Hi guys.

I'm thinking of buying myself a new GPU for my FSX rig. I'm wondering if you have any experience with Ti cards vs. non-Ti cards. Do you know if FSX benefits anything extra from those two letters, Ti? Or will 660 non-Ti perform just as well in FSX as the Ti version?

Thanks,

Bogganero.

I am also in the process of getting a new rig and I was told if I have enough money to get a 660ti then just get the 670. Apparently the ti isn't good from what I heard.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

I've seen some benchmarks where the Ti version in some cases gets almost 20% FPS increase. But the benchmarks usually only cover the latest games and not FSX.

I went from a 560Ti to a 660Ti last fall and I'm completely happy about it. It made FSX much smoother and newer games like Total War 2 Shogun, I can crank up the graphics and I still get higher frame rates than I would with the 560.

Thank you Wally for your input. It makes perfect sense to me that FSX performs a lot better with 660 Ti than with 560 Ti. But do you think that ~100 USD upgrade from 660 to 660 Ti is worth it from Flight Simulator X perspective?

I got the 660 because the Ti was just too expensive at the time and its decent. I use dx10 now and the load to the GPU in heavy areas is about 75% in overcast nonetheless. I'm sure the ti version runs about 20% faster but it does the job admirably for the time being. That said if you have the money then definitely get the ti.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Got the Gigabyte 660Ti recently. Can't hear the cooling fans, which are quieter than on Asus/Msi according to some reviews, over other fans. Could hear my old 570's fan clearly. I play other games as well so it was an easy choice. AA can be cranked up to 64XV12 with load under 75% on 1920x1200.

I got the MSI PE 660Ti card which is the first of the two cards you listed, bogganero. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

It runs very cool and I never hear the fan crank up at all. Compared to my old GTX 285 card which sounded like a hair dryer sometimes, both the 560Ti and the 660Ti editions were very quiet.

Using the excellent MSI Afterburner software, I overclocked the card by about 13%.

bogganero, I can't really say if the Ti version is worth the extra money over the 660 version, but I always purchase the Ti versions if available.

I used this chart to compare different cards: http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html

The chart indicates that overall the 660Ti is about 15% faster than the 660 version. So I would say it's your call whether to spend the extra money or not.

Nice post Wally. Think I'm going for the MSI PE 660 Ti card :)

The only concern about it is that my case is tiny (http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=317)... and I wonder if the case temperature will increase too much with this type of cooler. Silverstone recommends a reference type cooler which covers the entire PCB and blows hot air out of the case.

But I'll give it a shot and see how it goes ^_^