Sign in to follow this  
donsor

Megascenery X SoCal

I just loaded Megascenery X SoCal into my new PC but I forgot how to add it to the FSX scenery setting. I went to the FSX Scenery Setting, clicked on Add, located the file I loaded, clicked on it but nothing happens. What am i doing wrong. The file is located in my D drive/program files/Socal/socal.

I still can't believe that this extremely annoying bug still hasn't been corrected in any Windows update...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I still can't believe that this extremely annoying bug still hasn't been corrected in any Windows update...

Believe this is a FSX bug when FSX tries to add scenery to the library. It's not a Windows 7/8 bug. Fortunately someone found a solution for adding scenery to the Scenery Library or we would be manually entering scenery into the scenery.cfg.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ahhh, OK, thanks for the info Jim. Something else I have learnt today!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

OK. I copied the Megascenery X folder to the FSX addon scenery. But when I go to the FSX Scenery Library and clicked on Add, it takes me to a Select Scenery directory Box. But when i select the scenery folder and clicked OK, nothing happens. It did not add the folder to the FSX Scenery Library. BTW, in the Select Scenery Directory Box, at the bottom is a Directory blank bar and below is a Scnery Title blank bar also. Do these hae to be filled out?

OK. I copied the Megascenery X folder to the FSX addon scenery. But when I go to the FSX Scenery Library and clicked on Add, it takes me to a Select Scenery directory Box. But when i select the scenery folder and clicked OK, nothing happens................

So far so good. Now, once you click OK (and nothing happens), ONLY do the very unintuitive thing of clicking any white space in the "Select Scenery" box, and you should be good. Repeatedly clicking the "OK" box will erase the title field, which will still work- but your scenery library entry will have no title.

I hope I'm right- all from memory...

Thanks, Bruce.

OK. I copied the Megascenery X folder to the FSX addon scenery. But when I go to the FSX Scenery Library and clicked on Add, it takes me to a Select Scenery directory Box. But when i select the scenery folder and clicked OK, nothing happens. It did not add the folder to the FSX Scenery Library. BTW, in the Select Scenery Directory Box, at the bottom is a Directory blank bar and below is a Scnery Title blank bar also. Do these hae to be filled out?

Er... you didn't read my answer that has the link to the solution of your problem? The least you can do when you ask something here is read the answers. ^_^

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the help. JvanE. I,ve read the link to your suggested solution to the problem - several times. I've also read the submitted answers by others. However, I'm not getting any headway and I'm getting chastised because I can't get it to work. So let's just drop it. The Megascenery worked in my other PC with WinXP and i answered the question about what OS I am using. So until I can figure out something let's just consider this question as resolved.

Believe this is a FSX bug when FSX tries to add scenery to the library. It's not a Windows 7/8 bug. Fortunately someone found a solution for adding scenery to the Scenery Library or we would be manually entering scenery into the scenery.cfg.

Best regards,

Jim

I have to disagree here, as it doesn't do this on my Vista system, neither on my previous XP setup! There is a tendency to blame everything that happens while running in the newer OS' on FSX, when the fact is these OS' weren't even thought about when FSX was developed. It should be of no surprise if something doesn't work in that environment, that worked fine in the OS versions it was originally designed for.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d