Sign in to follow this  
ivo09

Cloud Flashing with DX10

I cant seem to get rid of this annoying cloud flashing in DX10 Preview. This happens when their is rain or snow and overcast skies. As soon as I take off and start flying through some clouds, I get a flashing almost like there is lighting... This doesn't happen in DX9 but I prefer to use DX10 since I get almost 35% increase in FPS over DX9. I have tried the SwarmCloud tweak but that has not helped me. Anyone else have suggestions or tweaks. I run every slider maxed except cloud draw which is set to 110 miles.

Hardware:

I5 3570K @4.4

Gigabyte GTX670

8GB 1866 CL9

Please help me!

Regards,

Ivo

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sounds like HIGHMEMFIX=1 is missing from the [GRAPHICS] section, Ivo. The other possibility is that you may have BufferPools = 0, and that will need water = 6.

Let us know if this fixes it!

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

@ Paul

I have the HIGHMEMFIX=1 in my cfg. I used to have BufferPools=0 but after reading some other discussions I reverted back to the MS default setting and that seems to have taken care of the flashing clouds for now. Is the bufferpools setting for weaker graphics cards or how exactly does it work, I am a little confused.

@ Bryan

Thanks but I have already tried that and it didn't help.

While it seems like I got rid of the flashing clouds by changing the bufferpools to default, I now have another problem. When flying low over water, I get random flashing squares, almost like the texture is missing. This is an image I captured:

anomoly.jpg

It will flash for literally 1 second and then disappear. Water will be fine and a couple of seconds later it will happen again. It seems to happen more frequently when I pan but it happens all the time meaning 2D, VC, external.

Note: This only happens over water and not over land. Water settings are at max 2.0

Thank you! :)

Install patch 3.2.2 bonus pack.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I tried installing shader 3.2.2/bonus/water v1.00 and I still get the flashing over water.

Blue, black or white?

Im sorry I don't understand what you are asking me with blue black or white. I just get a square that has no texture and says FSX in it that flashes over water textures for a split seconds and disappears. It looks exactly like the photo I posted. Its not always a square too, it comes in different shapes but you get the idea.

Ivo, if what I understand from reading here in the DX10 forum and what I have also seen on my sim is correct, then installing the 3.2.2 shader fix should have replaced what you are seeing (missing textures) with a black background not the default FSX logo & blue background that you see.

Did you actually install the shader fix 3.2.2 itself? Or just the bonus water file?

Sounds to me like the install of the 3.2.2 shader fix did not go as intended. And that is where the default background (dark color) replacement file is. Just installing the water bonus will not stop the in-flight FSX advertisement. Once again if I understand correctly. I'm new here and a fairly recent DX10 convert. Please correct me anyone if I am wrong on this. I have no desire to spread disinformation.

I've got to say that with the smoothness of the display and the controls, vis-a-vis DX10V3.2.2, the simulator experience for me has been truly re-awakened. I am learning more and more, day by day, that frames per second is just a number and the smoothness is what really makes a difference (for me anyway). I might see an autogen tree or building pop up as I fly by, but there is no disruption in the smoothness. In DX9 a new building or tree meant a stutter seemingly without exception. To me that is the single biggest difference.

I stand corrected! It also happens on land but only very close to water. I have not seen it on the mainland. These are from a set of around 100 screenshots I took in consecutive order. These are the ones plagued by the issue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And Im pretty sure I installed the shaders the right way. I installed the dowork.vbs and let it delete my shader folders. It this not how to install properly? I think thats what the instructions said.

If you have V3.2.2 installed correctly then those squares should be black......I think. I defer to those who post here and have more experience in this.....but I feel fairly confident in saying that it looks to me like a botched 3.2.2 installation.

I stand corrected! It also happens on land but only very close to water. I have not seen it on the mainland. These are from a set of around 100 screenshots I took in consecutive order. These are the ones plagued by the issue.

image.jpg

And Im pretty sure I installed the shaders the right way. I installed the dowork.vbs and let it delete my shader folders. It this not how to install properly? I think thats what the instructions said.

I suspect that, although you may have installed the shaders, you have not yet read or applied any of the fixes in the "How to" document.

Among other topics,there is a fix for those squares, the blue FSX texture and a recommendation that you limit the framerate to 30.

It's actually the dark background texture that is not installed. Both ShakeyStick and ncooper are correct - you need to begin again, reading every piece of the How-To doc, as almost everything there has been a discovery by the members here, and is important for you to be successful.