Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

Finally - Answers to my high powered system's low performance

I've been battling low FPS at highly detailed airports on my system, particularly at night. So I began the process of troubleshooting my drastically low FPS results and I learned quite a bit. DX9 produces higher performance on my system than DX10, with minimums in the 25-30 range and averages much higher but it also leads to OOMs so it's a no-go. DX10 does look better as well, IMHO. Lucid Virtu is basically a lost cause as it isn't updated often enough and therefore causes graphical anomolies or crashes with the majority of NV graphics drivers so I finally disabled it.

I came to two solutions for my performance issues: First of all, FSX needs to be opened and closed in windowed mode on my main screen. If it has been closed during the previous session on either of my other screens the performance will drop once re-opened and moved to the main screen. I fly in full screen also and there is a small performance hit moving from windowed to full screen, on the order of 1 or 2 FPS perhaps. Second, the mouse pointer should be off the main screen and out of the cockpit whenever possible. My FPS before was anywhere from 9-13 minimum but it is now around 16-17 minimum with virtually all settings maxed in the NGX sitting short of the active runway (default) @ FSDT's KJFK looking out the right side of the cockpit toward the terminal with Aerosoft Manhattan X in the background and UT2 traffic settings @ 80% commercial, 100% GA.

I wonder why DX9 gives you OOMs? Are those scenery add-ons that heavy? My machine is nowhere near yours and I fly fine with most graphics/terrain maxed, PMDG MD11, and UT2 traffic at 100 planes. I've never experienced an FSX crash...

Clark

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg

What resolution are you guys running at?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I run 2560x1440 on a single screen, I have 3 such screens and am still working on trying to get surround mode to work properly at full resolution of 7680x1440.

now around 16-17 minimum with virtually all settings maxed in the NGX s
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Wow, if I got that crappy of FPS, I would probably pull my hair out. I get 30+ Fps with the NGX at Major addon airports.

I get no OOM's or anything!

How? I don't max out my sliders.

Ah. I only run FSX on one screen at 1920x1080 (windowed). Well, I'm happy you fixed your problems!

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Wow, if I got that crappy of FPS, I would probably pull my hair out. I get 30+ Fps with the NGX at Major addon airports.

Got to agree with this. I need a minimum of around 27-28FPS, anything below and you notice the frames, which isn't good enough.

Scarlett, are you suggesting we don't max out our sliders? :)

You can do whatever you want- it's your simulator.

But when you have 10 Fps, studders, CTD, and OOM errors, don't come to Avsim crying and whining

Yes, we get more than enough of that ever since you brought your presence to avsim a few months ago.

And again, you keep following my posts. (You obviously have nothing better to do, or else you wouldn't go out of your way to keep posting like this)

And you obviously can't read, because the join date of my profile was december of 2011.

Those of you decrying how horrible my FPS is, did you notice I said minimum? The average is much higher, and the sim never stutters or becomes unflyable.

Those of you decrying how horrible my FPS is, did you notice I said minimum? The average is much higher, and the sim never stutters or becomes unflyable.

So what is your average on that same situation Tech "with virtually all settings maxed in the NGX sitting short of the active runway (default) @ FSDT's KJFK looking out the right side of the cockpit toward the terminal with Aerosoft Manhattan X in the background and UT2 traffic settings @ 80% commercial, 100% GA."?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I have to agree with summer1 (scarlet), I personally don't have my sliders at max, I also did not have my sliders set to max in FS9 nor would I still now if I played FS9 anymore. FSX's best results both visually and performance sometimes come with a bit of tweaking and balancing between slider settings and your tweaked .cfg settings. FSX is not like most games where if you have the hardware you just crank the settings to max, FSX requires are more subtle approach. Think of FSX more like a woman, you cant just be basic and brutal with her, she (FSX) requires you to spend some time getting to know her so that you can find that "sweet spot" for settings, and once you do FSX will give you exactly what you want, same rule applied to me for FS9 as well.

Disclaimer: The use of the word woman in reference to FSX is not designed to be sexist or sexual in any contrast; the use of such words above came with the consideration that the vast majority of forum users on AVSIM and in flight sim in general are heterosexual male's, this was to be used as a common base of communication. If for any reason should any female feel insulted by what was said above, it was not my intention nor my inclination to cause such an event, you have my apologies.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg