD Textures are just magnificent. now with them going public beta i would say that's a smart move so that the public and join in the fun of new features and updates. and for them to participate in beta. I know a few of my fellow flight sim friends who've had rex and went to try something different but they all came back to rex. Support for rex is very quick i know my self as i have a had a few issues in the past but got sorted pretty quickly. REX all the way guys i'm loving every minute of flying!

Thanks for all the input. I looked at OPUS and I must say some of the screen shots are impressive, especially low hanging clouds or fog in hilly areas. AS2012 may do this also, but I didn't see any examples. I do a lot of flying in the early morning hours, where mists and low clouds are common.

I get the impression that if I go with REX, I don't need GEX? I've also read that some users are running REX and AS2012, but if REX has it own weather, why add another program?

I've read very few negatives about any of these programs. They all sound like they are being updated regularly and offer decent support. I just need to choose one and get out the credit card.

Dale