Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

Problem with AISmooth

Hi folks,

yesterday I had a strange problem with the little AISmooth application. I run version 1.12 regularly together with FS2004 (v. 9.1), FSHotSFX (v. 1.1) and FSCommander (v. 9.2.1). I have a registered FSUIPC v.3.999w. When I arrived at VTBD Bangkok Don Mueang, coming from Sanya Phoenix ZJSY, still ca. 20 miles far from the airport, AISmooth stopped working with the well known CTD message. I wasn't able to start it again as long I was in vicinity of Bangkok; it crashed everytime I started it within one or two seconds. FS2004 itself and the other applications worked o.k. until I ended up shutting down FS2004 as usual.

After finishing my flight, I startet my FS2004 and the above said applications again at ZJSY; AISmooth worked again. Then I started another flight just from VTBD to VTBS; initially AISmooth worked but crashed again 20 miles away from VTBS.

Now I'm asking myself, if AISmooth has an incompatibility

- either with some sort of aircraft/AI aircraft or scenery (I use Don Mueang 2010 and VTBS2008 by Siamavsim; I have AI traffic made of WoAI or AIG flightplans for all important airlines with 100 % traffic, therefor AISmooth has a lot of work), but I think this is less probably.

- Or is there a known incompatibility with one of my applications I run beside FS2004 or even with some FSUIPC setting they require? But this is as strange, too, as I used these applications and settings alltogether for long now.

Hence my first action today will be testing my yesterday constellation without AI traffic.

Does anybody have experiences with AISmooth together with the programs said above? Many thanks in advance!

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Harald,

VTBS is not a 'stock' airport and that might be causing AI Smooth some problems. You might try removing the AISmooth_RW Data Base File from the modules folder, starting AISmooth and a default flight at VTBS and see if it will find and include VTBS in the rebuilt data base file. The AI aircraft and flight plans should not be a problem and I don't know of any required settings or changes in FSUIPC that are relevant. I have VTSB2006 by Siamavsim installed and if needed I can start a flight there with AISmooth running and see what happens.

Regards,

Mel

I run version 1.12 regularly together with FS2004 (v. 9.1),

I'm running v. 1.11 and cannot find 1.12. Where did you get it? I think the designer does not support the program now

Supporter.png

John

Thanks Mel,

if you have the time... I will try your suggestion in any case. Currently I'm in my office at work and "wait" for the evening.

By the way, if you want to upgrade, you can get the 2008 version of VTBS together with the 2010 version of VTBD here:

http://www.avsimrus....mms=1=

Betelgeuse, the v. 1.12 was included in a purchased Just Flight Traffic 2005 Box (and it's the only feature of this software which I do still use). While a google search gives a handful results, all links to v.1.12 - and particularly those to the developer's site - seem to be dead. But I found it here:

http://www.avsimrus....download&hl=�-8

P.S.: There are more entries with AISmooth vs. VTBS problems; obviously VTBS isn't in the AISmooth database indeed.

P.P.S.: I read somewhere that v. 1.2 would work with FSX and FS2004. And v1.2 is in the library.

Regards,

Harald.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

By the way, if you want to upgrade, you can get the 2008 version of VTBS together with the 2010 version of VTBD here:

Thanks for the link to the scenery, I'll check it out.

Mel

I'm running v. 1.11 and cannot find 1.12. Where did you get it? I think the designer does not support the program now

1.2 works with FS9 and FSX. It is in the FSX utilities section here.

aismooth_v120.zip

1.2 comes with documentation.

I switched to v1.2 now, too, and tested it a while at several airports and then at VTBS. Initially it did work so far. But - strange enough - no a/c landed, so that I could not test the application under all necessary circumstances. Will report further.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

But - strange enough - no a/c landed, so that I could not test the application under all necessary circumstances.

Hi Harald,

Were there AI aircraft on the ground at VTBS? If I remember correctly, when I originally installed VTBS a long time ago the airport was empty until I started checking my AI flight plans. I had to add the airport to the airport text files that were sending the AI to the old and now closed airport somewhere in the vicinity. In the flight plans I searched and replaced that airport code with VTBS and all was good. However I am sure that with more current plans that has been dealt with, . . . so just sharing a thought.

Regards,

Mel

Hi Mel,

yes, VTBS is full of aircraft standing at the gates and taxiing to the runways for departure - but not a single landing plane. Perhaps I was there at the false time...

VTBD is only used be the airlines which are supposed to do so - Nok/Nok Mini, Air Asia and Thai Orient.

Regards, Harald

EDIT: Yes, I WAS there at the false time. Now I observed a landing plane; as soon as it was labeled, AISmooth crashed. Now that I know that there are known problems with AISmooth at VTBS, I can live with it. What I only couldn't live with is uncertainty about the cause of a the CTD.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I did a little examination of the db files and found they were written in the SQL Lite database language. i located an SQL Lite browser and editor from the project at source forge where it is developed.

The database entry for VTBS lacks any numerical data but has the name Chon Buri Sattahip.

VTBD has the name Bangkok, Elevation 9.0, Runway Length 12139, Lattitude 13.91667, Longitude 100.61667.

The coordinates need translation which I can get to later.

This is file AISmooth_RO.db. AISmooth_RW.db appears to be built as the airports are used as I noticed recent airports I used were only in this file.

What I need to know is if VTBS is the old VTBD or was the airport moved and ICAOs swapped. Right now I just duplicated the coordinates. I think I have the new freeware one installed so I need to do a little digging in data filers used in my banner product to get some coordinates and other information and then in a couple of days fix that location and send the file.

Anyway, that might explain the crash as an ai appeared and correct type of data was not present to build the entry in the cache database.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but Overland's RKSI also causes AISmooth v1.2 to crash. Purchased the scenery couple nights back and just completed a flight from Toronto a few hours ago and AISmooth crashed about 30NM out of RKSI. Tried to reboot AISmooth but it was an instant crash. Not sure what's going on but it's kind of annoying.

Ron, VTBD is the old Don Mueang airport (which was temporary closed after Suvarnabhumi was built, but reopened soon), the former international airport of Bangkok. As far as I know, VTBS is the complete new code for the complete new Suvarnabhumi airport; I wonder that the code is assigned to Chon Buri Sattahip, as this airport has no ICAO code according to Wikipedia.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I modified the main database file AISmooth_RO.db correcting I hope VTBS and VTBD (had incorrect current information). I can send a zip. In return you need to send me your AISmooth_RW.db so I can clean the cache up. Send me a PM with your e-mail if you want it and we'll see if it works.

The author probably has a utility to create the main file extracting data from FS or another database.

I'll stick to this one since I had to do this manually.

Hi Ron,

I have sent you a PM. I will send you my AISmooth_RW.db back as soon as I am back from work and have brought my little son to bed. (At the moment it's 09:50 am here in Germany...). As an alternative, I could try just to delete AISmooth_RW.db to let AISmooth build a new one? This should work as AISmooth comes without this file originally.

By the way, what SQL editor did you use and how can I get it exactly? There are some other airports I needed to edit, for instance UGTB (where I am very often), for which the AISmooth_RO.db shows still the UGGG code. Fortunately, there is not as much traffic that I need AISmooth necessarily.

Many thanks for your work!

Harald

P.S. No idea about RKSI, as both RKSI and its predecessor RKSS are in the db (as far I could see opening the file with notepad). Perhaps there's another airport in vicinity with landing a/c which isn't in the db?

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Update: I have now installed a SQL database manager myself and added a new VTBS entry for Bangkok Suvarnabhumi to AISmooth_RO.db. I managed to delete the VTBS entry for Chon Buri Sattahip (luckily, because I wasn't able to delete other entries). Now AISmooth works for Suvarnabhumi, too! I deleted AISmooth_RW.db so that a new one was built. Thanks to all of you who gave input here, especially to Ron!

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg