Sign in to follow this  
veefour8

please help with video card issue and system spec ?

Hi all

Im new to the site but so far are so pleaseed with how helpful you all are !

I need some help though, my wife is the real flight 'simmer', our spare room has been transferred to a cockpit with 3 x 32" screens and an assortment of instruments/yokes, and she can spend hours flying. I do get involved and do enjoy flying around.

I often make my wife jealous remembering how we used to watch aircraft taking off and landing from our house as a child as my dad was in the RAF,seeing Nimrods, Hunters, Jag's, Shackletons Etc taking off whilst having breakfast was normal to me.

Anyway, My wife bought a Dell desktop specifically for FSX but has constant battles with set up for FSX, keep having to restore things, crashing from time to time and generally getting very stressed as we have no one to turn to when it comes to FSX.

The specifications of her set up is as follows :

Dell studio XPS INTEL core i7 860 @2.80ghz

PSU changed to a 650w Corsair from the inbuilt 350w PSU which was rubbish

NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 graphics card (1GB)

There are 2 x 1TB hard drives (ST31000528AS ATA) one has the OS on it but we don't have any Win7 discs.. and FSX and all of the add ons are on the 2nd hard drive.

The details on the processor itself show it to be a DH57M01 REVA00. The other details are YD0213(E1)

DP/N 0T568R CN-0T56R-73604-01A-0216A00

There isnt any other cooling in the case apart from the standard cooling fan

We are running 3 x 32" screens via Matrox Triple Head to Go

My system should be more than enought to cope with it but seems to be struggling particularly with the scenery add ons (ORBX, Photo realistic, FS Global etc.)

The time has come now for me to treat my wife and spend some money so I can see her enjoying the flight sim rather than constantly stressing as sometimes its very 'jerky' or the scenery isnt 'flowing' as it should do.

Can someone please help and suggest what I can do ? I contacted a computer shop and all they recomended me to do is spend £300 od a Nvidea 670 2 gb graphics card but Ive read some places that we should look a SSD hard drive, higher PSU or higher cooling and a Nvidea 660 ti graphics card ???

Very confusing, please can anyone point us in the right direction ???

Many thanks

"My system should be more than enough to cope with it but seems to be struggling particularly with the scenery add ons (ORBX, Photo realistic, FS Global etc.)"

Hi V4: Welcome to the real sim world! Also to your wife. I won't say much, as there are lots of folks her who are going to dive in with some stellar advice. (that you should read and listen to).

I'll start the ball rolling, though, with this: Your existing system is nowhere near strong enough to give you or your wife the experience which you're expecting: I like the three monitors and TH2Go - this is what I use too, but with 19" monitors. My strong suggestion is for you to build it yourself, or have someone - good with a screwdriver - who will obey your orders based upon our suggestions here - and build it for you!!! ...and unless he is a long-time FSX simmer - don't let his suggestions influence you.

Be prepared for a new:-

Motherboard

CPU

CPU cooling system

Nvidia GTX GPU

8 - 12 - 16 gig of fast ram,

800w+ power supply

Big case - lotsa 120 mm fans.

All the Best!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply, yes we know that this PC being 3 years old and only a 2.8ghz processors is needing some updating, any thoughts on SSD drives ?

In your opinion, would there be any benefit from having OS and FSX on an SSD or would OS go on a standard drive with FSX and add ons going on the SSD ?

Many thanks again !

Bottom line: you need a near whole new PC.

Search the hardware forum a bit, there are TONS of threads with recommend new pc setups.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398016-avsim-software-and-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Most important thing people trying to help will want to know is how much money are you willing to spend on this new system?

Hiya,

thanks for your reply, was thinking about £8-900'ish

Does that sound about fair to use FSX happily ?

Motherboard = ?

i5-2500K = ?

8gig ram = ?

GTX560Ti = ? (or 660Ti)

Cooling = ?

All that = :wub: :friends: :Angel:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Well 850 pounds to dollars is $1342.49. That should easily buy a very powerful PC.

To get you started, here is an example of a very nice PC. You shouldn't need all the parts so ending cost will be lower.

Hiya

Many tbhanks for your advice.

I am thinking on the following ......

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile High Performance CPU Cooler, Intel LGA2011,1155,1156,1366,775 and AMD FM1,AM3+/AM3/2+/2

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

WE already have 2 x 7200rpm TB hard drives and was thinking of getting a SSD for FSX AND ADDONS, 256gb ?

we already have decent dvd drives and are running 3 x 32" lcd TV's on a Matrix triple head to go

was thinking of going for the Nvidia GTX 660but wanted to ask about a case ??

Didnt really want to spend anymore than about £90 on one but the MRS said that we cant just go and buy any case, all this has to fit in one perfect so Im a but lost when it comes to a case and theres millions out there ???

Any advise on this set up or a case would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks again.

If you can find a copy of the most recent Custom PC magazine they do a budget case test which could be suitable.

If you're using a 3 screen set up and want to move to nVidia the minimum really is a GTX670.

JJ

Jason Jackett

Hiya

Many tbhanks for your advice.

I am thinking on the following ......

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile High Performance CPU Cooler, Intel LGA2011,1155,1156,1366,775 and AMD FM1,AM3+/AM3/2+/2

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

WE already have 2 x 7200rpm TB hard drives and was thinking of getting a SSD for FSX AND ADDONS, 256gb ?

we already have decent dvd drives and are running 3 x 32" lcd TV's on a Matrix triple head to go

was thinking of going for the Nvidia GTX 660but wanted to ask about a case ??

Didnt really want to spend anymore than about £90 on one but the MRS said that we cant just go and buy any case, all this has to fit in one perfect so Im a but lost when it comes to a case and theres millions out there ???

Any advise on this set up or a case would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks again.

I have this case, and find it to be very good, and it is not that expensive.

http://www.ncix.com/...re=COOLERMASTER

Found a link for it in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-Plus-Case/dp/B003XEDTLM

Bill

I just upgraded my rig and it is performing fine:

"Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H" $148

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K $219

Just over $367

Add some memory if you need it, add a Corsair H50 cooler for $70 a video card and your done..

I simply used the gigabit overclock utility pushed the button for 4GHz overclock and never looked back..

Fly on the cheap :-)

Hiya

Just to give you an update -

Now have a Predator areo case

I7 3770k ivy bridge processor

Nvidea GTX660TI

128gb SSD for windows 7

1TB for FSX and everything else

160GB for storage

Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series TX 850W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

Cooler Master Hyper 412s Tower Cooler for CPU

Have installed new windows 7 and Kaspersky.

afetr 10 hours of installing, things just wernt running right and Kaspersky wasnt working right either, eventually we got rid of Kaspersky and put AVG on.

Another 10 hours today of putting things on, FSX, Acceleration, Matrox triple head to go ETC. Wife has just come downstairs complaining of a crash and blue screen !

Really feel like Im banging my head against a brick wall, though we had got rid of problems before with buying all this new computer to the sort od spec everyone was advising ?!?!

Have I got to expect this sort of trouble with FSX ? Can I ever look forward to trouble free flying on FSX ?

Any help would be really appreciated ?

Many thanks