Sign in to follow this  
Pete McKay

My final goodbye to FS9: Around the world in an AFG King Air 300.

Entry 1: January 31, 2013

Today I began the last series of flights I plan to make in my trusty old FS9. I bought this copy of FS9 in 2007 after I essentially wore my first one I bought in 2003 out. Disk 4 is getting tried and is scratched from the in-and-outs of nearly daily flights, and as much as I have resisted FSX the time has come for me to start spending more time there.

The around the world flight will be my first non-commerial aircraft flight since 2006, when I did one in a Eugene Heyart Turbo Otter. That one took 28 days of flying, all in real time and in real weather. Several times I had to deviate from my flight plan because of weather, simulated conflict (in countries where real conflict was occuring at the time) and one substantial crash. I choose the AFG King Air 300 (no mods) this time because I have just finished compiling 21 different North Amercian liveries for the aircraft in one package and want to try them all out. As before my start and end will be Fresno, California (KFAT). Todays flight is a meer hop compared to what will be coming up, Fresno to Port Hardy, Canada, only 940 nm. Weather out of Fresno looked nice at my 8:18AM departure, as I now cruise over Northern California an hour and a half into my flight I can see this trip will be bitter sweet. When it's over FS9 will be retired, but this trip will be remembered.

If you are interested in the whole 194 mb (zipped) 21 livery compilation for the AFG King Air (complete aircraft) it can be found here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/4989gm06t1kr/KA300.zip

Thanks for those liveries go to Sean Doran, John Hoopes, Joerg Zeitschael, Rui Cristina and Seigfried Schaffer, Joe Zerilli, and Todd Disrud.

Guest Raul_Hernandez

Sounds good.

Best of luck with the tour.

I am sure you're doing the right thing, finally migrating to FSX. I'm sure you'll appreciate the better scenery and visuals.

Entry 1: January 31, 2013

Today I began the last series of flights I plan to make in my trusty old FS9. I bought this copy of FS9 in 2007 after I essentially wore my first one I bought in 2003 out. Disk 4 is getting tried and is scratched from the in-and-outs of nearly daily flights, and as much as I have resisted FSX the time has come for me to start spending more time there.

The around the world flight will be my first non-commerial aircraft flight since 2006, when I did one in a Eugene Heyart Turbo Otter. That one took 28 days of flying, all in real time and in real weather. Several times I had to deviate from my flight plan because of weather, simulated conflict (in countries where real conflict was occuring at the time) and one substantial crash. I choose the AFG King Air 300 (no mods) this time because I have just finished compiling 21 different North Amercian liveries for the aircraft in one package and want to try them all out. As before my start and end will be Fresno, California (KFAT). Todays flight is a meer hop compared to what will be coming up, Fresno to Port Hardy, Canada, only 940 nm. Weather out of Fresno looked nice at my 8:18AM departure, as I now cruise over Northern California an hour and a half into my flight I can see this trip will be bitter sweet. When it's over FS9 will be retired, but this trip will be remembered.

If you are interested in the whole 194 mb (zipped) 21 livery compilation for the AFG King Air (complete aircraft) it can be found here:

http://www.filefacto...6t1kr/KA300.zip

Thanks for those liveries go to Sean Doran, John Hoopes, Joerg Zeitschael, Rui Cristina and Seigfried Schaffer, Joe Zerilli, and Todd Disrud.

Are you kidding me!!! Just got FSX this Christmas. Plan on developing it but by no way does it equal what I have with FS9. It will take me at least $2000.00 an another 5 years to get FSX where my FS9 is now. That is not including upgrading my computer. FSX general aviation flying FS9 heavy metal.

This being the FS2004 forum, I do wonder why FSX people feel a need to dive in here and make a mess on the doorstep, so to speak.

It's extremely tiresome, and this forum has recently come through yet another lengthy, protracted and very irritating thread about this sim and that sim, mercifully brought to earth by what my girlfriend looks like.

Perhaps the mods could spend a little time on the content if this keeps going the way it has started off.

As to the OP: good luck, and I hope this is not going to be too painful for you (or us, for that matter).

I have tried to use FSX. in fact it is now my 3rd sim (my first one is FS2004, second is fs9). I even bought few add on, and write a review for a local magazine here in jakarta about Captain Sim 737-200 basic 1.0. Whenever I want to express and or state anything related to FSX, I know where I should go, it is not far from here the last time I checked. By the way, one should not be discouraged. It is why You do that matters, not what you do. FS2004 or FSX, we are happy simmers... and by the way, this is FS2004 forum.

have a nice weekend :)

FS2004 is still my first choice. Basically, I find it less hassle and the scenery is fine, especially with a few addons like GEXPro. etc.

I wonder what the OP meant when he said:

Disk 4 is getting tried (meaning tired?) and is scratched from all the in-and-out....

Either the program loads or it doesn't. And what sort of drive scratches the disks? I've been using the same Disk 4 since 2004 without any problems. I leave it in the drive most all the time so few in-and-outs.

I've not heard of Disk 4 getting 'tired' before. If this is going to be a problem for FS2004 users we need to take steps. More details please, OP.

Supporter.png

John

Hello Pete,

I would be interested in knowing your route for this tour. I have never flown such a project and love

the king Airs, so I'd be curious to know how you plan all this. If you have time to explain...

Thank you.

Souheil

I've not heard of Disk 4 getting 'tired' before. If this is going to be a problem for FS2004 users we need to take steps.

FS2004 is still available as new copy. I bought one not long ago...

But for saying farewell to FS2004 or which reason ever, making a round-the-world tour has a lot of style. Good luck and always three green!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Guest Raul_Hernandez

This being the FS2004 forum, I do wonder why FSX people feel a need to dive in here and make a mess on the doorstep, so to speak.

It's extremely tiresome, and this forum has recently come through yet another lengthy, protracted and very irritating thread about this sim and that sim, mercifully brought to earth by what my girlfriend looks like.

Perhaps the mods could spend a little time on the content if this keeps going the way it has started off.

As to the OP: good luck, and I hope this is not going to be too painful for you (or us, for that matter).

I cannot see one example of anyone "messing on the doorstep".

If you are referring simply to my polite, friendly post to Pete, saying "good luck, enjoy the tour, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade and better visuals", then that really is not "messing on the doorstep", and you're really far too defensive my friend. :wink:

Either the program loads or it doesn't. And what sort of drive scratches the disks? I've been using the same Disk 4 since 2004 without any problems. I leave it in the drive most all the time so few in-and-outs.

I've not heard of Disk 4 getting 'tired' before. If this is going to be a problem for FS2004 users we need to take steps. More details please, OP.

Off course it get's tired...... mine has too..... it spins each and every time you start FS9, and thus is bound to wear.

So many stange, defensive, attitude-bound posts on this thread, in response to a great OP post, about a guy about to enjoy himself on a superb world tour ........ why all the bad feeling and FS9 defensiveness.... it's very strange. I use both, and love both, and don't feel one is better than the other (or else I would not use both!).

But for saying farewell to FS2004 or which reason ever, making a round-the-world tour has a lot of style. Good luck and always three green!

I'm with Harald on this one. Yeah, pure style. A class act. Hope you enjoy the RTW.

I use and love FS9, FSX, beer, wine and food. Warm weather and crisp sunny winter days. And, to my eternal frustration, Southampton FC.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I cannot see one example of anyone "messing on the doorstep".

If you are referring simply to my polite, friendly post to Pete, saying "good luck, enjoy the tour, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade and better visuals", then that really is not "messing on the doorstep", and you're really far too defensive my friend. :wink:

yes, fair enough :)

Very clever ...im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

thanks!

to my eternal frustration, Southampton FC.

lol.. I am not sure you're referring the RW or the latest FM2013 but both are true.. I havent bought a copy but guess You may look for a lot of wonderkids

y

lol.. I am not sure you're referring the RW or the latest FM2013 but both are true.. I havent bought a copy but guess You may look for a lot of wonderkids

No mate, the real Saints. Mind you, played well against Man U overall the other night. Should've been a draw.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I use and love FS9, FSX, beer, wine and food. Warm weather and crisp sunny winter days. And, to my eternal frustration, Southampton FC.

Gavin, I believe know what you mean. At this very moment the INS if my 727 aligns - I'm on a RTW tour, too, as every winter on southern hemisphere, but the first RTW tour with the Boeing - , beside the yoke there is a glass of Mukuzani from Georgia... That's life.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg