Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Addons that ruined my day

Well, it has been a nice winter. FSX has been running like a dream and I've been having a lot of fun, but then I fell into temptation and installed a few airport addons. Suddenly my perfectly stable FSX setup goes astray. I saw the signs in the "Add-ons" menu of FSX. Below my trusted FSUIPC titles like "Addon Manager", "VistaMare" and "Couat|-powered products" appeared and I rightfully feared the worst. Just as I started my first flight, FSX freezes. I Ctrl+Alt+Del and stop FSX, reboot and try again. Sure enough. Same thing happens. Angry to the point of knocking my Saitek yoke into a coma I reboot and try a third flight from a different airport. A sigh of relief as the entire flight goes well, until I land and mess around in the menues. This time the Windows Event Viewer has managed to point out the little devil, uiautomationcore.dll. Two new developers are now added to my black-list.

I used to buy 2-3 addons a month for years, but it just keeps getting harder and harder to find anyone to buy from. The total lack of usability and a common "ISO/ASA standard" for addons makes installing one a huge risk, either by being poorly coded in the first place, or the cocktail effect of bringing one ingredient too many into the mix. Why on earth can't developers at least make installing dlls and crap into FSX itself optional. Just add the scenery to my scenery library and quit messing with my FSX.

Sure, I know there is a fix for the last error. Copy that "other version" of uiautomationcore.dll to the root of the FSX folder, but that is my point. Why the heck should I have to do that? I've had no such error in FSX before, and I've logged 500+ hours in FSX since getting my new PC. My only mistake has been buying addons, because, before I installed them everything was pure bliss!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I hear you. I'm going through a re-install right now and I'm debating with myself about which add-ons get restored and which ones don't. I had my struggles a couple of years ago with Couatl, so I'm thinking seriously that a lot of airports are going to stay default this time. Where I'm coming out is this: if the add-on needs any kind of non-standard installation scheme - changing keyboard assignments, messing with .dll files, that kind of thing - it's out. I want a simple, clean-running setup this time.

Sorry you're having issues. Addon manager and coatl are fs dream team and I've never had an issue with them.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have no issues with FsDreamteam airports. I also have many other add ons installed and my FSX install runs without issue. I have the uiautomationcore.dll file fix in place .

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Sorry you're having issues. Addon manager and coatl are fs dream team and I've never had an issue with them.

Same here, using FSDT products for 3 years now with no issue.

FSDT offers some of the best support in the business so I would recommend the OP take up the issue on their forum where Umberto could help trouble shoot. I'd quit FSX before I gave up their products and had to fly into default airports. Besides the fact their big hubs like ORD, JFK, LAX and DFW out perform the stock versions on my rig. The default DFW is almost unusable when cranked up with details but their DFW gives me a solid 20 to 30 fps with twice the detail and features. Same with their others for me.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FSDT offers some of the best support in the business

Agree with that - Umberto's support is top notch.

What is uiautomationcore.dll and what is uiautomationcore.dll fix Please?

Lynn

..... This time the Windows Event Viewer has managed to point out the little devil, uiautomationcore.dll. Two new developers are now added to my black-list

...Why on earth can't developers at least make installing dlls and crap into FSX itself optional. Just add the scenery to my scenery library and quit messing with my FSX....

Why the heck should I have to do that? I've had no such error in FSX before, and I've logged 500+ hours in FSX since getting my new PC.

Frankly, you are better off with default airports.

Trying to put a blame on a developer because of your incorrect assumptions is simply ridiculous. You are simply blaming the whole world for your FSX CTD misery. Why dont you sit down, grab a beer and think carefully before writing such stuff.

Firstly, uianimationcore.dll CTD is infamous and a little search on google will bring you results. The CTD is generated when using the menu with mouse clicks of more than 20 times~ (+/- 1) Personally, every time I install Windows 7/Vista, I just simply delete all traces of uianimationcore.dll instead of replacing it from an earlier windows etc. It does wonders for me and I have been using this method for almost 2+ years now. Try it and you will no longer see uianimationcore.dll CTD errors.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Instead of blaming scenery developers, you should be pointing your finger at Microsoft and the ACES team that left FSX such a mess when it released.

I would say over 90% of the issues FSX has it because of poor coding, code missing, and general nonsense like DX10 not truly supported.

Companies like FSDreamteam and the like try to work around FSX's obstacles as best they can, and for the most part they do a great job at it.

If you want to ignore the fact that the way FSX was designed is the problem, go ahead. You're sorely misinformed.

Btw...I have products that use both Addon Manager and Coutl and I have zero issues with CTD. As explained above, the fix to uiautomationcore has nothing to do with 3rd party scenery but rather it's a UI problem with FSX itself.

Do some research next time before you slam reputable developers.

Okay, as Joshua say, just delete the dll, what is it for then?

Any problems with other programs if deleted?

Goran Arvnell

If you want a perfectly running PC or FSX their is a way...

... Don't load anything. :)

Every time you load anything you take a chance and although 99.9% of the time everything goes well, occasionally some random person somewhere will have an issue. For example, when Orbyx England came out I couldn't wait to install it. After the install I had issues where all the buildings in London had disappeared. This caused me to reload FSX. This wasn't the fault of Orbyx or FSX but of some unknown random byte that wasn't where it was supposed to be or had been changed by some other random event.

The post could be titled 'how many times have you had issues when loading software?' :)

thats the problem with fsx addon after addon it gets sick, fsx actually is very stable without addons, but without the addons fsx wouldnt be a realistic sim, specially like ngx imagin flying the default 737 haha.

im sure though that i have tweaked more than i have been in the sky.

Okay, as Joshua say, just delete the dll, what is it for then?

Any problems with other programs if deleted?

I so far have not had any problems with any applications after removing that dll.At least, thats in my experience. Your mileage may vary, but for standard daily to daily use, (Chrome,IE,winrar etc) they all work fine.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Simmerhead hit the nail. Things could be simple and standards are badly needed. If I buy an addon, aircraft or scenery, that´s all I want. If we go to extremes, I thínk it is in the grey area legally speaking, if I think I install a scenery and then find funny stuff all around in my PC. In my case I have to monitor my C drive on a weekly basis in order to lenghten its life as I created it too small when I built this rig. Windows 7 required around 13 gigs space, so I gave her 40 to be sure. How naive I was.

What comes to companies mentioned above I knew beforehand about those couatls etc. and kept myself away from their products for years, but due to a sales crazyness I finally gave in. Airports are really nice, but my C drive is a bit fatter again even though I specifically install everything possible to other drives. And did I fight to get the products installed I paid for? Yes I did. I had to compromise the safety and functionality of my PC and shut down Anti-virus and Firewall to get those installers to my PC and install them.FSDT is not the only one though. I spent hours on my PC during the Milviz Madness sale to get a plane addon I very much wanted, I failed due to the installation nightmare with Flight1 wrapper and virus warnings. Credit card was charged during the futile process, but luckily Flight1 money back system worked faultlessly. What about PMDG? Yes, I own their J41. Or do I?

Installation took maybe 3 hours. I used half of my "activations" during the process before I finally realized that the activation window appears behind my FSX. The installer installed the plane and the dubious Flexnet licencing module which connects my PC somewhere when I touch my J41. Even though we are in a innocent looking hobby, we have only the addon producer´s word that their "modules" do no harm. I don´t mind if they find out that I visit naughty web pages sometimes, but I do mind if my identity is stolen or my credit card is used by somebody else.

Also I´m worried about my more simple addon activations, I probably go on simming a many years and it is most certain that these companies now around us will be cut to half in near future, so what happens to our addons then?

I have found Aerosoft and Captain Sim working quite good but even they see it their right to install their "extras" where ever they like, which I strongly resist.

This was indeed a good point by simmerhead. I agree with him fully.