Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Window Opens During Takeoff!

Very interesting to see what the correct procedure is. Pretty cool to see how different Boeing (twin jet) cockpit windows operate too ;)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Agree, great video. I guess I wouldn't have done it right, my first thought was that they're gonna abort the TO, close the window and try again, but after watching this it actually makes sense to continue the procedure.

And, yeah, I didn't think that there are such differences in window operation between the single types. I thought they'd all operate about the same way

It is actually in one of Mike Rays check ride manuals that if the window pops open continue with the TO.

if the window pops open continue with the TO.

But what if its raining??? :P Just kidding.

But seriously, I didn't know you could stick your head out of the window of a 777 in flight. I would have thought you'd get severe wind burn or something similar. Oh, you've gotta love the engineers at Boeing ;)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Well, I guess it is good that the window opened during takeoff instead of during pressurized cruise. . . . Interesting video!

Well, I guess it is good that the window opened during takeoff instead of during pressurized cruise. . . . Interesting video!

Shouldn't it actually be impossible for the window to open during pressurized cruise? I mean the pressure inside would be higher than outside, so the window would be even more pressed into the "closed" position, wouldn't it?

Shouldn't it actually be impossible for the window to open during pressurized cruise? I mean the pressure inside would be higher than outside, so the window would be even more pressed into the "closed" position, wouldn't it?

You would be correct. I would think even a few pounds of pressure diff would make it impossible. But this scenario of the cockpit window popping open on take off is covered in Mike Rays checkride manual (and an excellent read fo simmers too).

I recall reading in Buzz Aldrins book that he wedged something in the door of the LM when he stepped out, in case the LM started to pressureize. If it did due to some malfunction they would be locked out.

Probably why doors in Star Trek simply slide out of the way. :P

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Good point. Oh well—an opening window during takeoff is still better than an explosively decompressing or punctured window during cruise!

Wow..........

When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed it was about a program opening a window while you where flying in FSX!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5