Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Orbx remarks about X-Plane

I don't this would change his mind much, He has a lot invested in Prepar3D to say anything good about X-Plane.

Proving J.V. wrong will be voluptuary.

Murmur, I liked your comment because voluptuary  is a difficult word to read for a Wednesday workday. I have no idea what it means but it sounds interesting enough for me to want to look it up.

Actually it sounds like you're describing a rubenesque painting ... or a centerfold.

The EDIT .. hehe .. just looked it up.

Well...I can't say I am surprised at John Venema's comment about X-plane. His thoughts on the subject are very well known. He's made it perfectly clear what he thinks about X-plane. It's not much different to the article he did for Aerosoft awhile back:

http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=6320

John Venema: "X-Plane has no future. It’s not a good sim, nor does it have a large enough customer base to make it worth our while. It performs really poorly on hardware with settings maxxed out, unlike FSX which now screams along with new Intel and nVidia hardware."

I'd love to know what John's computer specs are. I'm building a new computer soon (that is if the wife gives in) and would like to know how I can get my copy of FSX to "scream" along like his does.

P3D 2.0 sounds interesting though.

I wouldn't even listen to John Venema, as he's a self centered ignorant, and he doesn't even take his own product support seriously, or doesn't care. I bought their product (orbx England), it was ridded with bugs, and problems, and he wouldn't even acknowledge this, and his only support given to me was, disable all realism options in the FSX, and wait patiently few months for updates. How come I buy a product, and then have to wait few months (this is how long it took to fix it), until I can actually use it. He also banned me from his forums, for my complaints that he (or his support) wouldn't respond to my posts for several weeks at all. He hired brand new (newbs) team of devs to create ORBX England, and then he said it's the same quality as their demo product, which is of the highest quality they have on offer. It clearly wasn't, what was also confirmed by various customer reviews.

Since then I moved on to X-Plane in 100%, despite having a collection of payware for FSX worth more than £2000. All I can say is that I completely disagree with John V. as X-Plane is not only the future of flight simulation, but on modern hardware it's also faster, better looking, and a lot more professional than FSX, plus it's developer stable. FSX with ORBX all maxed out only plays at 25fps on dedicated PC with i7@4.5GHz, 16G Mem@2133MHz, GTX 760 2GB Card, with 4 SSD drives for OS, FSX separately, ONLY when flying default Cessna. Put PMDG 737 on it, and it crawls down to 2-5 FPS. Another thing is that FSX doesn't even use GFX much, it's 90% CPU bound, so it only confirms how little he (JV) knows about the platform itself. Everybody knows that data streaming for terrain, autogen and AI is what eats FSX CPU. Maybe what he uses is plain ORBX, no autogen, no AI, and he just flies himself, all alone, in Cessna. I believe this could give him stable 30fps. X-Plane is 100% tunable, with plenty of options to make it a smooth experience. I fly on the hardware as above, with smooth 50-60fps (monitor rate), at high settings with plenty of ground movement, HD meshes, ATC, AI, and high quality aircrafts.

P3D is not an option to anybody but actual pilot students, and pilots/instructors, so I would ignore it as a product completely, until such time LM decides to change their policy.

I believe his(JVs) remarks regarding the X-Plane could also be due to the fact that there already is a superb product for X-Plane which would make orbx insignificant, as it's free (donationware if you can), and of top quality - alpilotx's HD meshes, trees, and pro scenery.

Now we also see superb planes of the PMDG quality being released for X-Plane, and this only confirms that the X-Plane market only grows bigger, and better.

I wouldn't even listen to John Venema, as he's a self centered ignorant, and he doesn't even take his own product support seriously, or doesn't care. I bought their product (orbx England), it was ridded with bugs, and problems, and he wouldn't even acknowledge this, and his only support given to me was, disable all realism options in the FSX, and wait patiently few months for updates. How come I buy a product, and then have to wait few months (this is how long it took to fix it), until I can actually use it. He also banned me from his forums, for my complaints that he (or his support) wouldn't respond to my posts for several weeks at all. He hired brand new (newbs) team of devs to create ORBX England, and then he said it's the same quality as their demo product, which is of the highest quality they have on offer. It clearly wasn't, what was also confirmed by various customer reviews.

Since then I moved on to X-Plane in 100%, despite having a collection of payware for FSX worth more than £2000. All I can say is that I completely disagree with John V. as X-Plane is not only the future of flight simulation, but on modern hardware it's also faster, better looking, and a lot more professional than FSX, plus it's developer stable. FSX with ORBX all maxed out only plays at 25fps on dedicated PC with i7@4.5GHz, 16G Mem@2133MHz, GTX 760 2GB Card, with 4 SSD drives for OS, FSX separately, ONLY when flying default Cessna. Put PMDG 737 on it, and it crawls down to 2-5 FPS. Another thing is that FSX doesn't even use GFX much, it's 90% CPU bound, so it only confirms how little he (JV) knows about the platform itself. Everybody knows that data streaming for terrain, autogen and AI is what eats FSX CPU. Maybe what he uses is plain ORBX, no autogen, no AI, and he just flies himself, all alone, in Cessna. I believe this could give him stable 30fps. X-Plane is 100% tunable, with plenty of options to make it a smooth experience. I fly on the hardware as above, with smooth 50-60fps (monitor rate), at high settings with plenty of ground movement, HD meshes, ATC, AI, and high quality aircrafts.

P3D is not an option to anybody but actual pilot students, and pilots/instructors, so I would ignore it as a product completely, until such time LM decides to change their policy.

I believe his(JVs) remarks regarding the X-Plane could also be due to the fact that there already is a superb product for X-Plane which would make orbx insignificant, as it's free (donationware if you can), and of top quality - alpilotx's HD meshes, trees, and pro scenery.

Now we also see superb planes of the PMDG quality being released for X-Plane, and this only confirms that the X-Plane market only grows bigger, and better.

I am on the same boat. I was banned from thier forum for using caps, and I have not bough any of thier products since then ! Imagine all of the money I have saved ! 

JV is probably making a killing on FSX/PD3 since the default scenery is so horrific looking. So there is probably not much of an incentive for JV to make xplane addons. I think his terrain regions could do well in Xplane, but he would have a harder time selling airport specific addons since there is a lot of descent freeware. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I'm kind of late to this thread, having just switched to XPX last week, but let me throw in my two cents. I'm a real world pilot who has been playing with flight simulators since I was a kid, starting with the flight simulator for the Timex SInclair 1000 and Sub Logic on the Apple 2. I have never experienced the true sensation of flying more than I have with XPlane (except for the C-5 full motion sims I used in the military). FSX is a toy in comparison. Don't get me wrong it was fine when that was all we had, and I've spent thousands of hours and dollars on it. But I think what makes Orbix chafe, is that you can pickup a cheap copy of X-Plane X for 30 bucks, load up sceneries created with G2XPL for free and have an experience that visually blows FSX/P3D out of the water, even with their expensive scenery added.

There is simply no need for a company like Orbix with X-Plane and that is why they made that statement. There is no future for THEM with XPX.

But I think what makes Orbix chafe, is that you can pickup a cheap copy of X-Plane X for 30 bucks, load up sceneries created with G2XPL for free and have an experience that visually blows FSX/P3D out of the water, even with their expensive scenery added.

X-Plane 10 for $30? Where?

X-Plane 10 for $30? Where?

Regional edition at Office Max, Fry's and a few other stores.