Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Replacing right MFD with stock G1000 for FPS boost?

I got annoyed with the poor frame rate of the CT182T on my system, especially since every Carenado plane I've bought before has been very FPS-friendly (including the "HD" C337). There are also periodic dips every few seconds where you lose an additional 5-10 FPS over the already low FPS, bringing the overall frame rate close to the single-digits on my system over complex scenery.

The "solution" has been to turn off the right MFD, which improves the FPS noticeably and removes the FPS spikes. However it looks ugly and unrealistic with a black screen covering half the panel. So I tried simply shoehorning the default C172's G1000 panel into the Carenado plane, and to my surprise it actually seems to work OK and didn't totally break everything completely. Even most of the soft-keys and buttons seem to work fine. This seems to have solved the FPS dips and improved overall FPS somewhat, though this add-on is still not exactly frame rate friendly.

You can still access the pop-up window to operate the MFD properly. This tweak simply provides a simple moving-map in the VC to improve the immersion and realism vs simply switching it off altogether.

Replacing it is as simple going to the [Vcockpit02] section in the panel.cfg, finding the line

gauge00=CAR_G1000!G1000_MFDVC, 0,0, 512,329

and replacing it with

gauge00=G1000!MFD_c172, 0,0, 508,319

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thank you so much JimmiG for this little gem!

It has made the CT182T enjoyable to fly again (smooth frames over Orbx scenery).

Would you have a fix for the Carenado SR22 right hand MFD too by any chance?

Kind regards.

Tim...

Last night I had a go at it myself and have managed to "shoehorn" the C172 G1000 into the right hand side MFD on the Carenado SR22. 

Just like JimmiG's fix for the CT182T, it reduces the frame rates quite a bit and looks better than having a blank screen.....  The big downer is that it is default.   Until Carenado can make their G1000's a lot more FPS friendy, this will suffice i guess..??  At least now i can use the aircraft with out blurries and stutter along the way.

I will post the fix in the "Carenado SR22" thread on this forum.

Cheers.

Tim...

Hi JimmiG,

I know this topic is old but I have tried recently the Carenado C208B Grand Caravan EX that has the same G1000 glass cockpit and the performance is much better than CT 182T, no periodic dips and locked 30 fps with ORBX scenery. For CT 182T I can get close to 30 fps lock but a lot of sttutering and dips, as mentioned. Do you think replacing the G1000 set with the one in C208B could bring the same performace to C182T? Is it possible?