Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

Changing GTX480 with GTX690 - best practice

I am embarrassed to say that I have had a brand new Asus GTX680 DirectCU II TOP layin' around for months... My rig actually works so well that I did not have the guts to rip it all apart.

But there has to be a limit even to my stupidity, so this weekend it is going in, and my rig will be scrutinized for dust and cleaned in the process.

I have no problem doing the switch with regards to the work that has to be done with the hardware, but I would appreciate if someone could direct me to the safest and the best way to do the switch with regards to drivers, running as std VGA before turning off with the 480 for the last time and so on.

The 480 is also a Asus card and my MOBO is an Asus Rampage of some sort. My specs are on the left and are not visible to be as I am on Tapatalk for the moment.

Thanks guys, appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Morten

Edit: Moderators, it is a typo in my heading. GTX680 is the correct card. Sry...

23.png

Hi Morten,

No big deal. This is how I would do things:

1 uninstall the Nvidia driver by using the Windows programs uninstall facility in control panel

2 run driver sweep or similar in safe mode

3 fit new graphics card

4 Start Windows and install the latest driver

Some will argue that if you are using Win 7 then it's not necessary to run a driver clean app, but as I said, this is how I would do things.

Cheers

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The newer drivers have a clean install feature so the driver sweep would be redundant BUT it does no harm.

Actually the drivers for the 480 and the 680 could be identical unless you are using an old one. Just shut down, install the 680 - reboot and adjust form there. You can always uninstall and reinstall a driver if you want to upgrade,but sometimes the latest and greatest show no improvement.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have replaced GTX580 with GTX680 about a month ago - simply by turning off the PC and replacing the cards. Nothing more was done and it worked.

Cool. Can I have it? :lol:

Ahhh, too bad!

I'd say that even reinstalling driver is totally futile. As the first step, I would upgrade to latest driver, shut off, put the card in, boot, wait for the card to install itself, reboot again, configure NI and go flyin!

:) :) Thanks BartEnder and Word Not Allowed!

23.png