Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

Converted due to OOM's in DX9

I abandoned DX10 with my old PC because with my old graphics card, their were just too many issues and after spending many hours I just could not get it to run in a stable manner.

Then, my old PC decided it didn't like electricity any longer!

New PC and heaven, all worked really well. So after a week or two MORE new purchases were made and loaded and it was time to actually fly. After spending the usual time planning I was finally airborne. Bliss. This did not last long. What were those regular dings? Not heard those for ages, then crash. Yep OOM had struck with a vengeance.

UTX, GEX, FSGenisis, FSAltutude, ExperienceX, UK2000 airports the NGX all running in Eyefinity with HEAVEY real work weather and AI was just too much for FSX.

Something had to give. I tried sliders to the left LOD TO 3.5 but the VAS was always high with no room for manoeuvre. Nothing left to do but remove some stuff I'd spent good money on. It's not in my nature to go backwards. Their had to be an answer.

I'd heard that DX10 was a way to put off the inevitable and I'd not tried it on my shiny new AMD Radeon

HD 7950 graphics card. What was their to lose?

So without doing anything to FSX I simply selected the DX10 option and monitored my VAS

SURPRISED! Was I. What a difference. Just sitting on runway 27 at Heathrow in DX9 I would be getting a VAS of 2.7 In DX10 this was 2.2 In DX9 during take off the VAS would goto 3.1 the surprise was that in DX10 this would stay at 2.2 in DX9 when going through clouds and weather the VAS would then always creep upwards. During cruise it would go to 3.6 in DX9 whilst in DX10 although higher, it stays at around the 2.5 mark. In DX9 when descent was initialised it would just go higher and higher until boom OOM. In DX10 it just hovers at 2.5 and although it creeps a little higher it goes down which DX9 just never did on my PC. So lots of VAS to spare. I did all my tests with the same weather, time and route. Cruise for 20 min at FL24 then descend.

With the strides that you DX10 guys have made since I last tried it I have no need to go back. Their is a caveat... So far the flights have been short, around an hour with no issues apart from the odd very random flash on the scenery. Should their be any major issues I guess they will just have to be overcome.

In addition, with my AMD card FPS go from 10 in DX9 to 17 in DX10 (I do all my FPS testing sitting in the NGX at runway 27 which is a UK2000 field.) and all at 5780*1024 resolution. No stutters and when taking off all the building pass by realistically. I should know lol I've seen them do that many times from a passenger window looking out, so I'm pleased with it.

Thanks guys for all your hard work. Last week I was a DX9 guy and would not even consider DX10 as offering anything. Now!...

DX10 might not be for everyone and it may not be the magic bullet for FSX but as more and more add-on's become available which push the limits ever further, DX10 does offer an alternative to OOM's without lowering settings or removing scenery. No, it's not perfect but then neither is the wife! Oops did I just say that? Well I didn't mean it haha.

Welcome to the DX-10 club,and yes it is a much more enjoyable sim experience. Enjoy!

DARKSTAR F-16

I also would like to welcome you to DX10 :yahoo: like you I have been a DX10 driver for sometime now and I will never go back to DX9. Before I purchase an add-on it has to say DX10 compatable or I do not put my hard earned cash forward. Have fun flying and enjoy nw what DX10 should had been years ago. The huge thanks goes out to Steve Parsons fr writing the tweaks and Paul J for letting us know about them and for Paul which many many +++ hours is testing the tweaks and for their endless devotion to makeing a good simulator a GREAT SIMMERS DREAM!! My :hi: goes off to these two fine gentlmen and the software companys that now writing add-ons for the FSX DX10 simmers :drinks: :good:

Les :hi:

What a great story.

My experience has been the same, as I have a 3GB card with supersampling and high detail my OOMs were bad especially over SE England.

DX10 means no longer does the video memory have to go through RAM as well, lower VAS, less OOM.

I dont have any more crashes than before, probably less.

My only problem is some payware airports lack night textures, so I have to fly into them day-only. It's worth the trade off.

The other benefit is the intangible sense of "smoothness" I get now - very good to have with Trackir!

The fix for the night textures is on it's way, guys... we just need a bit of patience.. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

The fix for the night textures is on it's way, guys... we just need a bit of patience.. :(

Does this include those blinking UTX street lights?

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

noooo, unfortunately I don't think so, Rod. They "dim" in DX9, so i think they're broke to start with.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Great! That's pretty much the only problem left for me

Looking forward to the nightime patch also. As of right now I still fly at night in DX10 because the flying itself is so much better both day and night. But virtual cockpit outside night scenery in DX9 looks much better to me so far. I hope the result is close to or even better than the way DX9 looks at night. Thank you in advance for that one.

I have been flying the former payware Alhpa PBY Catalina in DX10. The wingtip lights sometimes flash at night also. At least the landing lights work to light the ground. Although with the airplane viewed in fly by or tower view you won't actually see the landing lamps themselves lit up on the wings until the plane is actually above the threshold. Must be something in the airport file itself or something similar making them visible only after they are at the airfield. Like I said they always light up the ground below regardless of location. But the virtual cockpit outside night scenery is what I look at the most. The plane looks awesome in DX10 btw.

What are the best looking aircraft in DX10? I seem to get the idea here that the PMDG 737 NGX is the plane to have. How much better does it look in DX10? How much better than the PMDG 747-400X QOTS? I actually have that one.

Can you elaborate on this?

Some of my payware airports are missing night objects, like runway lights at flightbeam's ksfo or fsdt's kord.

Is a fix being worked on for issues like these?

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

It's somewhat speculative on my part, guys, and is based upon what I've been testing for: - missing lighting inside buildings plus grey scenery and aircraft textures. Individually - all of these have been successful, but remember, each 'fix' has to be tested against a number of objects, by a number of testers so that it will work for as many scenery and aircraft problems as is possible: Aerosoft scenery is not the same as FlyTampa scenery, FSDreamTeam, BluePrint or UK2000 scenery, and it's the same with aircraft. Each 'fix' has then to be pulled into a much more complex application, and with an installer and documentation. The installer has to be logical and user-friendly, offering the right menu choices, etc., and the documentation has to be clear and concise. I'm aware that all of the above is slowly coming together, but don't have any timeline: Steve doesn't confide in me, so i can only speculate from what I've looked at or tested.

It's on its way!

What are the best looking aircraft in DX10? I seem to get the idea here that the PMDG 737 NGX is the plane to have. How much better does it look in DX10? How much better than the PMDG 747-400X QOTS? I actually have that one.

Hi

You can fix alot of aircraft lights using shockwave lights from A2A. It needs config edits but not too hard and I can share my configs.

The best looking airliner planes in my hangar in DX10 are the Qualitywings Avro and the Coolsky DC9, with HD textures and shockwave lights it looks amazing like a new sim. The NGX looks good too, it is a big step up from their 747. I would say the NGX has the most graphically detailed VC of all addons.

I'm flying lots of stuff, GA as well and no problems in DX10 but most of mine are released in the last 2 years.