Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

BP=0 and locked frame rate.

This will be no surprise to many, Word Not Allowed has explained how BP=0 requires a good balance with locked frame rate, but worth mentioning all the same. And a query at the end.

With my old system, i7920 at 4GHz, GTX580, I could run BP=0 without any issues. However, when I upgraded to Ivy bridge, i73770k at 4.5 GHz, still with my old GTX 580, I found BP=0 generated artifacts. Therefore I was forced to use a reject threshold instead.

Finally got round to a few tests today, and the solution was very simple.

I usually run with the FSX frame lock at 60. Yes, some will say it should be lower, but for me, locked at 60 has always worked very well, rarely any stutters and no artifacts. In GPUz, GPU usage was at 77% with the frame rate locked at 60.

I simply knocked the frame rate lock back to 50 and all artifacts were gone. In addition, GPU usage dropped to 64%.

So now I can run with BP=0 without issues.

Frame rate in the NGX cockpit, on the runway at EGLL, grey an rainy weather scenario, was about 29. Now... 44FPS. 15 frames higher.

So the question for the tech experts is... why was BP=0 and locked at 60 FPS fine with an i7920/GTX580 at 4GHz, but not with an i73770k/GTX580 at 4.5GHz?

So if you lock it at 50 you get a smooth sim. What do you think would happen if you set the fps to 30?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I tried 30, 40, 50 and 60.

Anything from 50 or lower was zero artifacts.

It's still smooth at 30. However, I'm one of those people that's sensitive to low frame rate. Locked at 50 is smooth, and preferred for me. I can spot 30 FPS in an instant, compared with higher FPS. Same for refresh rates on old CRT monitors.

Bear in mind though, I don't have complex airport add-on's installed, and settings aren't full whack. Simply because I prefer high frame rate. Some settings are lower out of preference, for example Autogen. It's pop up nature annoys me.

What do you think would happen if you set the fps to 30?

So in short, still no artifacts, fast enough frame rate for most, except I would perceive the lower frame rate.

A dumb question, you have set water to 2.X HIGH?

As I understand it, (Word Not Allowed's FSX Bible), that is the way to get rid of artefacting with UsePools=0

You could set VSync to half refresh rate for your monitor, assuming a 60Hz LCD display, and then set FPS to limited 30 in sim...

Butter smooth probably, if you can get 44 in the NGX at EGLL, (UK2000/Aerosoft or default, with/without OrbX?)

A

You get a simulator that runs like poop. (with low frames)

Really? I always thought that 30fps was nirvana.

A dumb question, you have set water to 2.X HIGH?

As I understand it, (Word Not Allowed's FSX Bible), that is the way to get rid of artefacting with UsePools=0

Yep, it's always been that way.

You could set VSync to half refresh rate for your monitor, assuming a 60Hz LCD display, and then set FPS to limited 30 in sim...

I have a 120Hz monitor. But yes, I tried the refresh rate options, made zero difference to the appearance of artifacts. What did work, as I said, was simply knocking back the frame rate lock to 50.

Butter smooth probably, if you can get 44 in the NGX at EGLL, (UK2000/Aerosoft or default, with/without OrbX?)

A

Well no, as I said above, I don't have very demanding add-ons like you mention above.

I have GEX Europe REX, UTX. All default FSX airports.

That's because you've been brainwashed by the Word Not Allowed Gang. ^_^

Just Kidding!!!!

No really

Not for me, I can spot it a mile off.

You need to remember that this 25 FPS in games is smooth stuff is in error.

It's correct for cinematography, due to the blurring nature of the medium, but not in games.

My purpose for posting this though, is the question for the tech experts at the end...

So the question for the tech experts is... why was BP=0 and locked at 60 FPS fine with an i7920/GTX580 at 4GHz, but not with an i73770k/GTX580 at 4.5GHz?

Another ridiculous and useless post.

Give her a break. She wants to get to 1000 expeditiously. :P

Not for me, I can spot it a mile off.

You need to remember that this 25 FPS in games is smooth stuff is in error.

It's correct for cinematography, due to the blurring nature of the medium, but not in games.

My purpose for posting this though, is the question for the tech experts at the end...

You should set your framerate lock in game to 30, 1/2 refresh rate, and you won't notice a difference between 30 and 60. This talk of 25 fps being in movies is completely different than video games. Movies are live action. Video games are rendered frames. You need to have certain settings to use the bp=0 tweak. High water. Framerates locked to 30.

Give her a break. She wants to get to 1000 expeditiously. :P

I would hesitate to call anyone a she just because they say they are female and use a few myspace angle pictures as their avatar that were probably stolen from someone elses profile.

You should set your framerate lock in game to 30, 1/2 refresh rate, and you won't notice a difference between 30 and 60. This talk of 25 fps being in movies is completely different than video games. Movies are live action. Video games are rendered frames. You need to have certain settings to use the bp=0 tweak. High water. Framerates locked to 30.

I would hesitate to call anyone a she just because they say they are female and use a few myspace angle pictures as their avatar that were probably stolen from someone elses profile.

Bingo! 30fps is all you need to run FSX smoothly. But, this is not always posible. We need faster CPU clock speed!!!!

Seems you didn't read my posts above. As I said... I tried the refresh rate settings, it didn't work, dropping locked frame rate did.

You need to have certain settings to use the bp=0 tweak. High water. Framerates locked to 30.

As I said, you won't be up to speed unless you read my posts. Water is high! Frame rate locked at 50 works.

Rather than a good balance with locked frame rate, for BP=0... anything less than locked at 60 clears up artifacts for me.

30fps is certainly not smooth, but there are several theories in circulations as to why this is the golden number. Some say it's good since it's 1/2 the refreshrate of standard LCD monitors, although newer monitors can be 100Hz and higher. Other say it keeps FSX working too hard since reducing frames to 30 will leave some headroom (if you use unlimited you can often fly with higher fps in less autogen dense areas). I don't know if one or both are true in a scientific sense. What I do know is that 30fps is what I use, but only as a compromise. It makes FSX run pretty smooth, but fly low and look out of the window to the left or right and you'll soon see why 30fps is too low, and the faster you fly the worse it will get.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!