Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Mik75

Table/chair to improve sim experience

Hi there!

I would like to buy a combined table/chair combination for my FSX flight simming. It should hold my pedals, the G940, the keyboard/mouse and up to three (24") monitors. The chair itself should be of a nice quality and the Buttkicker Gamer set should be mountable without problems. Plus, everything mentioned above should be available in Germany and the price shouldn't be too high.

On the web, I discovered the Volair Sim chair, it offers everything I look for at an acceptable price. Only downside is, that they don't deliver to Germany.

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was originally going to purchase the Volair Sim, however ended up with the Obutto R3Volution as it was more flexible with respect to options and re-configuring on the fly (for my purposes) than the Volair.

http://www.obutto.co...puter_desk.html

Their EU sales are conducted through:

http://www.obutto.eu/

Not sure if it falls within your budget, however it does meet all your needs. It's also replaced my desk, and is not only my sim "pit", but also my computer workstation/desk.

Here is my current configuration.

rig-small.jpg

I'm currently doing a slight modification to accommodate my Warthog Joystick (not a necessary mod, just aesthetics . However, adding a joystick (as either center stick or side stick) is insanely easy with this chair. Here's a pic of someone using the X52 as a center stick. You can see to the right the little platform if you wanted to mount it side stick (that platform is completely removable/adjustable as well).

pict0191i.jpg

Hope you find what you're looking for.

I was originally going to purchase the Volair Sim, however ended up with the Obutto R3Volution as it was more flexible with respect to options and re-configuring on the fly (for my purposes) than the Volair.

Not sure if it falls within your budget, however it does meet all your needs. It's also replaced my desk, and is not only my sim "pit", but also my computer workstation/desk.

Here is my current configuration.

rig-small.jpg

I'm currently doing a slight modification to accommodate my Warthog Joystick (not a necessary mod, just aesthetics . However, adding a joystick (as either center stick or side stick) is insanely easy with this chair. Here's a pic of someone using the X52 as a center stick. You can see to the right the little platform if you wanted to mount it side stick (that platform is completely removable/adjustable as well).

pict0191i.jpg

Hope you find what you're looking for.

+1 on the Obutto. Works perfect for my small simpit and wife lets me keep that one in the bar vs the large 737 in the garage.

Also use it for FPS and general work, have a racing setup for it as well

photo32.jpg

photo8888.jpg

That looks fantastic guys! Thank you very much for the hint! Even though the price is quite high, I'll take a deeper look at it, as it seems to fit my needs perfectly!

Check out

That looks fantastic guys! Thank you very much for the hint! Even though the price is quite high, I'll take a deeper look at it, as it seems to fit my needs perfectly!

Check out some simming forums like simHQ.com. I see used ones pop up now and then, and not always in the states, quite a few in Europe.

Did you have to buy any accessories to fit the 4th screen and throttles?

Would it fit Saitek pedals and yoke?

Did you have to buy any accessories to fit the 4th screen and throttles?

Would it fit Saitek pedals and yoke?

4th monitor: I purchased the tabletops as an accessory. I removed the left acrylic tabletop, and used the swing arm to mount the 4th (lower left) monitor. The tabletop mounts to the arm via a standard VESA mount pattern, making swapping it out with a monitor a breeze. I kept the right table top (it's what the emuteq GNS530 is sitting on in the picture).

Throttles: If you're referring to the PFC throttle quadrant in my picture, no, I didn't need another accessory for that. I'm using the stick shift mount (which comes with the base R3volution chair). This mount can be seen in the second picture of someone using the X52. The stick shift mount is the empty mount on the right side of the chair. Note though that the throttle quadrant isn't just sitting on the platform, I've actually drilled holes in the PFC quadrant (and yoke) housings to bolt them to the mount.

Rudder Pedals: Yes, they will fit Saitek Rudder Pedals. If you want, the adjustable foot rest platform is pre-drilled so that you can bolt down your rudder pedals if you want.

I'll have some more pictures in a week or so with the different configurations I use with the chair (to show the high degree of flexibility).

Hope this answers your questions.

Cool thanks very much. Is the chair quite comfy? So one could potentially have 6 screens, with three replacing the tabletops? I cant wait for the pics!

Cool thanks very much. Is the chair quite comfy? So one could potentially have 6 screens, with three replacing the tabletops? I cant wait for the pics!

The chair is essentially an aftermarket car seat, made for Obutto (back even inclines like a car seat). It is incredibly comfortable with one note. Most people (including myself) note that the sides of the bucket seat are a bit stiff and can be uncomfortable at first. I think this is a function of the foam used within the seat. However, after a week or 2 of use, it becomes much more pliable and comfy. I've actually fallen asleep in it quite easily (might have had something to do with the bottle of wine, but never fell asleep in my old desk chair before). :)

You could theoretically have 6 screens. You would replace the 2 tabletops (the tabletop accessory is only left and right tops) with monitors, and you'd put the lower center monitor on the same mount your yoke would normally go (the yoke mount is pre-drilled for all major racing wheels, yokes, and will allow VESA monitor mounting). Unfortunately this means you will lose the ability to have a center yoke. If you're using a joystick, no problem. Here is a picture of someone using the the center yoke mount to hold a monitor (note the tabletops which are installed and in place).

heliossoftwarecopy.png

One thing to note, if you're going to use 6-monitors. If you're thinking of trying to setup some insane 2x3 eyefinity setup (running like 5760*2160), you'd have to fabricate some VESA offset plates/mounts in order to raise the lower monitors to the upper monitors (you can see how low the center monitor is in the pic from the monitor above it).

I'll get some pictures up in a week or so. Need to finish cutting some metal, then will grab some pictures next weekend.

Cheers,

Fasttrackracing also makes custom mounts for large format TVs and other bolt on pieces for the Obutto should you need something not stock...

Here are some pics I took today. (Click on images for full size)

FPS/Gaming/Workstation Configuration:

FPS-Small.jpg

DCS Setup:

DCS-Small.jpg

FlightSim Setup:

FS-Small.jpg

The absolute beauty of the Obutto R3volution's design is it's flexibility and configuration options. To switch between any of the above configurations takes between 3 or 4 minutes. Simply unplug some USB cables and loosen a knob or two.

Hope this answers your questions and shows you the configuration options.

Thanks for the pics, an awesome setup! Do you have to screw in your yoke?

Thanks for the pics, an awesome setup! Do you have to screw in your yoke?

Thanks..

Here are some pics of the process when I want to shift to yoke/throttle. Note it actually took more time to take the pictures than to make the switch.

This is the underside of the PFC throttles. I drilled holes in the chair stick shift and the throttle case in order to bolt them.

convert1-small.jpg

To install the throttles, simply drop them into the empty spot seen below and tighten the knob to keep it from moving side to side.

convert2-small.jpg

This is the steering wheel mount that comes with the chair. It's pre-drilled with a bunch of different configurations for existing racing wheels on the market (as well as a VESA mount if you want to use it for center lower monitor). I drilled holes in the PFC yoke casing to bolt it place.

convert4-small.jpg

The wheel mount / yoke slides into the center opening shown here.

convert5-small.jpg

If you're going to leave it pemanently installed, you can use the center mount as a cable run as well (plenty of space). Simply slide the wheel/yoke mount down.

convert6-small.jpg

And tighten the knob underneath to keep it from moving around.

convert7-small.jpg

Once done, plug in any USB cables and away you go. Literally takes 2-3 minutes, if that.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation and pics :D

Hope that answers your question.

A few more questions if I may?

Do you find the seating position too low? it looks a bit disconcerting being low to the floor!

How high is the chair? I have a GF flight deck console which is 18" high. Will i be able to reach the throttles?

A few more questions if I may?

Do you find the seating position too low? it looks a bit disconcerting being low to the floor!

How high is the chair? I have a GF flight deck console which is 18" high. Will i be able to reach the throttles?

No problem...

The seat is quite low, I'd estimate around 1 ft above the ground. I actually added a couple pieces of a 2x4 to raise the seat (you can see the wood a little bit in the pictures), bringing my chair to ~ 16 inches off the ground.

However, I think with an 18" high throttle quadrant, it would be awkward with that chair out of the box (without modification). Give me a couple weeks and I can get you precise measurements (unless another Obutto owner here can provide them). Entire chair is disassembled as I'm getting ready to move (and going through flightsim withdrawals)...

No problem...

The seat is quite low, I'd estimate around 1 ft above the ground. I actually added a couple pieces of a 2x4 to raise the seat (you can see the wood a little bit in the pictures), bringing my chair to ~ 16 inches off the ground.

However, I think with an 18" high throttle quadrant, it would be awkward with that chair out of the box (without modification). Give me a couple weeks and I can get you precise measurements (unless another Obutto owner here can provide them). Entire chair is disassembled as I'm getting ready to move (and going through flightsim withdrawals)...

Thanks for your reply. Would increasing the height of the chair put everything out of sync? ie the pedals and screens would have to be height adjusted to i guess?

According to this pic it looks like the bottom of the chair is 18cm?

r3v_dimensions.jpg

The screens can be raised already. There are three height settings, and in the above picture, they are on the lowest setting. I don't notice much of a change with regards to the pedals.

Again, I'd need to get chair reassembled to give you accurate measurements. However, looking at the picture and a tape measure, the 18cm is the height of the frame on which the chair rails sit. So, add another ~16-20 cm for chair frame/padding.

Sorry I can't give you more detailed info, as I said, everything is broken down for the move.

The screens can be raised already. There are three height settings, and in the above picture, they are on the lowest setting. I don't notice much of a change with regards to the pedals.

Again, I'd need to get chair reassembled to give you accurate measurements. However, looking at the picture and a tape measure, the 18cm is the height of the frame on which the chair rails sit. So, add another ~16-20 cm for chair frame/padding.

Sorry I can't give you more detailed info, as I said, everything is broken down for the move.

No worris thanks very much for you help and good luck with the move :biggrin: